XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

A message to the engineers at Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A message to the engineers at Jaguar

I've been reading through the posts from many of these topics and would like to suggest that we begin a listing of things we [actual owners] would like to improve upon for future vehicles. I think this is excellent feedback that offers real world value if presented correctly. We will need to specify some detail as to what exactly is wrong and what we would like to see as the improvement. A statement that just complains about something will probably not carry much weight.

I'll start with my complaint about design of the 2010's touch screen. I think it would be easier to access different menus if the home screen category buttons were on the top / bottom as tabs. This would make them wider and easier to select. I've seen photo's of the 2011 screen changes but I believe that a few minor interface changes could still make a large improvement. For example, make the category selection buttons tabs that always remain visible from the top / bottom of the screen. There's plent of bezel space there so make the screen maybe an inch larger. This would work well with the home screen button also. One of my frequent complaints is that to there are too many clicks to navigate through the menu optiions. With [my own title for these] HOME TABS at the top, I could quickly get to the area I want without first having to back out of where I am in the menus.

Does anyone else have an ideas to send off to the engineers?

Jimm

Old 01-08-2012, 10:39 AM
CP1
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

XFR front seats. Have the *** bolsters adjustable like the chest bolsters.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah! What he said!

Old 01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 on bolster. Upgrade Nav system ( I have not seen the '12's so maybe this has already occurred.)

Old 01-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Needed Refinements:
  • Hide the wipers - they detract from the excellent styling.
  • Revise the washers for complete coverage on the windshield (currently the driver side lower area does not get coverage).
  • Reposition the Blind Spot Monitor icon from the side view mirrors to the interior rear view mirror for improved visibility/notification.
  • Nav System - offer Google Earth mapping views.
  • Offer an 8 speed ZF tranny.
  • Increase the amount of vehicle data available on the message center, i.e, remaining oil life, oil temp, water temp, tranny oil temp, volts, actual tire pressures, elapse times, g force, etc.
  • Tire options - sport, comfort, all season, etc.
Overall my 2011 XF Premium is an extremely well built auto with 100% reliability and no problems (25,000 miles). Well done to the engineers and employees at Castle Bromwich, UK, keep up the great work!

Advertising needs to emphasize the true characteristics of the auto- power, handling, comfort, and best of all exhilarating performance/fun to drive!

Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CashmereLeaper
Needed Refinements:
  • Reposition the Blind Spot Monitor icon from the side view mirrors to the interior rear view mirror for improved visibility/notification.
Really? All manufacturers put this on the side mirrors because that is the intuitive place to have them. If you are looking to move left/right you should naturally be checking that side mirror. One wouldn't necessarily be checking the internal rear view mirror. Given that a look over the shoulder is the proper way to proceed anyway, the internal mirror wouldn't necessarily be in one's line of sight at all!

I agree with your other points, except that I don't think an 8 speed tranny is necessary - certainly not on the SC versions anyway. 6 speed is almost unnecessary! The next step should be a proper DCT.

The '12 Nav/interface is apparently much improved. I don't think that any manufacturer will ever get that 100% right, since 1000 users will give 1000 different opinions based on how they use it. Speed is critical, but that is about it. The CX-16 concept I think had the right way forward - simply a large touch screen that replicates your smart phone, and associated amp/gubbins to improve the sound quality. With ubiquitous wifi/similar on its way, this is all we will need - full web access, cloud access to media, Google/whatever maps etc.

My only additional points for inclusion:

> Move the switches for heated/cooled seats/steering wheel away from the media interface and have real switches that can be left on between journeys!
> Louder exhaust on the XFR (and work on the SC versions' engine noise in general - the N/A sounds better!).

Last edited by darlo; 01-10-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Camera

Have built in camera in the front behind the rear view mirror or something to record events. Maybe a GoPro type?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Darlo, blind spot indicator needs to be on sideview mirrors and yes, the exhaust, especially on the XFR should be louder or better yet tuneable, performance vs. normal.

Old 01-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Heres' my list for what it is worth (US spec 2010 XF Premium):

1. As per CashmereLeaper, hide the right hand side wiper. Both wipers should park below the hood/bonnet line. It looks as if the wipers are faulty and unfinished.

2. Move high intensity rear light switch away from trunk/boot opener switch to a more convenient location.

3. I hate stalk mounted light switches. I prefer a dash mounted rotary switch. Feels better, looks better and looks less like a borrowed Ford part.

4. Boot/trunk has a close hand hold only on the right side. Should be both sides. It is designed for right hand drive not left hand drive where the driver moves to the left of the vehicle and not the right. A cost cutting exercise at the moment.

5. Bonnet/hood gaps at the front look as if there was a fit problem not a design element. Need to be reduced considerably.

6. Nav/Media system been covered by most people but my gripes are: difficult to use while vehicle in motion, small touch areas, useless nab system and slow response.

7. Clock/outside temperature should be visible on all screens and in front of driver.

8. Quality of graphics on display in front of the driver is poor (jaggies etc.).

9. Difficult to adjust lighting on driver displays so they do not make numbers illegible in certain light which may occur at dusk (moving from lighter to darker to lighter ambient settings).

10. Seats in standard (Premium) do not have adequate width or bolsters for normal drivers and holding driver in place whilst corning at speeds that are well within the car's capabilities.

11. The so called noise that is fed to the cabin for the engine is boomy and downright irritating. At certain speeds and throttle settings it booms. It sounds false. Eliminate it, in my opinion. Noise does not make a sports car, it just wastes energy and irritates.

Note I love this car and this list is much longer for other cars I have owned.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Dual clutch transmission offers no advantages at high torque values. Torque converter transmissions with lock up clutches are superior in the higher power situations where smoothness is considered to be important. DCT offers no useful speed advantages as a torque converter transmission is continuously engaged.

The two technologies are converging. Eventually, the software control of the lockup clutch combined with multiple planetary gear ratios will obviate the need for a torque converter at all. Mercedes already has a seven speed planetary without torque converter. Lamborghini is using an ingenious system which beats the DCT for speed by sacrificing some civility using a single clutch and electro hydraulic gear selection with normal manual gearsets.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

1. As per CashmereLeaper, hide the right hand side wiper. Both wipers should park below the hood/bonnet line. It looks as if the wipers are faulty and unfinished.

2. Move high intensity rear light switch away from trunk/boot opener switch to a more convenient location.

4. Boot/trunk has a close hand hold only on the right side. Should be both sides. It is designed for right hand drive not left hand drive where the driver moves to the left of the vehicle and not the right. A cost cutting exercise at the moment.

6. Nav/Media system been covered by most people but my gripes are: difficult to use while vehicle in motion, small touch areas, useless nab system and slow response.

7. Clock/outside temperature should be visible on all screens and in front of driver.

9. Difficult to adjust lighting on driver displays so they do not make numbers illegible in certain light which may occur at dusk (moving from lighter to darker to lighter ambient settings).
Agree with the numbered items reprinted above. As for #2, I am afraid to use the rear fog lights, as the boot lid release button is right next to it. Has anyone accidentally opened the boot whilst wanting to activate the fogs?

Amazingly, these are relatively small things. Jaguar really got most things right!

Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
Has anyone accidentally opened the boot whilst wanting to activate the fogs?
I believe that the trunk/boot switch will not operate when the vehicle is moving. I have never tried it though!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had occasion to attempt to activate the rear fog light while driving on the interstate at 75mph, and hit the trunk lid release instead......trunk opened! That needs a fix.......should be deactivated when in gear.

The following users liked this post:
mitch.thompson (04-04-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member

Heated seats and steering wheel should have an auto on function at a Pre selected level, as would be the case with something as simple as an actual switch. Having to switch them on and off repeatedly is dumb. And yes, I use these features every time I get in the car from October to May every year.

The following users liked this post:
Jimm Panik (01-14-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

switches/buttons need a better tactile feel when pressing them. German/Japanese cars have figured this part out

Avoid chromed plastic and use real metal instead, e.g. the bezel around the shifter knob looks like metal but is plastic and the shifter paddles areall plastic unlike BMWs which are metal and rubber.

This is too nice a car to not have the right finishing touches.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by CashmereLeaper
Needed Refinements:
  • Hide the wipers - they detract from the excellent styling.
  • Revise the washers for complete coverage on the windshield (currently the driver side lower area does not get coverage).
  • Increase the amount of vehicle data available on the message center, i.e, remaining oil life, oil temp, water temp, tranny oil temp, volts, actual tire pressures, elapse times, g force, etc.
I agree 100%. I've only had my car for a month but these things became obvious to me immediately. +1 each of these.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Heres' my list for what it is worth (US spec 2010 XF Premium):

8. Quality of graphics on display in front of the driver is poor (jaggies etc.).
Even with the map settings - font size - set to large, many of the items on the maps and display are too small to read easily. My biggest complaint is the area where it tells the time / distance remaining.

My wish would be a head up display. I had this feature in my Grand Prix 7 years ago. The cost on a feature like this is almost nothing with computer costs as low as they are. Everything that shows in the DIC should show on a HUD.

One other thing I noticed with the mapping is there is not an option for a 3D view. Again, my Pontiac from 05 had this option so this should be pretty easy to do. I drove the new two-door C350 Merc. The nav on this car is brilliant. Every screen on this car is in high def and looks amazing. Probably the best looking computer graphics in any car.

My last suggestion is a request to NOT go to a joystick / wheel input on the NAV / Radio / DIC functions like the BMW / Mercs are using. I do not like having that silly wheel in the middle of the center console. Stick with a large touch-screen, but add pop-up tabs that display when you move your finger near the screen.

Jimm

Old 01-14-2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
Amazingly, these are relatively small things. Jaguar really got most things right!
I second that. Out of all the things mentioned, nothing is a show-stopper that would drive a customer to a different vehicle IMO.

Jimm

Old 01-15-2012, 03:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

Chrome buttons would be perfect and 4 spoke steering wheel . I personally prefer J Gate over rotating gear selector but latter is more practical surely

Old 01-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member

Generally speaking you select a gear only twice each drive. From park to reverse and from reverse to drive. Manual shifts are performed by paddle actuation. Even the rising rotary selector is unnecessarily complex. Chrysler and Aston Martin Lagonda had the right idea with push buttons. Ferrari and others have a push button or two and, sometimes, a tiny reverse lever (for ergonomic reasons related to perception processing).

Shift levers of any type are now an anachronism as are manually operated transmissions with foot operated clutchesv

Quick Reply: A message to the engineers at Jaguar