XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Major Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 04:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation Major Coolant Leak

Hi, I've already mentioned this issue in my previous thread that was related to a different coolant leak. I have a 2015 XF 3.0 S/C AWD. In the past two year since I've owned it (First owner was my dad), the car has had 5 coolant leaks, 2 of which were covered under warranty, and the other 2 were not. The heater hose under the suspercharger was the latest one following current one that is by the inlet. the technicial described that the hose has a bleeder screw that broke off and now there is hole there, ideally only the bleeder screw needs to be replaced (the fact it broke off would mean that a replacement screw wont simply attach back?), but Jaguar only seels the part with the hose attached to it.

Part number: C2Z11054

Here are some images I found onlie:

Some notes: The supercharger was recently replaced, I don't know if this part is anywhere close to it and could have potentially broken off while the supercharger was taken apart and change. The supercharger was initially pulle off for the heater hose coolant pipe replacement aswell.

I asked what could be the reason for it to fail, and I was told its due age of the car. Mind you the vehicle has about 66,000 KM on it and it's a late 2015 Model. The vehicle is also getting terrible milage 19-22L/100 KM average, highway driving. Been tot he dealership multiple times but they have not found anything and no carbon build up, so I'm just going to assume its my driving style, which is not at all aggressive, I felt the need to mention it incase it's one of the reasons leading to multiple coolant leaks in a span of 2 years. I've had bad fuel economy since 8 months now.

At this point, the cost break down for this particular repari is:
$1,775+TAX, for the part and supposedly 7 hour of labour. Jaguar Warranty expired in December of 2019, but even if it were underwarranty, the part isnt covered according to Jaguar Canada (Can't speak for US, even though I was told it's the same, it clearly isn't).

I'm concerned that since the coolaned rushed out the car and there was a fair amount of steam build up (No low coolant or overheating warning on dash). Once I pulled over, and saw 95%+ coolant was gone from the reservoir, I filled it with bottled water, and then drove a few KM very slowly, and it is when I got hom that the low coolant message came. No unusual sound and the car has not been started since, it was towed to the dealership.

I love my XF, but the dreaded coolant system and high maintenance cost out of extended warranty are biting back. I've dropped $7800 on the car in repairs through Jaguar so far, reparis that could not be done at an indepenedant shop due to lack of parts or would have cost about the same as per hourly rate.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Currently, I've asked the dealership to order the part (not sure about the cost of part), and wondering if anyone has had similar coolant part break. The service manager said the intake, nor the supercharger has to come out, but it's still a big job. I'm wondering if it's in an accessible spot so that I may have a go at it.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

You can replace only the bleed screw using Dorman Part No 902-404, available at Autozone as well as Amazon etc

The following users liked this post:
Paul Fisher (07-01-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by davetibbs
You can replace only the bleed screw using Dorman Part No 902-404, available at Autozone as well as Amazon etc
Hey Dave, have you had this issue? Is the pipe accessible w/o taking major/heavy components off (I dont own a lift). The fact it was described as "broke off", could I assume a new screw will fit into the fitting or is it possible that it tore off and the threads are damaged. The pipe appears to be metal, and screw is plastic so dont think the plastic bit could shear the metal.

Given its accessible, and there are no other issue aside this and or the engine isnt damaged, I'd be more than happy to get the car towed back and spend a day or two saving a fair sum of money.

thanks for the response!

Old 02-01-2020, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I broke my coolant bleed screw - I had to use a reverse-threaded stud extractor to remove the snapped off stud, but given that the bleed screw is plastic this was pretty easy to do.

You can replace the bleed screw without taking any components off the car at all. If they have removed the pipe then you can still refit it without removing major/heavy components like the supercharger, but access is TIGHT and it's a horrible job.

Old 02-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Noted. You broke it? Or it broke by itself. I'm at a bit of a cross road. The dealership is very far (100 KM+), and it was towed there, I can just pay for the $200 Diagnosis and get the car towed to my paretns place and do the job there. What could be a reason for this particular bleed screw to break off?

Some concerns:

-I cant check if the there is more damage than what the dealership found at first glance
-Has the engine taken a hit?
-Is it possible that the hose mentioned might be at a different spot than to the 5.0 V8 (Less accessible)

It would suck just to have the car towed back home and not be able to resolve the issue completely if at all. I'll keep this in mind though, thanks!

Old 02-01-2020, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I broke it. They're a pretty terrible design - plus they go brittle over years of getting hot - and appear to break pretty easily, probably why I'll replace mine with brass one.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:56 PM

Yeah, I broke it. They're a pretty terrible design - plus they go brittle over years of getting hot - and appear to break pretty easily, probably why I'll replace mine with brass one.
gotcha, please share the link to one that is more durable (made out of brass or copper), on going to order it right away. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-01-2020, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

Something like
this this
, but there's lots of options.

Old 02-02-2020, 10:22 AM

Something like this, but there's lots of options.
thanks a bunch, ordered a couple, getting the car towed back home. Going to need to figure out how to drain current coolant/water, and refill the entire system. Got my fingers crossed that the bleeder screw is located where I'm hoping it in (by the engine cover)

Old 02-02-2020, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Yes, the screw is located by the engine cover.

See attached for draining, filling, and bleeding instructions.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 02-03-2020, 11:45 AM

Yes, the screw is located by the engine cover.

See attached for draining, filling, and bleeding instructions.
You're awesome. The parts (Plastic and Brass) will be here sometime this week. By the time the part arrives, I'll be swamped with work. I contacted an Audi Specialest (Independent mechanic), the car will be getting towed from Jaguar Dealership to the Mechanic. I've explained what part has gone bad and that I will be supplying it. Once thats taken care of (No quote yet), the coolant flush and fill is about $100 labour and 30-40 it cost for the coolant.

Just curious to know what you meant by "It's a horrible job". Were you refering to the coolant flush, or changing the plug? Thanks for tall the help, you saved me a lot of headache and money.

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2020, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Just curious to know what you meant by "It's a horrible job"
Specifically referring to removing and fitting the pipe you included photos of in the first post - which you'd have to do if you couldn't replace the bleed screw on its own from the aftermarket.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:13 PM
Old 02-03-2020, 05:17 PM

Specifically referring to removing and fitting the pipe you included photos of in the first post - which you'd have to do if you couldn't replace the bleed screw on its own from the aftermarket.
Noted. Hopefully wont have to.

This is the closest thing I could find on Amazon.ca
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06Y1PJ9ZN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06Y1PJ9ZN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some reviews suggest it's too big
I dont want to end up damaging the threads in the pipe and then be stuck with changing the entire hose.

No dimensions are given, but the part number is the same as the plastic ones you mentioned.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

From memory these threads are M10x1.0, but I know the Dorman plastic ones fit.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:13 PM
Thumbs up Coolant leak issue SOLVED!!

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06Y1PJ9ZN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-ca-c857-20 https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06Y1PJ9ZN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-ca-c857-20

Went with this one, asked my mechanic to flush the coolant system. Gave him the plastic one and this brass one linked above. He went with the brass one, total cost of repair with OE JLR coolant and part came out to $250

The bleeder screw replaced the broken one absent issues and I have since driven the car about 100 KM with no leaks to report. I do however smell coolant when I turn on the heat, I'm hoping that is just the dried up coolant that leaked all over the engine, but I'm keeping an eye on the coolant reservour and it hasn't moved.

Finally, for anyone who is looking to replace their bleeder screw (or in the unfortunate circumstance where they have to), I would recommend the plastic one mentioned by Dave. God forbid there is a pressure build up in the system, and a point has to feel, it's best the bleeder screw fail as opposed to a coolant hose/pipe. I doubt the brass screw will give in before a plastic pipe does.

Thanks for the all help Dave!

The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (02-08-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 08:31 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereldo
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...lnk-ca-c857-20

Went with this one, asked my mechanic to flush the coolant system. Gave him the plastic one and this brass one linked above. He went with the brass one, total cost of repair with OE JLR coolant and part came out to $250.

Thanks for the all help Dave!

Morning Zereldo..
Can you update us on how your non-dealer solution is holding up after a few months please?
Apart from your recent trunk issues, any other XF engine issues since then?
Cheers!

Old 06-28-2020, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Morning Zereldo..
Can you update us on how your non-dealer solution is holding up after a few months please?
Cheers!
Hey good morning, sorry for not posting an update earlier. I had ordered 3 different coolant bleed screws, two were plastic (from different manufacturers) and a brass one. The mechanic leaned towards the brass one for being higher quality so I agreed to that aswell. So far no problems at all, there was a hint of coolant smell a month or so following the repair due to coolant residue deep in the engine bay.

Something to note: I read (either in this forum or elsewhere), that plastic bleed screw is a safe bet incase something similar happens it's best if the bleed screw shears/breaks off rather than a coolant pipe or the reservoir. Since the brass bleed screw is significantly stronger than any coolant pipe in the engine way when it comes to being able to handle surge in pressure build up, it will cause a coolant pipe to crack instead.

I did not find the root of the cause, just something that happened due to age perhaps and multiple heat cycles over the years. No issue with the coolant reservoir or the cap that goes in top with a spring loaded mechanism which should account for the expansion of coolant; but didnt or perhaps the old bleed screw was too brittle at that point anyway.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Morning Zereldo..
Cheers!
No other engine issues of note.

Things that have gone wrong since the coolant leak:

- Intermittent message appearing in infotainment screen along the lines " battery low, system will shut down in xyz seconds". As soon as I turn the engine off, the interior (map and dome) light turn off a second following that. I have not yet tested if it's the battery (was replaced in 2017 September) or an alternator related issue but its most likely the battery.
- Engine start stop stopped working, I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that's the auxiliary battery deviated for start stop function that is also gone
- Trunk is no longer opening using the interior release button, keyfob button or the trunk mounted switch (under the chrome trim). The trunk does open using the emergency key blade. I've purchased a wiring loom from Jaguar and will be replacing it soon as I cant find out any other problem (trunk latches was replaced a year ago).
- The engine does get very hot after normal driving (no overheat warning, steam or smoke coming out of the way, but I open the hood and hear the fan running a few minutes following engine shut off.
- Supercharger unit was replaced a few months back, still making a rough sound upon engine shut off and generally making a ticking sound while engine is running (dealership says its fine).

I'm sure you were just curious about coolant related issues with engine, but nothing as of yet.

Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply: Major Coolant Leak