XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Methanol Injection

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:16 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
In terms of splitting for 8 runners, there are kits available.

The bigger problem I think is space - the intake manifolds don't have runners, it's more of a chamber, there's one that sits each side of the supercharger:

Even so, the biggest problem is that these intake manifolds bolt directly onto the side of the supercharger, so there's no space on the inside of them, and anyone who's done a spark plug job on one of these engines knows how close the other side of the manifold (with the sticky pad on it) is to the injectors and coils. The only place you could get the clearance for the jets is on the shorter edges of the intake manifolds (which ends up being the front and the back of the engine) - not sure if this is going to have a wide enough coverage - or maybe in top of the charge cooler.

I've looked at various ways of cooling the supercharged air (especially as the heatsoak in this bay is ridiculous) and there's no room for larger radiators inside the charge cooler - I even looked at the possibility of fitting additional Laminova heat exchangers into the charge cooler as these are meant for tight spaces but it's going to be hard to make it work. In the end it seems like methanol injection really is the best option here, it's just the best way of injecting it.

I'm sure you could work something out, either with the front/rear edges of the intake manifolds, or into the charge cooler on top. Time to do more research, I think...
you ever look up the "killer chiller" system? basically is yet another HX to add - but it uses cars A/C system to cool the charge cooler loop which would really make for a get IAT drop. I don't think enough room to pack more tech under our hoods... Tibbs - i do look forward to hearing about the increased engine bay cooling with your new hood though!!