XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

My XF is in the body shop right now...update.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default My XF is in the body shop right now...update.

Many of you already know the damage my garage door did to my XF. I am happy to report that the new garage door panel has been installed, and the sensors moved up to 30" off the ground, which should be able to sense the entire car front to back, preventing this from ever happening again in the future. For those of you who aren't familiar with my 'story,' here is a link to the original thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ge-door-78133/

I took it in for service yesterday, and got an email from the dealer (it is a BMW service shop) saying that the original quote ($825) is out the window because their roof tech found that the roof panel was cracked under the sunroof. New pictures are below. They said that the roof panel now has to be welded together, 2 seconds on one side, 5 on the other. I worry that the heat will warp the entire roof panel. They sent me an email, assuring me that it won't (so I have that in writing...), and that this is the final estimate they see coming, at just over $1140. I gave the go ahead, but can't rest in the meantime...opinions?

Name:  JAG.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  JAG1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  68.5 KB

Name:  jag2.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  50.5 KB

Name:  jag3.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  46.5 KB

Thanks,
Arlingtonman

Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

wow - that is a lot of force to crack in that location. Thanks for sharing - I'll be more careful w/ my garage door for sure.

As for welds and your (very valid) concern - as with anything it can happen if the technician does a poor job. But any junior welder/bodyman should be able to correct that w/ no problem.

hope you get her back soon to enjoy

Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

I have a very small crack or paint chip on my roof that looks pretty similar to that crack. I figured it was a factory defect since nothing has ever damaged the roof. I'll have to ask the dealer about it. Hopefully it isn't that involved to fix.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

arlingtonman,

Were you also able to program your homelink button on your mirror? That will keep you from having your fob in your pocket and will also help to eliminate the accident from happening again.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:46 PM

UltBlackXF - Yeah, it did more damage than I (or the body shop) thought it did. They called me this afternoon and told me that they got the welding done, nothing went wrong, and it was in the paint department to have the whole panel painted. Tomorrow morning they are going to buff out where my car was keyed on the side (since I never got around to that) for free...and then clean and detail the car inside, and wash it before delivery tomorrow night.

Blackcoog - I suggest you take it in to your dealer or body shop soon. My body shop said if water got in the crack, over time, it could rust the frame (as the XF roof is not aluminum...just the hood is). I hope yours isn't as bad.

ttboonie - Yes, my garage door company programmed it when they came to repair the door last week. I use the keypad to get into the garage (it is not attached to my house) and then use the HomeLink from the car, so I don't have to carry the fob on me, ever. It is safely stored in the house, now, in case I ever should need it.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry about your misfortune. I was much luckier. Several months ago I hit the garage closer as I was backing out in my '09; there was a large noise and the door reversed. I concluded that the door hit the rear window, and I couldn't find any damage. Several days later, though, someone pointed out to me that one of my brake/tail lights was out. The dealer found that a circuit board controlling the LED's was cracked, and replaced it under warranty. Appears to me the collision with the door cracked the PCB.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

glad everything is working out. TC

Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM

TC - Thanks for the comment.

I have a new update for you all.

Picked it up today. Was supposed to yesterday, but they somehow broke the roof molding clips, which had to be overnighted internationally and then they sent someone to drive 2 hours to the nearest Jag dealer to get them, then drive 2 hours back. 4 clips = $350...ugh.

It looks FLAWLESS which I am so thrilled about. I have noticed two things since I picked it up, though, that I'm not liking:

1) I don't know if this is just my OCD talking, but I noticed tonight driving it that the newly-painted roof appears to be getting heavy-laid with condensation. The old paint never did that, and none of the rest of the car gets "moist" like that. Any ideas? Is it because the paint is fresh, or something else?

2) I have a problem with my windows going up. When I took it in, "one-touch" worked for both up and down. Now, one-touch will make the windows go down, but not up. I have to manually hold the lever up for the windows to close, and this is the case on all 4 windows (I checked to be sure). I have no clue what could be causing this. I noticed they messed up all my settings and whatnot (time was off when I got in, bass was rocking the entire car, etc.) and I had to go back and adjust those few things...could this maybe be a setting that I just can't find? Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

P.S. Adding a post to the XF Promo Ad thread...treated myself to that soundtrack through the B&W...check it out.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

I will be the guy to tell you the good news.

I wouldn't worry about the condensation. That's normal. The weather is probably not too different from NY and it's been very humid so....

As far as the one touch window up down feature, that can be fixed. They most likely disconnected the battery when working on the car and it just needs to be reprogrammed. Don't know the "how to" at the moment, but will see if i can come up with anything.

Here we go:

The way to do this is simple, basically roll the window down and keep the switch pressed after the window is all the way down for a couple seconds. Repeat when you roll the window back up, and the one touch works again You need to do this for all the windows, and it only works from the drivers door switch.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ne-touch-7101/

Old 08-16-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Executive
I will be the guy to tell you the good news.

I wouldn't worry about the condensation. That's normal. The weather is probably not too different from NY and it's been very humid so....

As far as the one touch window up down feature, that can be fixed. They most likely disconnected the battery when working on the car and it just needs to be reprogrammed. Don't know the "how to" at the moment, but will see if i can come up with anything.

Here we go:

The way to do this is simple, basically roll the window down and keep the switch pressed after the window is all the way down for a couple seconds. Repeat when you roll the window back up, and the one touch works again You need to do this for all the windows, and it only works from the drivers door switch.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ne-touch-7101/
You are always the saving grace I need, Exec!

I will try that with the windows tomorrow. Weather has been humid and the air has been moist, so hopefully that will go away as the weather changes.

Thanks so much for your reply!

Always a pleasure,
Arlingtonman