XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

'Magnetic' Front License Plate Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking 'Magnetic' Front License Plate Mount

Here in Northern California, I've heard that there is not much risk of being pulled over when you're driving for a missing front plate, but that there is a far greater risk of getting a ticket whilst parked. What I need therefore is an easy way of fitting a front plate when I park in a more risky place, but that's easily removable for most of the time.

I can't take full credit for originality here, I did a lot of searching the 'net for possible front plate mount options that avoided drilling the bumper, and stumbled upon a 911 owner who'd used rare earth magnets to mount his... I simply copied, modifying the method a little.

I have a 2012 XF Portfolio Sport, and I was given a front plate bracket by the dealer when I picked up the car, but it wasn't fitted luckily, just lying in the trunk.

This factory supplied bracket is designed to be screwed into the front bumper, covering the center painted section bellow the upper mesh grill. I figured that this painted section would be hollow, so I'd easily be able to glue some magnets on the inside.

I ordered 2 packs of 5 3/4" diameter cylinder magnets from Lee Valley Tools, as well as a strip of 10 rubber 'High Friction Discs'. While I waited for these things to arrive, I consulted the Jaguar Topix service site for details on how to remove the front bumper so that I'd be able to access that all important area.

The first thing I did after the magnets arrived was to prepare the factory plate bracket. I'd read that the strength of the magnet is focussed forward by adding a washer to the back of each magnet, so I started by sticking a slightly oversize fender washer to each magnet with double sided tape. I then put high strength double sided outdoor foam tape on the back of the fender washer, and this will be used to actually stick the magnet & washer pack to the plate bracket.

The front of the bumper is slightly curved, so you need to pack out the magnets at the edges of the bracket so that they continue to touch the bumper evenly. I used 2 magnets and 1 washer for each side of the bracket, and 1 magnet and 1 washer for the two inner mounts. Finally, I put one rubber 'High Friction Disc' on each magnet, as this is going to be the actual contact point to the paint on the bumper.

With the bracket prepared, the big task of removing the bumper lay ahead of me. This turned out to be actually pretty easy; the most difficult part was separating the connector for the front parking sensors.

Once the bumper was off, and maneuvered out of the way a little, I was disappointed to see that there is a nice thick piece of styrofoam right where I want to put my magnets.

I contemplated cutting into this, but the wires for the parking sensors, and the pipe for the headlight washers is attached to it, so that isn't really an option.

Before giving up, I disconnected all of the parking sensors, unclipped the washer pipes and pulled out the foam to see what might be possible. To my amazement, the foam doesn't fill the gap, and there is plenty of space underneath it for the magnets that I'd bought.

This time, the high strength foam tape was attached to one side of the magnet face, and the standard double sided tape to the other. Another washer was again attached to this tape.

Before sticking these magnets on, I cleaned the area inside of the bumper, then positioned the front bracket in place. Without removing the backing of the foam tape, I then let the magnets find their way on the inside of the bumper. When all four were located, I took one magnet at a time off, removed it's backing, and carefully placed it back.

After this was done, everything was put back together, and tested. I got very worried when I started the car and I got a message saying that the parking aids were not working... but I discovered that I'd not plugged in one of the sensors!

Final Fitted & Removed Images:

Last edited by Nezil; 03-02-2012 at 01:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nezil:
Doryphoros86 (03-02-2012), Need4Spd (03-04-2012)
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Nezil, thank you for the detailed description and the photos. That's very creative and l like the idea. By the way, your XF looks beautiful!!!!

Would you mind posting some of the pictures in the XF photo gallary thread on top of the page?

And, your XF looks beautiful....wait, i already said that. I can't help it.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thank you for posing this very useful how to. It is incredible that you took the time to document all the necessary steps. I think front license plates are horrendous on just about all cars, and this is a huge step towards reducing the desecration of beautiful machinery.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Great post, attractive car , good job

Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Excellent idea and execution

Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a great idea. They should just ditch front license plates in my opinion. I see plenty of Corvettes without one.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

mine is still in the trunk....so far so good in Ontario.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,288 Likes on 8,569 Posts
Old 03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nifty idea.....the magnets you have sure are strong, you probably could drive with the plate on if you desired. Beautiful car....almost choose the 2012 but the 2011 deal was just too good and it too was dressed in black.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used this mod for the first time today on a trip to Carmel. I'm not sure I needed it there though because there were loads of hot cars without front plates that I saw parked up. Anyhow I forgot to take it off when I first set off, and as you say macc24, it's plenty strong enough to drive with; but that defeats the point!

Jayt2, I did look at the retractable options, but the front of the 'Sport' bumper is already really low, and scrapes too often as it is... a retractable bracket underneath I think would be destroyed in minutes.