XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Major Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:12 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Appreciate the follow up insight!
Was the supercharger replacement out of pocket or CPO?
Did you notice the total the dealer/indy charged on parts & labor?
How many miles on your '15 now?
Thx again!

(I'm building a database of model, mileage, failure, cosXs on XF/XJ/XE)

Old 06-28-2020, 10:03 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by F1Virginia
Thx again!

Noted.

I paid 40% of the cost out of pocket (Parts, labour and taxes). I went back and forth with Jaguar North America that refused to fix it under CPO warranty since the part had not failed completely or caused the car to be un-drivable. Total out of pocket cost was ~$4,200 with taxes.

The coolant issue also happened while the car was under cpo (it has since expired) and after the supercharger replacement. The dealer changed the hose under the supercharger (not covered by CPO, no coolant related issue is apparently), and a few months later the bleeder screw in the coolant pipe (on top of the supercharger) broke as discussed above. Dealer wanted me to change the entire hose the bleeder screw was a part of as they didnt sell it separately (they didnt even tell me it was just the screw, and lead me to believe it was "somewhere in the hose"). I paid $250 for their "diagnostic " and upon learning it was just the screw, I ordered the part for ~$25. The independent shop charged $0 for placing it (I wouldn't expect to pay for it), and charged me for the oem coolant that was about $200-$250 and another ~$100 for the flush and refill service. So in total $200 + $25 + $250 + $100, give or take $550.

Vehicle is clocked just under 75,000 KM.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Old 06-28-2020, 10:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thx again!

Disregard this if you currently OWN one of the models mentioned.

If you're looking into purchasing a modern Jaguar, I'd strongly advise against it based on my personal experience with their customer service (both dealership and Jaguar North America). I've had significantly better experience with Porche and Lexus (I dont own any, but my family does).

I should also add that I love Jaguar design, the drive is decent, not as soft as a lexus or harsh as a BMW of equivalent model. My XF is a portfolio model and I cant think of any German rival that offers the amount of genuine leather and wood in the same price bracket. That said, the quality is lacking with Jaguar, especially the newer ones (I've had several loaners and the newer F Pace, XE and XF are worse in terms of design and over all quality).

Since Jaguars are a rare sight, at least where I live, you get more attention and "respect" on the road if you're an individual who cares for that sort of thing. If you're looking for quality, I'd aim for Audi (for best value and prestige), BMW (for max performance for your $) and Mercedes (as an all rounder).

Would I buy my XF knowing what I know now and the experience I had?

Yes...I think, the car treated me well during the first and a half year of ownership and I'd be sad given I had purchased an E class ( E350/E400, 2015 Model) instead at the time since I've had 0 experience with Jaguar, but my dad loves them and is currently driving a 2018 XJL portfolio.

Would I buy one again? Probably not since now I know what I can expect and knowing other brands offer more, be it at a slightly higher price.

Leasing is a good option, buying or financing one is not (we all know that and do it anyway). X250 XF are difficult to sell and worth nothing on the used market, same goes for the XJ, and the newer facelift XJ are tanking in value (they look really really good, and I really like to own one for myself). The x260 XF have taken a harder hit in the used market. F pace are maintaining relatively stronger value based on the fact they're an SUV. E Pace is bleh.

Please note that I'm merely sharing my opinion and recommendations based on my personal experience and other Jaguar owners I know in person.

The following users liked this post:
F1Virginia (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Zereldo
Would I buy one again? Probably not since now I know what I can expect and knowing other brands offer more, be it at a slightly higher price.

Please note that I'm merely sharing my opinion and recommendations based on my personal experience and other Jaguar owners I know in person.
Greatly appreciated..

I've spent past 3 days (apart from work & sleep) reading literally dozens of JagForum threads here and elsewhere to gauge Jag's Reliability/Warranty ratios.

I was also shocked at Jag's poor showing on NHTSA vehicle webpages on post 2013 vehicles..
Especially the 400+ TSB's per Jaguar there!
(Just compare 2017 XF to 2017 Genesis G80)

Realizing that all Jags now share the same 4 engines, the engine cooling system failure history is rife with either poor engineering or fabrication or both.

While considering Jaguar CPO coverage "up to 7 years" if you pay for the 7th, I can't still nail down the consistency of cooling system coverage after the initial factory 5yr/60k in USA.

1. Whereas the Jag CPO specifies that "neither hose nor belt is covered", does that mean coolant loss and engine damage resultant is also not covered?
That's a huge dealbreaker.

2. Does the service technician and their diagnostics drive the CPO coverage likelihood?

3. Would 1 dealer deny whereas another may cover on CPO?

4. I've called 1-800-4Jaguar on a dozen CPO Vin#'s currently for sale east coast from 8 Jag dealers and NOT ONE of them showed up as CPO in the JaguarLR USA Corporate database. 🤔 Why?
These XF/XJ/XE all show as CPO on JaguarUSA.com.
FWIW..

Open to all discussions. thanks!

Last edited by F1Virginia; 06-30-2020 at 02:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Couple of thoughts - and just my personal experience. Yes - there are cooling issues on older Jags - pipes and hoses get brittle from heat cycling and fail. But that's the same on every make these days. I am not convinced that BMW or other euro prestige brands are any more reliable

I've had my XF for 8 years (it was a used CPO when I bought it). Never broken down, no major issues. A few repairs (on CPO) - cooling pump for example, but very little. By far the most reliable car I've owned. Unfortunately if you read forums you'll get all the issues but not the people who have no problems. So bear that in mind

CPO coverage has exclusions like any other extended coverage plan. It covers some cooling issues (Eg the cooling water pump) but typically hoses, bushings etc and wear items are excluded

The cars on the website listed for sale as CPO - when they sell they register the CPO with Jag. So unless the car was previously sold and registered as a CPO already, it won't show until sale. You can also negotiate/ decide whether to pay for 1 or 2 extra years.

Anyway. For everyone with a Jag 'disaster story' there are others with 'perfect experience'
My guidance - do your research, but well looked after, and remember that it's a high end luxury car. So used prices may be low but parts and labor are not
And find a trusted independent if you don't like wrenching yourself

The following 4 users liked this post by BritCars:
F1Virginia (07-01-2020), Paul Fisher (07-01-2020), SunFlower (07-01-2020), Swimref (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Hard to say but my 2014 XJR has had only 2 things go wrong in 43K miles?
The water pump under warranty and 1 O2 sensor after going off warranty. Best car I have ever had so far.

I don't know but when my water pump was replaced under factory CPO warranty. It also covered all the plastic cooling parts too?
How can they not cover a burst plastic cooling part?
Is that not a failure?

F1Virginia (07-01-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

No - I don't think that's covered. Going from memory now as my CPO expired several years ago. But I believe that plastic pipe failure, bushings, gaskets and other items considered 'wear items' are explicitly excluded. Check the small print to be sure
Whereas items like the water pump itself, other core mechanical items are covered

It's not an extension of the factory warranty / it has very specific items that are excluded

Old 07-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,348 Likes on 1,849 Posts

That's interesting because they covered all that on mine? Gaskets and plastic hoses as well as the rubber coolant hoses.
It was a CPO warranty from Jaguar too.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Maybe it has changed from year to year. I'm sure they make adjustments. See attached for the explicit exclusions in 2017. You can see that it says belts and hoses, bushings, sparks, struts etc are all excluded.
I may have mis remembered the gaskets point - sounds like those are weatherstripping gaskets not engine ones perhaps

Anyway I expect there is some latitude when you have been consistently servicing with the dealer. But there are a meaningful number of elements that are not covered

Still a decent program in my view (and we have bought CPO three times from JLR).

Attached Thumbnails Major Coolant Leak-photo66.jpg  
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

And here is a link to the thread that's from with more details

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...n-list-213059/

Old 07-04-2020, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Maybe it has changed from year to year. I'm sure they make adjustments. See attached for the explicit exclusions in 2017. You can see that it says belts and hoses, bushings, sparks, struts etc are all excluded.

Still a decent program in my view (and we have bought CPO three times from JLR).
As cross-posted in X260 thread...
Re-post here for other X250 owners with same 3.0L and final year of CPO..

"I called 3 Jag dealers (Virginia, Michigan & Florida) yesterday who each confirmed that CPO 3.0L cars ARE getting full coverage for any burst cross-over, y-pipe, thermostat housing seam, or other "TSB documented cooling component failure."

JLR seems to be stepping up to avoid BMW-like class actions.. smart.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

Well. That's good to see them stepping up. I get excluding 'wear items'. But it's reasonable to assume that cooling pipes should last 7 years...

F1Virginia (07-07-2020)
Old 01-22-2021, 01:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have just had this happen in my 2017 build Range Rover Velar P380. Thanks to this thread i had a big idea on what the issue was. JLA are covering it.

The following 2 users liked this post by schmick325:
F1Virginia (01-23-2021), Zereldo (01-22-2021)
Old 01-23-2021, 11:37 AM

Oye mate!
Glad to hear..

Post up a pic of your Aussie Velar in your profile!

Old 01-23-2021, 12:20 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I think its not wise to run that particular car at 250km/h+ on highway. 20l/100km is is not bad , as most cars uses similar amount of fuel. just lot of load on engine. I drive xf 3.0sc at steady 110km/h ~ 1400RPM with 6.5l/100km 2.5 slower but also 3 times more eficient.

Old 01-23-2021, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oye mate!
Glad to hear..

Post up a pic of your Aussie Velar in your profile!
Posted a pic but to be honest I don't have many good ones.

Here is what they are changing. Car has done 33k kms (20k miles) and always dealer serviced.