XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Maximum power from the 5.0 supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 12:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Maximum power from the 5.0 supercharged?

I was just starting to wonder if anyone had any idea as to the max horsepower that the 5.0 can take on stock internals.

Kyanite.. I think he broke his rear on launch at the track, what was the failure?

Just cooking up some ideas, like lysholm supercharger, there are adapaters for eaton m110's

Old 09-14-2016, 04:22 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

600bhp max for drive train reliability.........675hp really is the engine limit on stock internals and my UK tuner is getting close @667hp.....exhaust/cats/intake.....upper and lower pulleys-re map with larger intercooler......I'm running about 580hp at the ctank however the diff may have jumped ship......its at tje transmissipn shop currently for diagnosis!!

The following 2 users liked this post by damienedwards:
Kaeghl (09-14-2016), Panthro (12-13-2023)
Old 09-14-2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by damienedwards
600bhp max for drive train reliability.........675hp really is the engine limit on stock internals and my UK tuner is getting close @667hp.....exhaust/cats/intake.....upper and lower pulleys-re map with larger intercooler......I'm running about 580hp at the ctank however the diff may have jumped ship......its at tje transmissipn shop currently for diagnosis!!

it might be time for maybe a ford 9inch.
I am a bit disappointed that an engine that makes 560 in the xfr-s only has about another 100 hp in it.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaeghl
I was just starting to wonder if anyone had any idea as to the max horsepower that the 5.0 can take on stock internals.

Kyanite.. I think he broke his rear on launch at the track, what was the failure?

Just cooking up some ideas, like lysholm supercharger, there are adapaters for eaton m110's
Sheared half-shaft. They said it was a very clean break at the mid-point. Could easily have been a material flaw that took that type of torque to expose. So may be a weakness, may be a specific part failure. I know I don't want to find out which.

Old 09-14-2016, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Lots of other factors come into play when making HP, the cast crank in our AJ 133SC is the biggest limitation, the block is probably good for 750hp but we'd run out of fuel with the stock injectors at as said 600hp. The stock diff is only good for about 490hp (Before you all jump on my head, Unless you run slicks and a non legal tune you'll never see that much power from as standing start, our electronics guarantee that). Then theirs the drive shaft, anything over 570 you need to at the least hoop it over 600 you need to look at a loosing the flex joints (x2) for U joints, And a solid instead of splined front half.
These guys, https://www.drive2.ru/r/jaguar/1354304/ are making stupid hp, but have been through 2 engines. Making hp is easy but not cheap, Making RELIABLE hp is even more $$$, As the saying goes "Speed cost money, so how fast do you want to go?"

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-14-2016 at 11:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-13-2023)
Old 09-15-2016, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member

it might be time for maybe a ford 9inch.
Plenty of old Jag rears under high hp hot rods, but they ain't cheap...lol

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (12-13-2023)
Old 09-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Stock diff is only good for 490 hp, out of an engine that runs on average 510hp? okay, 10-12% transmission loss, but man is that way too close the edge.
I had thought the direct injectors could supply a hell of a lot of fuel, their duty range is supposed to be very wide.
I could always try to get my hands on a stock crank and have something better made, there are a lot of companies that do that.

Do we have real U joints or more of guibo setup like BMW ?
(for the uninformed, a guibo is sort of two flexible rubber plates bolted together to make a mating surface)

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Lots of other factors come into play when making HP, the cast crank in our AJ 133SC is the biggest limitation, the block is probably good for 750hp but we'd run out of fuel with the stock injectors at as said 600hp. The stock diff is only good for about 490hp (Before you all jump on my head, Unless you run slicks and a non legal tune you'll never see that much power from as standing start, our electronics guarantee that). Then theirs the drive shaft, anything over 570 you need to at the least hoop it over 600 you need to look at a loosing the flex joints (x2) for U joints, And a solid instead of splined front half.
These guys, https://www.drive2.ru/r/jaguar/1354304/ are making stupid hp, but have been through 2 engines. Making hp is easy but not cheap, Making RELIABLE hp is even more $$$, As the saying goes "Speed cost money, so how fast do you want to go?"

Old 09-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member

Stock diff is only good for 490 hp, out of an engine that runs on average 510hp? okay, 10-12% transmission loss, but man is that way too close the edge.
I had thought the direct injectors could supply a hell of a lot of fuel, their duty range is supposed to be very wide.
I could always try to get my hands on a stock crank and have something better made, there are a lot of companies that do that.

Do we have real U joints or more of guibo setup like BMW ?
(for the uninformed, a guibo is sort of two flexible rubber plates bolted together to make a mating surface)
Direct Injectors do have a wide operating cycle just not wide enough to cover an additional 200 hp and still have good drivabilty. Most of you high hp engines (Chryslers Hell Cat 707hp, and GM's Super charged LT 658hp) use a dual strategies fuel map, that's some big $$$ development.

We have a flex joint from the trans to the driveshaft, the it's splined through to a carrier to a u joint and then flexed again to the center section diff.

Try "better' Crank rods and pistons sir, all I'm guessing first run too. And you can't throw that much additional fuel and air at an engine without addressing the cams, And You still haven't touched the trans or torque converter..lol again Speed cost Money, how fast do you want to go?

Last edited by Bigg Will; 09-15-2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Direct Injectors do have a wide operating cycle just not wide enough to cover an additional 200 hp and still have good drivabilty. Most of you high hp engines (Chryslers Hell Cat 707hp, and GM's Super charged LT 658hp) use a dual strategies fuel map, that's some big $$$ development.

We have a flex joint from the trans to the driveshaft, the it's splined through to a carrier to a u joint and then flexed again to the center section diff.

Try "better' Crank rods and pistons sir, all I'm guessing first run too. And you can't throw that much additional fuel and air at an engine without addressing the cams, And You still haven't touched the trans or torque converter..lol again Speed cost Money, how fast do you want to go?
With BMW going to water injection, I'm still curious how much "free" power could be gained with this strategy. I'd be more likely to try it if my spare tire well wasn't filled up with an amp and a sub. And it supoosedly helps with carbon buildup in DI engines.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:15 AM

just no, you dont need to bother, you have a decent intercooler already.
Water and meth injection have been done for so long I cant even remember. I was doing it 20 years ago on boosted engines. I think it is funny that bmw is still trying to figure out a way to make it work for winters when its been done to death for years (we just use a blend of water and methanol, easily found as windshield wiper fluid).
BMW is only going to water injection on high boosted small engines because it is cheaper to do than a proper intercooler.
Sure I can go on and on and debate the pros and cons, the heat absorption during phase change (it sucks a ton of heat up going from liquid to gas) the higher octane analaog to the water and meth, the steam cleaning of the internals.. but man.. it is such a finicky pain in the ***.
Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
With BMW going to water injection, I'm still curious how much "free" power could be gained with this strategy. I'd be more likely to try it if my spare tire well wasn't filled up with an amp and a sub. And it supoosedly helps with carbon buildup in DI engines.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 AM

screw it, lets just throw a dry 50 shot of nitrous through the intake. The supercharger will almost double the power value of the shot.

Old 09-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by damienedwards
What part of the diff is weak? The Pumpkin? The final drive or bearings? or the Internals themselves? I want to put a LSD in mine, but if the whole thing is weak there is no point. If I had a one piece propshaft, LSD and billet final drive and axles would that work?

I know the two piece driveshaft is weak too, I want to get a one piece and put poly bushings in the diff to keep wheel hop to a minimum. The LSD and maybe a tranny and diff cooler to keep things kosher at the road course. But I have learned the drivetrain on these Jags are a little brittle when you race hard. I don't know what to do if the actual subframe and pumpkin are weak.

My XFR is out of warranty and I want to build it pretty stout now, I need to figure out this drivetrain problem before I take on an endeavor this big.

Last edited by Benjamin Jerome Smith; 09-27-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:34 AM

I had thought that the xf supercharged/xfr/xfr-s all already have an LSD.

Originally Posted by Benjamin Jerome Smith
What part of the diff is weak? The Pumpkin? The final drive or bearings? or the Internals themselves? I want to put a LSD in mine, but if the whole thing is weak there is no point. If I had a one piece propshaft, LSD and billet final drive and axles would that work?

I know the two piece driveshaft is weak too, I want to get a one piece and put poly bushings in the diff to keep wheel hop to a minimum. The LSD and maybe a tranny and diff cooler to keep things kosher at the road course. But I have learned the drivetrain on these Jags are a little brittle when you race hard. I don't know what to do if the actual subframe and pumpkin are weak.

My XFR is out of warranty and I want to build it pretty stout now, I need to figure out this drivetrain problem before I take on an endeavor this big.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

I had thought that the xf supercharged/xfr/xfr-s all already have an LSD.
It is actually a torque vectoring differential, to my knowledge only works in regular drive modes; when TSC is off and in dynamic mode it is disengaged to my knowledge from what I have read, I could be wrong. It may act as an open diff when not vectoring torque...

I have read when it is tracked, it has a habit of opening up and breaking when driven hard on a stock car. Put some sticky tires on it and up the power we have a problem.

I would rather put in a torsen or clutch type LSD and forget the electronics, at least those wont overheat and grenade when you put some stress on them, and their handling is consistent.

Old 09-28-2016, 06:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I have run Quaife's and Torsens in a few cars. Quaife is the way to go if it's an option for the XFR. I know a Quaife can be swapped into the 09 XF Supercharged but I'm not sure about the XFR. The 09 XF Supercharged doesn't have the E-diff like the XFR.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:57 PM

I am not a 100% on that. the 2010 supercharged and up are identical to the xfr and xfr-s aside from some code, front facia, hood, some seats.

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I have run Quaife's and Torsens in a few cars. Quaife is the way to go if it's an option for the XFR. I know a Quaife can be swapped into the 09 XF Supercharged but I'm not sure about the XFR. The 09 XF Supercharged doesn't have the E-diff like the XFR.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:49 PM
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I am not a 100% on that. the 2010 supercharged and up are identical to the xfr and xfr-s aside from some code, front facia, hood, some seats.
The 09 supercharged is the older 4.2L

Old 09-30-2016, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

As noted above, the 09 Supercharged is different. I think the 2010 Supercharged has the E-diff.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Wow, so much wrong information in this thread.... where to start...

Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM

Alright, thanks for the correction.
I do relaize there was a lot of change from 09 to 10+ (like an entirely knew engine)
Originally Posted by Blackcoog
As noted above, the 09 Supercharged is different. I think the 2010 Supercharged has the E-diff.

Quick Reply: Maximum power from the 5.0 supercharged?