XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

My newly black packed 09 XF

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by rumpaco
Interesting choice with the leaper. Can't say I would do it myself, but now people won't wonder what kind of car it is!
As I've said, I wouldn't put leaper on facelift but that being said, my black leaper has been a huge hit with everyone that stops me when they see it.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I picked up the black pack grill from UK Ebay. For those that are picking one up or plan on picking one up eventually keep in mind that the grill install is fairly complicated. The entire front bumper has to come off for install which as philhef mentioned it's not terribly difficult but it is time consuming. I'm very happy with the new look. I took enough pictures so I could put a how-to together if people want one. The grill is a true black pack grill it is not a stock painted grill that some guy is selling on Ebay. There is no chrome behind the black so you won't have to worry about the black chipping off.

Attached Thumbnails My newly black packed 09 XF-blackpackgrill.jpg   My newly black packed 09 XF-bumperremoval2.jpg   My newly black packed 09 XF-bumperremoval.jpg  

Last edited by Blackcoog; 06-04-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

The step to remove the large bottom pan can be eliminated. It actually comes of with the bumper so it will save you some time and an extra step.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 136 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
I picked up the black pack grill from UK Ebay. For those that are picking one up or plan on picking one up eventually keep in mind that the grill install is fairly complicated. The entire front bumper has to come off for install which as philhef mentioned it's not terribly difficult but it is time consuming. I'm very happy with the new look. I took enough pictures so I could put a how-to together if people want one. The grill is a true black pack grill it is not a stock painted grill that some guy is selling on Ebay. There is no chrome behind the black so you won't have to worry about the black chipping off.

That black grill looks good!

Old 06-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackcoog
Go head and post the how to. Ive had this black grille collecting dust for months

Old 06-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 516 Likes on 333 Posts

I've become quite fast at removing the front bumper!
First, i use jack stands to raise the front end about a foot for easy access, then I put a large packing blanket down to lay the bumper on.
Next, remove the bolts (i believe 4 maybe 6) on the back edge of the under pan. Not the ones connecting the pan to the bumper. The pan will stay attached to the bumper. Remove the two bolts at the bottom of the wheel well.
Next remove the four (maybe 6) bolts under hood. Two on top of grille, two beside lights.
Lastly, you need to pull the tabs holding the bumper to the wheel arches. No bolts here but you will need to use a little gentle force. Two people will make holding the bumper easier.
There are two sensors at each wheel well that simply pull off and one wiring loom in driver wheel well that needs to be unplugged. I
This is front parking sensors if equipped. A little tricky but not too bad.
There are two bolts holding the grille, remove those. Then the bottom plastic tabs are all that's left. Start on one side and use a flat screw driver to gently pry them loose, starting on one side and work your way across.
After grille is removed, simply pop in new grille and reverse steps.
Make sure to replace sensors and plug loom in. I forgot the first time and had to start all over!!
I suggest, while you have the bumper off, adding the adamesh drl blades to the lower air intakes. You have to remove the drivers head lamp but it's very easy as well three bolts. And the installation instructions for wiring are so straight forward, it only took an hour to install. But the finished look is stunning and I've never seen another in the USA!!
Hope this helps!!