XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Mina Exhaust or Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:23 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Thor82
Here you go. Sorry about the quality, but we got 7 inches on Friday. So I had to take a quick vid in the garage.

2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged rear box delete. - YouTube
That's not as loud as I thought it would be. Maybe a touch more than I'm looking for, but it means I could probably do some fairly high flow mufflers and be fine (if I don't just remove the valves from the stock ones).

Old 11-23-2015, 05:23 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you remove the resonators in the centre section and add an X-pipe it gets much louder - for the better..

The Varex unit is straight pipe when the valve is open and channels the gases (and noise) through the chambers when the valve is closed. Hence Open = Loud and Closed = Quiet.

Closed is quieter than stock.

Open is as loud as a straight pipe.

Perfect blend in my opinion.

I wonder how adding 200 Cell Sports cats would sound with a fully open exhaust...

Old 11-23-2015, 02:58 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Great vid Thor, sound is very mellow and sounds less poppy than mine.......link is with Quicksilver boxes and second resonator delete.......goung to squeeze in a power run hopefull monday to see how much power the center resonator is stealing.....

The following users liked this post:
Jaaaggg (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:35 PM

I have mine at the shop right now getting the resonators replaced with an X pipe (as well as figuring out whether they can fix a leaking metal pipe going to the radiator. Trans fluid, we think). I'm pretty excited to hear how it turns out.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:41 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by damienedwards
Great vid Thor, sound is very mellow and sounds less poppy than mine.......link is with Quicksilver boxes and second resonator delete.......goung to squeeze in a power run hopefull monday to see how much power the center resonator is stealing.....XFR startup and revs - YouTube
Car sounds amazing, it's pretty smooth too at idle.

Originally Posted by n8ertot
I have mine at the shop right now getting the resonators replaced with an X pipe (as well as figuring out whether they can fix a leaking metal pipe going to the radiator. Trans fluid, we think). I'm pretty excited to hear how it turns out.
I am doing the same tomorrow morning. My mid section has a muffler, two resonators, and a H-pipe. Getting all of that replaced with an X-Pipe and straight pipes, I am excited to see the outcome.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:30 PM

Well, there's a halt to my plans. Turns out the trans line leaking is going to run me over $1k to fix and I'm going to need to also replace the water pump. Tough to justify this upgrade on top of those costs right now, so I guess I'll have to go without until later. Fortunately I've already seen a good DIY on replacing and upgrading the pump, so that should help a bit. I don't have a lift to do the trans replacement, so it's off to the dealer.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by n8ertot
Well, there's a halt to my plans. Turns out the trans line leaking is going to run me over $1k to fix and I'm going to need to also replace the water pump. Tough to justify this upgrade on top of those costs right now, so I guess I'll have to go without until later. Fortunately I've already seen a good DIY on replacing and upgrading the pump, so that should help a bit. I don't have a lift to do the trans replacement, so it's off to the dealer.
Trans line that cost a grand to replace? I'd get a second opinion.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:04 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Modified the midpipe, removed everything and put a straight pipe in place. Really like the way the car sounds now, little louder with no drone.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Trans line that cost a grand to replace? I'd get a second opinion.
My thought too. Indy shop said $1k. Second Indy said $900. Jag Dealer said $800. I figured I'd go with the dealer at that point.

Bigg Will (11-30-2015)
Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Well mine doesn't drone. got it off Ebay for $500.

Fit like a glove too!
Very nice deal Will..

do you happen to know if this will fit the '12 XF NA version? I only read about XFR's having Mina put on, never a NA 5.0...since my exhaust ports are oval instead of dual oulets..worried about the clearances.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2015, 04:11 PM

So had the car back on the dyno with the center resonator delete........v interesting!!!

Lost 8whp at 5800 rpm.......but gained a huge amount of torque!! From about 2000 through to 4000 rpm anout 30ft/lb......through to 5000 rpm where it equalises with the first session..........butt dyno confirms the lump of extra torque!!!

bfarrell (10-30-2020)
Old 12-03-2015, 06:22 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by damienedwards
So had the car back on the dyno with the center resonator delete........v interesting!!!

Lost 8whp at 5800 rpm.......but gained a huge amount of torque!! From about 2000 through to 4000 rpm anout 30ft/lb......through to 5000 rpm where it equalises with the first session..........butt dyno confirms the lump of extra torque!!!
Can you recap what you have to achieve those numbers? All performance mods please?

I am heading to a customizer exhaust place Saturday and want to know do I can match it.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:41 AM

xf premium......

sorry buddy a bit late!! My XFR has quicksilver rear boxes, the center section has the standard forward single box muffler and the second center resonator has been removed and replaced with straight pipes.......on the intake side the air silencers have been removed so the intake is smooth.....has K&N airfilters with most of the lower half of the airboxes cut away.........we do not believe the car is re-mapped and it definately has the standard pulley. All my dyno runs are using 98RON fuel.........we do know its putting out more whp/torque to the rollers with this set up that the F type R they had on the dyno!!!! Quick vid of the car on the dyno with the above set up.........don't forget to post a vid of ypure exhaust!!!

Old 12-05-2015, 04:35 PM

I had a new center section made today for my 2013 5.0 SC. (475hp) Went with straight pipes for now. May decide to have X-pipe installed later. This was built so that I can swap in the stock section later if desired.

Stock front pipes outlet to center section. Notice the reduced pipe ends and a raised bead. Kind of a pain to work with, but we managed.

Stock center out of car

New center looking rear to front

Better view of the connection and braces

No more resonators, may do X-pipe at a later time in this section

Front connection. Slip-fit and small tack weld to keep from moving. Can easily grind down and slide off if I want to revert back to stock.

New pipes front to rear

Plenty of clearances

Center connection to rear section. I should be able to install aftermarket (Mina) at a later time if I choose to do so.

I have a video of the sound, just have to upload and tag. Quite a bit more rumble, a hint of raspy cackle with a blip of the loud pedal. No drone at any speed, very faint popping/cackle under decel when manually down shifting aggressively.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:30 PM

Sitting in the driveway, just after a wash.

damienedwards (12-06-2015)
Old 12-05-2015, 05:46 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Nice, sounds bad ***

Old 12-05-2015, 05:53 PM

Agreed. That sounds really good.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:38 PM

Does sound really good. I thing the straight through rear silencers give the exhaust a deeper note......my next step is to try a H pipe......and another dyno run

Old 12-06-2015, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 2,389 Posts

A week ago I fitted an H-pipe in place of the central muffler. The central resonators are still in place as are the stock rear mufflers, unmodified.
Only the slightest increase in loudness and no drone at all.
A few weeks ago I fitted a TCP intake and surprisingly it beefed up the exhaust note quite a bit, sounded really good.
After fitting the H-pipe the exhaust note has changed, as others have reported. It's lost some of the beefiness that the TCP intake caused, and it's now smoother and more refined. I actually prefer the pre H-pipe note! On the plus side the supercharger whine is now a little more pronounced, partly due to the TCP intake and partly due to the H-pipe.
Next step (after trying the XKR-S tune yet again tomorrow!) is to refit the straight-through rear mufflers I took off a few months ago because they were just too loud and droney, and see if they are now better behaved with the H-pipe in place.
I doubt they will be any better, but it's worth a try.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

It's interesting how the sound changes, both from intake and exhaust, in tone and volume with different modifications. The stranger part is they often don't end up how you thought they would go ie. more flow yet higher tone, and the intake making the exhaust louder and a bit deeper.

Glad I've found a sound I'm happy with. Good luck with your tune again.

Quick Reply: Mina Exhaust or Muffler Delete