XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Lowering Springs and Struts on 09 XF SC??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014 | 10:32 PM
|
Default Lowering Springs and Struts on 09 XF SC??

Hey guys, I need some suggestions and expertise from those of you who may be able to provide it.

I was thinking of lowering my car about an 1 - 1.2 inches max. I spoke with with one of the reps at Eibach and with one of the reps at H&R. Both obviously told me that they offered the best, but I have also read people talking about Mina Gallery's lowering springs, and Spires lowering springs.

Additionally I spoke with a technician at the Tire Rack who gave me a little more background on what it would take to lower a car. He said that if I didn't get struts that my suspension would deteriorate a lot quicker and then asked if I had adaptive suspension...which I do. He also advised me to speak with a tech at the dealer to see if they could someone re-calibrate my stock suspension with the new springs.

So that brings me here...hopefully to get some answers. So here are a few questions:

1. What do you all think about lowering a Jaguar XF SC about 1 - 1.2 inches MAX just to give it a more aggressive stance?
2. What would you do about the springs and struts? What brand?
3. What about the adaptive suspension?

I know some of you don't like lowering your cars, but I am just trying to make an educated decision so any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Old 05-22-2014 | 09:10 AM

I might also lower the car, however the ride height stock is pretty good from the factory. You might consider wheels/tires with greater widths/offsets to 'fill out' the fenders more, especially in the rear.

Having lowered several of my previous cars on stock struts, I can tell you that the Tire Rack rep is correct; the stock struts do deteriorate faster than on the stock springs due to the higher spring rates. So, while stock struts might last 100K miles on stock springs, on lowering springs they might last 70K miles, depending entirely on the amount of drop and spring rate. Obviously an Eibach Sportline spring (with a higher spring rate and more aggressive drop) will wear out your struts a lot faster than a Pro-Kit spring (which is generally only about 50% stiffer than most stock springs). Since you have the adaptive suspension you probably don't want to swap out the struts for a set of Koni Yellows. I think you'll be fine on the stock struts, but you will have to replace them a bit sooner.

I myself have used Eibach Pro-Kits on several previous cars and I've always been exceptionally happy with them. They don't 'pop' or 'creak,' and they fit perfectly. The ride height lowering is usually around 1" or so, and the ride itself is usually "nicely firm" but still comfortable enough for daily driving.

The adaptive suspension alters the damping and rebound of the struts based on roll rate, yaw and other factors and also whether you've selected the sport button. As far as requiring a recalibration after lowering, I'm not sure I agree with the Tire Rack rep who says it needs to be taken to the dealership to be recalibrated. Since it's not an air suspension that provides leveling, the dampers (as far as I know) do not sense ride height. For example, if I put two adults in the back seat and a couple of suit cases in the boot, my rear suspension drops at-least 1". It does not affect the damping or rebound of the active suspension. It might firm up the dampers more under aggressive driving due to the additional weight shifting from left-to-right under hard cornering, and the DSC might kick in more to keep me going straight (and right-side up), but the dampers should not be affected by lowering the actual ride height with different springs. I think the Tire Rack rep might have presumed the Adaptive Suspension was a 'leveling' suspension, not a Dynamic suspension.

Last edited by aliensporez; 05-22-2014 at 09:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gsaenz84 (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014 | 02:37 PM
|

Awesome response man! I greatly appreciate all of your expertise, your advice definitely helped me a lot in making my decision. After doing some additional research I went ahead and purchased the lowering springs from Main Gallery that are engineered and manufactured in Germany by a company called Vogtland. They drop the car approx 1.2" and that is more than enough for me. I actually don't want it any lower.

But again, thank you for all of your expertise with the adaptive suspension. Your example made complete sense to me and I feel a little more comfortable with my decision. My car only has about 45K miles on it, and I decided on this mainly for looks not performance. I drive about 15 miles a day if that to and from work and other than that it is garage kept, or I take it out for a spin on the weekends. Meaning, hopefully the wear and tear of everything isn't expedited tremendously by this mod.

I was just worried that this would somehow trigger some sort of check engine light which then would be a PITA. But after speaking with the guys at Mina and some other reps they said that it shouldn't be an issue. From what I have read this hasn't been an issue for others as well.

I'll post some before and after pics. I am installing my Mina exhaust and Mina Front Splitters this weekend, and hopefully installing my springs by next. Keep an eye out for the pics.

Old 05-22-2014 | 02:48 PM

Looking forward to the Pics...I have the Mina Exhaust and the sound is awesome..you may want to think about K&N filters if you haven't already? I have also put in TRAK Spacers 15MM in front and back...looks awesome...Springs are next. Good Luck.

Old 05-23-2014 | 12:05 PM
|

Originally Posted by Gpalace
Looking forward to the Pics...I have the Mina Exhaust and the sound is awesome..you may want to think about K&N filters if you haven't already? I have also put in TRAK Spacers 15MM in front and back...looks awesome...Springs are next. Good Luck.

Yeah I have the K&N filters as well that I am going to be installing simultaneously with the exhaust...can't wait to get them on.

Old 08-29-2014 | 09:38 AM

What happened to posting pictures? I am looking to do this exact same thing and wanting to see the before and after shots?