XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Might sell the XF

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Might sell the XF

I am considering selling my 2011 XF premium and trading it in for a 2011 XJ swb. I have liked my XF but never loved it. After some reflection, I realized the problem was that I wanted the car to be a combination of two things - a sports car and a luxury sedan. To me, a sports car has a stick shift and a luxury car is bigger than the XF. Thus, I am considering trading in the XF for an XJ and then buying something else in the sports car category when the time is right.

That said, I would like everyone's thoughts on the potential trade. The dealer is offering me 30k for my 2011 premium fully loaded with everything except dynamic cruise and 22k miles. They are asking 41k for a green 2011 XJ swb with 31k miles and certified. I don't put a lot of miles on my cars, I take commuter rail to work, so the miles don't worry me. I am thinking of taking the deal if they will put me in the XJ for 10k or under. What is everyone's thoughts? Is that a reasonable deal? Also, I pulled the carfax and noticed the car had the exhaust replaced and some wiring repaired. Would that worry anyone? The car has also been on the lot for 8 months. All in all, the car was only in service for 26 months. I don't need a new car, but think that this might be a good opportunity to trade up to something I like better. I welcome your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear you never loved your XF, but to each his own. Like you said, a sports car has a different meaning to everyone. I don't consider the XF a sports car unless you get the supercharged or XFR models, but that's only my opinion. I would get car you loved rather than just compromising. The XJ is a much more luxurious car than the XF. The XJ you mentioned sounds like a good deal, although I'm not sure why an exhaust would be replaced? Maybe some other members here can shed light on that issue.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM

I think it really comes down to the fact that I wanted a car to the left and right of the xf (xj class and Elise class) and settling in the middle left both wants unfulfilled. The xf is a great car, but it is neither of those two. I am in a position where I can more readily address both of those desires and that is why I am thinking of selling now.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Good move on getting two separate cars, I find that a lot of cars that try to do both end up compromising too much.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Have you driven the XJ yet? You are not going to feel a big difference between the two. Despite XJ's large size, it weighs the same with it's all aluminum construction, if not, less than the XF. Therefore, the driving dynamics are going to be very identical.

If you just want more luxury, then yes, the XJ will be the right car for you.

They may not be in your price range, but what about XJ SC? 0-60 is in super car territory.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:27 PM

I have. I have no problem with the ride of the xf. When I bought the car what I really wanted was a manual transmission convertible and a luxury sedan. However, I didn't have the garage space for both and my wife's car so I got the xf thinking it could appease both well enough for the time being. In short, it was almost set up to fail. I have since fixed the garage problem so this seems to be the next step. I want a bigger sedan - hence the xj. The sc would be nice, but as it is I don't even really exercise the xf. The other small convertible will eventually follow. In short, I am happy with the xf, it just wasn't what I wanted.

The following users liked this post:
Executive (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM

That said, any thoughts on the numbers/issues in the first post?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member

The price on that XJ is very good compared to what's in the market. Also, considering it probably had $80,000 sticker 3 years ago, definitively a great deal.

I don't know much about the XJs, but you may be better off starting another thread in the XJ section and linking this one to it. Probably get a lot more responses.

Regardless, good luck!

caviarjag (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I have both, a '12XF and a '12XJL. For the sense of luxury, XJL all the way. For driving abilities, such as handling, the XF is sharper.

Both cars are suspended with stiff springs but, my particular XJL has a very unpleasant, very low level vibration coming up through the chassis just from the road surfaces. This issue is not uncommon, I collected a fair sample of people's comments noticing the same problem. The same can not be felt in the XF. So, make absolutely certain that you test drive the XJ for longer than a typical short drive, try different road surfaces and see if you have any issues. It is not a major vibration and mostly becomes bothersome over longer, multi-hour drives.

caviarjag (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was offered $27k for my 2013 Ford Explorer as trade on my XF, but took it to Carmax and they offered me $32,000. Not a bad way to find out the value of your trade and also gives you another option. First time I have ever used or been on a Carmax lot.

caviarjag (03-17-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by axr6
I have both, a '12XF and a '12XJL. For the sense of luxury, XJL all the way. For driving abilities, such as handling, the XF is sharper.

Both cars are suspended with stiff springs but, my particular XJL has a very unpleasant, very low level vibration coming up through the chassis just from the road surfaces. This issue is not uncommon, I collected a fair sample of people's comments noticing the same problem. The same can not be felt in the XF. So, make absolutely certain that you test drive the XJ for longer than a typical short drive, try different road surfaces and see if you have any issues. It is not a major vibration and mostly becomes bothersome over longer, multi-hour drives.
Thanks. I have been following your odyssey with you XJ and made sure to take a long test drive. Didn't love the XJ I just looked at - didn't love the color combo and condition of the car - so the search continues.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:20 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm driving an XJ now since my car is in the shop. it's a base model but I love it. I didn't feel the vibrations axr6 has been talking about, maybe that's something that's in the LWB only. the one I'm driving is only a 3.0 but it feels almost as good as my V8. I wish it had more options, but I know if I were to buy one I would look for one with the options I want. Nice car, i want to get one later on in life.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the replacing of the exhaust, a while back I bought a certified X-type and the trans was replaced. The dealership said it was because it didnt meet Jaguars specifications, not that anything was wrong with it necessarily. I think they take the certified preowned very seriously and if for whatever reason the numbers dont match up to what ever tests they put it through, they just replace it. So I dont think it would be something to worry about and look at it this way, the car has brand new exhaust. I dont know if this helps because Ford owned Jag at the time of my experience but the dealers probably work the same way.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments. After nearly purchasing an XJ, I really changed things up and ended up going with an Audi A7 prestige. I am sure it will be an unpopular decision here, but I absolutely love the car. I definitely miss the power of the 5.0 v8, but the A7 is no slouch and the interior just seems so much more modern than the XF.

In my short time owning the XF, I have been really impressed with how far the enthusiast community has come here. My eyes have been opened to jaguar as a whole and there may be an f-type in my future if the rumors regarding a stick shift prove true (two separate dealers have told me there will be one - some of the largest jaguar dealers in the country). I will keep checking in with a curious eye as the enthusiast community grows.

I will be posting my like new Mina exhaust and new in box grill in the classifieds.

Last edited by caviarjag; 04-03-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by caviarjag
After nearly purchasing an XJ, I really changed things up and ended up going with an Audi A7 prestige.
I am still in a state of shock about my dad that was adamant about buying a new XJ, and then all of a sudden showed up at my house in a new Mercedes S550 last weekend.

He's British and a true Jaguar man through and through. But somehow he tried the Merc, and bought it on the spot after wandering out of the Jaguar dealer not feeling the XJ.

I like the XJ, but something must be wrong for someone like him to convert to a German car of all things!

As for me, the XF just floats my boat as a driver's car. I don't really think it's anything special from a passenger perspective, but the steering, the 5.0, the cornering, the braking, and feeling of being on a magnetic monorail just does it for me.

I feel like buying more XF's just for the heck of it since they are so cheap used.

Last edited by lotusespritse; 04-04-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

A7 was a good move. Those are really really nice. I would consider the RS7 in a few years when the price drops a little and I am ready to move on from the XFR.

Old 04-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the A7. Happy motoring.

I don't like Audi at all, but the A7 is the only car i would ever consider buying, that's how much i like them.

Old 04-05-2014, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
A7 was a good move. Those are really really nice. I would consider the RS7 in a few years when the price drops a little and I am ready to move on from the XFR.
Someone was test driving and ultimately buying the RS7 in the showroom while I was there. They started it up inside to drive out and it sounded amazing. Way more than I was willing to spend, but, like you said, maybe one day once used ones become available.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I liked the A7 design except the back. Then I heard the Fifth Gear hosts talking about it looked like a hyena. Now I see a hyena every time I see one (except from the front where it is a very attractive car).

Old 04-06-2014, 01:03 AM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Don't expect the RS7's price to drop much. Since they hardly ever bring any of the RS Audis to America. The price always stay high on them and they are almost never available used. A few months ago, before I bought my Jag, and I was still looking for an A6 with everything I wanted, I test drove a 2008 RS4 with 80,000 miles on it, they still wanted $31,000 for it, and that was the cheapest one listed in the entire country. I was considering buying it. But I didn't want a car so old with so many miles. But it was probably worth the price.

Quick Reply: Might sell the XF