XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

A message to the engineers at Jaguar

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:16 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Generally speaking you select a gear only twice each drive. From park to reverse and from reverse to drive. Manual shifts are performed by paddle actuation. Even the rising rotary selector is unnecessarily complex. Chrysler and Aston Martin Lagonda had the right idea with push buttons. Ferrari and others have a push button or two and, sometimes, a tiny reverse lever (for ergonomic reasons related to perception processing).

Shift levers of any type are now an anachronism as are manually operated transmissions with foot operated clutchesv
Gotta disagree, I do the park, reverse, drive pattern initially. Then go to Sport for some real fun. I still enjoy a good shift lever, the type on most Mercedes models is IMHO a cost saving move that is unnecessary.

As for the Chrysler push buttons from back in the day, they were a lot of fun. I believe that some Edsel's had them in the center of the steering wheel

Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

If you wish to shift manually that is what paddles are for. Nobody needs to take their hand off the wheel to shift any longer. The shift lever is as dead as a dodo. I have no idea why rally drivers are still required to use a shift lever, if they are. I know they have a manual brake lever for inducing drift.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The 2012 has 2D, 3D and North options.

Originally Posted by Jimm Panik
Even with the map settings - font size - set to large, many of the items on the maps and display are too small to read easily. My biggest complaint is the area where it tells the time / distance remaining.

My wish would be a head up display. I had this feature in my Grand Prix 7 years ago. The cost on a feature like this is almost nothing with computer costs as low as they are. Everything that shows in the DIC should show on a HUD.

One other thing I noticed with the mapping is there is not an option for a 3D view. Again, my Pontiac from 05 had this option so this should be pretty easy to do. I drove the new two-door C350 Merc. The nav on this car is brilliant. Every screen on this car is in high def and looks amazing. Probably the best looking computer graphics in any car.

My last suggestion is a request to NOT go to a joystick / wheel input on the NAV / Radio / DIC functions like the BMW / Mercs are using. I do not like having that silly wheel in the middle of the center console. Stick with a large touch-screen, but add pop-up tabs that display when you move your finger near the screen.

Jimm

Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsaustin
The 2012 has 2D, 3D and North options.
I've been toying with the NAV and the voice commands. I can't seem to get some of the POIs to display like I want, when I want. For example, my Pontiac Grand Prix has NAV and I can simple say, PARKING and the parking POIs display. Say GAS STATION and they display. Does nayone know how to get these POIs on screen without use of the POI quick button? This really erks me. We were in Chicago and the roads are too congested and busy to be bothered with having to fumble through the touch screen.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 AM
Default Excellent suggestions so far - let's keep it going

I'm very impressed at how many people have added their comments to this thread. It's filled with great suggestions and ideas. I'm thinking of possibly expanding the topic by saying:

If the XF were to go a little bolder and offer even higher performance options, what would we like to see this evolve into? For example, I've seen posts where some people think AWD should be available. Personally, I would love to see the 2 door version come into production. I saw a photo of the 2 door concept and I prefer it to the XK in some ways.

If we could list the features of the [We'll call it] XFR-S, what would it have that takes it beyond the XFR?

V10 or a larger V8?
More Supercharger PSI?
Mid engine design - assuming it becomes a two door eventually?
Larger Inner-Coolers with working RAM air?
Slotted - cross-drilled rotors and better calipers?
Get rid of the standard dash display and go all digital like the XJ has?
Magnetic suspension?
A option for wider wheels - you have to keep the power on the road.
7 Speed transmisison?

Old 01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
Heated seats and steering wheel should have an auto on function at a Pre selected level, as would be the case with something as simple as an actual switch. Having to switch them on and off repeatedly is dumb. And yes, I use these features every time I get in the car from October to May every year.
Default preferred levels and "auto on" for external temps in the low range. The rear defroster does it....silly not to have it for all cold weather comforts. I hate hitting the seat heat, then turning it down to 1 level every time I get in the car. That and the steering wheel heat.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

AWD is on the way. No doubt borrowed from the land rover side of things.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2 cents:
1. Remote start should be standard - for those cold N.Y. winter mornings.
2. Nav system with traffic updates
3. The seat memory location buttons are badly located - I feel like a contortionist sometimes.
4. The trunk release button has got to be moved!
5. Faster switching between touch-screen commands
Other than that, I love my 2011XF

Old 02-11-2012, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by cwood
Default preferred levels and "auto on" for external temps in the low range. The rear defroster does it....silly not to have it for all cold weather comforts. I hate hitting the seat heat, then turning it down to 1 level every time I get in the car. That and the steering wheel heat.

Here in Michigan, I have these same thoughts every morning. Why doesn't the seat and steering wheel warm automatically? Excellent point!

Jimm

Old 03-12-2012, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jimm Panik
I've been reading through the posts from many of these topics and would like to suggest that we begin a listing of things we [actual owners] would like to improve upon for future vehicles. I think this is excellent feedback that offers real world value if presented correctly. We will need to specify some detail as to what exactly is wrong and what we would like to see as the improvement. A statement that just complains about something will probably not carry much weight.

I'll start with my complaint about design of the 2010's touch screen. I think it would be easier to access different menus if the home screen category buttons were on the top / bottom as tabs. This would make them wider and easier to select. I've seen photo's of the 2011 screen changes but I believe that a few minor interface changes could still make a large improvement. For example, make the category selection buttons tabs that always remain visible from the top / bottom of the screen. There's plent of bezel space there so make the screen maybe an inch larger. This would work well with the home screen button also. One of my frequent complaints is that to there are too many clicks to navigate through the menu optiions. With [my own title for these] HOME TABS at the top, I could quickly get to the area I want without first having to back out of where I am in the menus.

Does anyone else have an ideas to send off to the engineers?

Jimm
Have you seen the UI on the 2012 XJ? I bought a 2011 6 weeks ago and am having huge problems - had a 2012 as a loaner and the UI is much improved - very user friendly and intuitive compared to mine. You would think, since it is just SW there could be an upgrade.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

another stupid thing is the garage door opener: you can not open the garage door from inside the car unless ignition is on, or engine is started. This means I have to open the garage before I get in the car - defeats the whole purpose. I guess not too many people have garages over the pond.....
As to the trunk release button location - no doubt Jaguar will have a major liability lawsuit on their hand soon.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need to design a better heated windshield. The wavy filaments can give a "mirage" effect on objects while driving during the day, and the light scatter at night is distracting. It can take a lot to get used to and I may swap it out for a regular one.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know if this has been listed before but here goes:

1. No place to store your sunglasses.
2. The door handle has an opening at the bottom so that space is useless to store a remote or keys.
3. no where to put coins.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:19 AM
Veteran Member

The garage door opener requiring the ignition to be on is a security feature. If it is always live and you ever park outside your garage then a thief can break into your garage by breaking into your car. I have had both types and prefer the more secure option. It is not necessary to switch off the car before activating the garage door nor do you need to open the garage door before you switch the engine on. Modern engines produce minute amounts of CO gas due to emission controls.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:06 PM

As a former owner of a 2010 XF Portfolio and now an owner of a 2012 XFR, there have been quite a few improvements and refinements but there are still a few things that erk me. Please note that I am basing my items of concern or quirks from my personal daily use and not based on the opinions of other users. So to the poster who has a concern about "Disagreements" I cannot control that. Quite a few of you posted quirks about the 2010/11 models of the XF. I can tell you that they addressed quite a few of those issues in the 2012 model. Most noticeably adding the XJ navigation and screen interface to the XF.

What I like

The updated navigation and interface. (no more stupid animations, and the ones that still exist, you can turn off) Personally I turned off the volume overlay. I know some people requested that but I find it annoying. The navigation is much more responsive, the Traffic management works when you set a destination. At first I thought the nav was being stubborn when it would route me completely out of the way but I soon learned when I ignored it and went the way I thought was better, there was a reason why the navi did not direct me that way..there was a traffic jam.
I like the inclusion of a dedicated NAV button and the ability to cancel navigation from the default home screen. It was always annoying to have to go back to map view, then hit two or three more presses to cancel the navigation

A dedicated seat climate control button (instead of having to go to the touch screen. you can still go through the touch screen but I like the real button more)

Interior: The B&W sounds the same as it did in my 2010 XF but I guess it is more prominent with the addition of a few speakers and doubling the wattage. The bluetooth streaming, and the fact that more than one phone can be paired at the same time. The removal of the proprietary ipod connector (now just use a normal usb port). I hate car companies that like to come up with their own ipod connectors. Voice control is improved (could be improved more though). Not quite as natural as a CLS63 or an A8 but getting there.
The inclusion of a real glove box button. I had no issues but I had passengers who could not for whatever reason open it. Nevertheless, I think the touch sensitive button was too gimmicky.

Exterior: The trunk lid...I am glad they added the auto-seal function. You no longer have to slam the trunk lid. I believe it is standard in all XFs for 2012.
I like the new headlights and the front end looks more concept like and less "Kia" like (no offense to die-hard Jag lovers). I can't tell you how many times I got that comment. I am on the fence with regards to the rear lights. I guess it looks fine with the inclusion of the lights on the trunk now but I honestly thought it looked fine before

my gripes

No lane departure warning (not a major thing but would be nice)
as previously mentioned by other posters, I agree with regards to the blind spot monitor locations on the mirror, they should be moved in or should be a thin line around the entire mirror or something, or inside the cabin on the door.

Front park sensors do not come on unless you hit the button or go into reverse first. It would be nice if you are pulling up to a parking spot (forward) and the front sensors would activate without having to push a button. At least have forward led indicators. I know they probably disabled it so it wouldn't go off every time a pedestrian walks in front of you when you are stopped at a light.

No adaptive cruise control standard on the XFR (sure it's a sporty base model but at that price point why not include it? It comes standard on the CLS63 and S6)

Personally I find the "surprise and delight" feature old and a novelty. I turn off the rotating vents. It is almost as novel as the purple highlighted compartments in the XJ

Why not add rear climate control seats as an option?

The passenger door seems harder to shut, I am having to tell my passenger to re-shut the door. Why don't they just incorporate the same technology to shut the door like they did the trunk lid (auto seal).

I am probably the only person that like the side gills/vents on the previous XF model design more than the 2012 model.

make the paddle shifters stationary or make them more pronounced like the Aston Martins)

Where are the front fog lights? I guess LEDs are suppose to replace them? It would be a nice option to have, considering they are in the rear already.

Like previously mentioned by another poster close gap in the door slammer that can't be used as storage.

As with other posters I agree that there should be a sunglasses holder.

move the rear camera..can't tell you how many times I see people trying to open my trunk and they keep confusing the rear camera as the "button"

Last edited by woodyp; 03-31-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting that even within this small sampling of suggested improvements you find disagreement. How would any manufacturer be able to please all their customers if the few folks responding here can't agree.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dadio
Interesting that even within this small sampling of suggested improvements you find disagreement. How would any manufacturer be able to please all their customers if the few folks responding here can't agree.

I was merely pointing out a few things that I would like seen improved. If it does not match what others desire then I cannot help that. I am only basing my wishes and gripes on my personal real world/daily usage of the XF series.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by woodyp
I was merely pointing out a few things that I would like seen improved. If it does not match what others desire then I cannot help that. I am only basing my wishes and gripes on my personal real world/daily usage of the XF series.
No offense meant. My post wasn't directed at you or anyone else for that matter. Just an observation that everyone has their own idea of what and how things might be improved. Issue for Jaguar is to sort out the changes that appeal to the most buyers which must be a tough thing to do given the varied nature of the comments fromall posters so far.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Live traffic and AD2P for the 2012?!?!? I may have bought the 2012 vs the 2011 had I known - oh well, still loving the cat. First service complete today at 5k miles.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,897 Likes on 8,402 Posts

IMHO, Jaguar should strive for building QUALITY into these cars.
Why not try to get to the top on the JD Powers list ?
TPMS stems breaking off and shredding tires, roofs popping, etc. NO EXCUSE for this type of workmanship on these cars. It's hard enough living down the past history of these cars being problems, why continue it with the new breed?
Refine and improve what's there now and quit adding stuff on these cars until the existing problems are no longer there..
They should/must build cars to the K.I.S.S. method
KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
[end rant]

The following users liked this post:
mitch.thompson (04-04-2012)

Quick Reply: A message to the engineers at Jaguar