XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Manufacture Buy Back Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manufacture Buy Back Advice

Hi,

Looking for buyers advice regarding a manufacture buy back (lemon) 2010 Jaguar XF Premium. The vehicle has 8,000 miles, no cosmetic flaws but was sold back to the manufacture for "lack of power/loss of acceleration". In the vehicle repair report it stated the vehicle lost power while the owner was driving it. The vehicle's issue has since been repaired (according to the report) and the dealership is now offering a 6y/100,000 mile warranty with it. The dealer is selling it for several thousand below Kelly Blue Book value and is the cheapest one around. I've taken it for a test drive and I do not notice any issues. I also understand I will receive a couple thousand less for it when trading it in. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by finalfan7asy
Hi,

Looking for buyers advice regarding a manufacture buy back (lemon) 2010 Jaguar XF Premium. The vehicle has 8,000 miles, no cosmetic flaws but was sold back to the manufacture for "lack of power/loss of acceleration". In the vehicle repair report it stated the vehicle lost power while the owner was driving it. The vehicle's issue has since been repaired (according to the report) and the dealership is now offering a 6y/100,000 mile warranty with it. The dealer is selling it for several thousand below Kelly Blue Book value and is the cheapest one around. I've taken it for a test drive and I do not notice any issues. I also understand I will receive a couple thousand less for it when trading it in. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
There is a well-documented history to manufacturer buyback cars. If the dealer is placing that kind of warranty on this car, Id probably go for it if it makes financial sense. It is quite possible that the first owner was threatening all sorts of things and jaguar didnt want to 'go the distance" with him and figured it would just get out of it now. Another owner might have accepted the ultimate fix which probably has proven itself. Whats the worst that could happen?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

How much less... whats the price? and be prepared to get r*ped on trading it in if you do, and losing more than a couple grand when you go to resell it.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by jackals
How much less... whats the price? and be prepared to get r*ped on trading it in if you do, and losing more than a couple grand when you go to resell it.
Including the 6y/100,000, B&W sound system they want $42k.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Including the 6y/100,000, B&W sound system they want $42k.

Too much. I was looking at 2010 XF Prems with 20k miles (keep in mind NO title issues) for $40k.

While the car may be nice and trouble free for you, I am telling you that when you trade the car in, you will get hosed and it will not be worth the little couple thousand right now. That is way too much. For $44K I bet youc an find an issue free car.

Right now, call up a Mercedes or BMW dealer and tell them specs of your car, you will get an offer of around $35K for that car, maybe even less.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

we have 09's premiums for the mid to low 30's, and yes for your area of the country I would think alot llower than that. want to see the marketprices? go to autotrader.com and see the price range for that model across the country and what theyre being listed for

Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Too much. I was looking at 2010 XF Prems with 20k miles (keep in mind NO title issues) for $40k.

While the car may be nice and trouble free for you, I am telling you that when you trade the car in, you will get hosed and it will not be worth the little couple thousand right now. That is way too much. For $44K I bet youc an find an issue free car.

Right now, call up a Mercedes or BMW dealer and tell them specs of your car, you will get an offer of around $35K for that car, maybe even less.
What would you think is a fair price for this vehicle? Does the B&W 440W upgrade have badging on the speaker covers or are they bare and how would I be able to tell they're the upgrades?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM

What would you think is a fair price for this vehicle? Does the B&W 440W upgrade have badging on the speaker covers or are they bare and how would I be able to tell they're the upgrades?
If you are comfortable with a lower $40s payment, I would stay away from any cars with botched titles. You can find 2010 premiums in this price range with the 6 yr 100k warranty.

As for the B&W, yes its badged in silver on the speaker.. both fronts at the top

The following users liked this post:
finalfan7asy (08-02-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

There is badging on the speakers for the B&W system.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy if the issue has been fixed. More than likely it was a California car. California's lemon law makes it fairly easy to bring a car back.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd buy it for $40K out-the-door (all the fees and taxes included), but no more than that. I'm sure the car will be fine, but you do have to disclose that it has been bought back when you decide to sell it or to trade it in in the future and you will undoubtedly take a hit then.
Best of luck! Hope you get a car you want

Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 PM

I've been to several Jaguar dealers within a couple hundred miles of me and no one is willing to budge in price other than this Jaguar. I did find a 2009 XF Supercharged with 30k miles for the same price but could not really feel much, if any difference in performance and again they would not come down in price. I'm okay with this car's issue and repair because of the bumper to bumper warranty. My current vehicle needs brakes/rotors replaced ASAP and I do not want to invest if I'm going to trade it this summer. Plus the dealer is giving me $3,000 more in trade than I hoped for.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Old 08-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Ask em to throw in 2 free details too then

Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM

09 S/C and 5.0 should be pretty even matched acceleration-wise, according to Car&Driver test results. No wonder you did not feel much difference. I understand where you are coming from though: XF is a gorgeous car that drives like a dream and having a peace of mind that the warranty warrants (ahem) would probably be enough for me
I have a feeling you will get it; post pictures when you do, ok?!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Saahov
09 S/C and 5.0 should be pretty even matched acceleration-wise, according to Car&Driver test results. No wonder you did not feel much difference. I understand where you are coming from though: XF is a gorgeous car that drives like a dream and having a peace of mind that the warranty warrants (ahem) would probably be enough for me
The car came from Hawaii. The previous owner tinted the windows dark enough to match the exterior perfect. It looks beautiful!
I know this vehicle is right for us, so we got it. We traded our Q7 for it which was a fantastic vehicle that treated us well. We were looking only at a select few different types of vehicles but nothing came close to the attrativeness, performace, and warranty of this Jaguar. I will post pics as soon as I can. Thanks again everyone for the help!

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM

congrads!
Q7 is a very refined vehicle, but XF is a car that you want to have a relationship with - something no Audi of today can offer, sadly...
Do post pictures though - I love seeing others' XFs (yet to have one of my own).

Old 08-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I've driven a loaner XF 5.0 quite a few times and to me there is a big difference. I can't wait to get my car back after driving the NA 5.0. The NA 5.0L is listed as over .8 sec slower 0-60 and you can definitely tell or at least I can. The lower rpm range in the 5.0 seems like a dog when comparing it to the SC 4.2. I suppose you aren't going to notice much of a difference unless you really get your foot down though and the NA 5.0L was also getting noticeably better gas mileage when I drove it.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I've driven a loaner XF 5.0 quite a few times and to me there is a big difference. I can't wait to get my car back after driving the NA 5.0. The NA 5.0L is listed as over .8 sec slower 0-60 and you can definitely tell or at least I can. The lower rpm range in the 5.0 seems like a dog when comparing it to the SC 4.2. I suppose you aren't going to notice much of a difference unless you really get your foot down though and the NA 5.0L was also getting noticeably better gas mileage when I drove it.
I noticed the 5.0L seems to have more mid range performance then low rpm. Is this accurate and does the mid/higher range out perform the 4.2L SC?

Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM

I noticed the 5.0L seems to have more mid range performance then low rpm. Is this accurate and does the mid/higher range out perform the 4.2L SC?

On C&D Test, 0-60 and 1/4 mile were fairly close between the 2. However a 60-120 test I believe, aka a highway run, the 4.2 S/C really took charge beating the 5.0 N/A by 2 seconds I believe it was.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 PM

On C&D Test, 0-60 and 1/4 mile were fairly close between the 2. However a 60-120 test I believe, aka a highway run, the 4.2 S/C really took charge beating the 5.0 N/A by 2 seconds I believe it was.
I believe it is very much possible, but I can't find such test results. Not even the usual 30-50&50-70 'top gear' acceleration for 5.0.

I personally only drove a 5.0 and was very much impressed by the grunt. My choice would probably be a 5.0S/C though - hard to resist 0-60 in 4.3s and 1/4 in 12.8

Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 PM

I believe it is very much possible, but I can't find such test results. Not even the usual 30-50&50-70 'top gear' acceleration for 5.0.

I personally only drove a 5.0 and was very much impressed by the grunt. My choice would probably be a 5.0S/C though - hard to resist 0-60 in 4.3s and 1/4 in 12.8
Unfortunately there were no 5.0L SC or XFRs to test drive at any of the dealers during my hunt. No complaints, I'm satisfied with how the 5.0L pins me to the seat

Quick Reply: Manufacture Buy Back Advice