XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Maintaining your leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Maintaining your leather seats

I thought i would post this on here, as it seems like it reflects the right way of maintaining leather seats.

In 1980 the US Government began to get involved with the paint process used by auto makers, namely the volatile organic compounds (VOC) content of the petroleum based paints and solvents being used. The allowable emission limits of VOC were subjected to dramatic cutbacks.

In order to comply with these regulations the finishes now used for US, Asian and European automotive leather upholstery have a water-based pigmented finish to produce a uniform colour and are protected with a urethane covering. Modern automotive leather upholstery is classified as finished leather, which means that the surface has a urethane covering that cannot absorb wax, lanolin or oil-based 'conditioners'.

Three Step Care

All finishes have to allow '(evaporation and hydration) ' - the flow of moisture back and forth, the important considerations for proper leather care; is as much about (a) the state / condition of the leather you are dealing with (b) methodology used (c) product. Cleaning is a combination of all these

(a) Clean - as dirt / grit and subsequent friction cause the finish to wear.

(b) Hydrated - use water-based products that do not contain oils and/or waxes, check the label if they do then don't use them. Clean surfaces with a damp towel.

(c) Protected - is essential as it will protect the surface finish and makes dirt easier to clean off and an ultra violet protective product (UVR) will preserve the finish.

Leather is very dynamic with respect to its moisture content; the leather hides needs to be kept supple.The purpose of rehydration is to restore moisture lost through evaporation, so whatever the surface finish, it has to allow the movement of moisture back and forth (evaporation and hydration). So the use of water- based cleaners and protectors will maintain hydration, which is essential to keeping it in pristine condition.

For many, finding the best leather care product is as simple as using what is the most popular. While popularity can sometimes be a reliable barometer, it isn’t always the correct choice. Some even make their decision based on new car’s leather fragrance alone. My best advise; research other options and products, test them and then make an objective decision based upon factual information, not hype or brand loyalty.

After all, how can you fully understand and properly use any product unless you have all the facts? I would also strongly suggest that you verify any information that I or anyone else shares with you. Remember you are dealing with a thin water-based pigment layer on the leather and not with the leather hide itself.

Good info in the following link as well on Detailing: http://togwt1980.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Executive; 05-01-2013 at 07:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagular (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

I used a popular leather product for years until I was convinced to try Leatherique. The only leather products I will use now.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I use Zymol.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmm, so, I bought the Connoly product and upon opening the smell was pretty solventy. My gut reaction was that didn't make sense to use on a leather made with water based chemicals. These comments seem to validate this.

Yest, when I walk into a Jag dealer, what's proudly on display - Connolly leather care! I get that there are oilder cars out there that it would work great for, but, has anyone seen or been recommended anything else by Jag?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member

I have tried two diffierent dealers and neither one had the Connoly Hide Food. I asked them for recommendations, but didn't get an exact answer.

And, yes, do not use the connoly on the water based leather.

I sent an email to JaguarUK and here is their response:

"I can only recommend Jaguar's tested and approved leather cleaner which can be purchased at any Jaguar Franchised Dealership.

There are 2 types available; Jaguar cleaner at an approx cost of £9.17 and a Jaguar Luxury leather cleaner at an approx cost of £14.60"

Therefore, i went to the local Bentley dealer as Autoglym is specifically made for Bentleys and bought the conditioner. Unlike most products in the market, it doesn't contain lot of oils and leaves no shine at all.

I have only threated the front seats and waiting to see how it reacts to water/rain. As alkaline in conditioners sometimes will turn rain and/or water drops white on the leather.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

Put a drop of water on it and see what happens.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Put a drop of water on it and see what happens.
George,

I have tried that. Waited good 3-4 minutes, seemed fine and just wiped it off.

Just want to see a reaction during a heavy rain, where i can't always wipe the leather during exiting.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
I used a popular leather product for years until I was convinced to try Leatherique. The only leather products I will use now.
Yup, best stuff known to Leather, IMHO....But it takes too long and you need to park in the sun for a day to do the whole treatment correctly.

I found I get the very same results form this..at least it feels the same only in less time....I clean first with the stuff the dealer gives you made by Jaguar

Attached Thumbnails Maintaining your leather seats-0031209000205_500x500.jpg  
Attached Images