XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

My XFR Exhaust - Modified

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by thedigitel
I'm assuming only the XFR mufflers have this valve, and not the XF / XFS? My XF mufflers have the same round shaped thing on the back side of each can, but I haven't been able to find a picture of a XFR muffler to compare how they look.
I've replaced the cans on both my 2010 XFS and now my 2013 XFR. The back cans on both look the same.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Craneboy, really appreciate the advice on the valve removal. I had it done last week and my exhaust is finally what I wanted. First, I removed both center resonators and replaced with an x-pipe. Smoothed out the sound but didn't make it appreciably louder. Was looking at possibly getting a custom exhaust made, but GN4HIR (thanks again Joe) was giving his exhaust away and I thought it was a perfect way to try the valve delete. So glad I did. The car has more character and I'd never consider it loud, absolutely perfect for me. Had the girlfriend in the car last night and she said the car sounded great. And she isn't interested in the performance of cars whatsoever. The combination of x-pipe, tune and pulley, and valve delete has completely taken away the decel. popping I intended to remove from the beginning and given me a more exotic sound as well.
Glad you like it Kyanite. It does work very well.
I might get round to developing some new (higher flow) rear silencers for the car in the near future. That should be a good challenge as keeping drone noise down is a must! The use of helmholtz chambers should do the trick
Will keep you all posted.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by thedigitel
I'm assuming only the XFR mufflers have this valve, and not the XF / XFS? My XF mufflers have the same round shaped thing on the back side of each can, but I haven't been able to find a picture of a XFR muffler to compare how they look.
From what I've seen the 4.2 and the 5.0 engines have the same rear silencers.

HTH

Andy

Old 04-02-2014, 12:17 AM

I finally got around to having my exhaust system revamped. I've had the x-pipe for about month but the weather here keeped my little girl in storage.
First I must say, This was well worth the investment. Thanks cranboy for this post. I had the spires rear installed a few weeks after buying my little girl back in June 2013. I had another spires exhaust on my 2010 XFSC and never really had the decel poping and really liked the rear replacement. So my choice was to go and get the XFR system from spires. The decel popping was crazy after the install but it did quite down alittle with a few miles. I still had the popping but general on medium to fast decel. Well, as of today that has come to a end. I decided to go 2.5 all the way back to the spires system with the addition of the x-pipe in the front, exactly placed where the first resonator was located.
MY Thoughts: As Kyanite stated earlier in the post,
1. The removel of the resonators did not make the car to much louder but much more smoother. The exhaust note is more linear and even with a hint of a angry cat.
2. Throttle reponse is more on par with a car of this nature.
3, Decel popping is low to none. Although I think I got used to it but better off without.
My advice, If you have any of the after market rear system, The X-pipe and resonator deletion maybe a good next step to a better exhaust sound.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Glad the x-pipe worked for you as it did for me, especially with your aftermarket exhaust.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

For those of you who had this exhaust work done, what was the price for each thing that you did (resonator delete, x-pipe, valve delete, secondary cat removal, etc)? Kicking around whether or not I want to go forward with this, and price is obviously a factor. Thanks...

Old 04-14-2014, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

I paid $250 for my x-pipe and $200 to remove the muffler valves and reinstall. Paid another $50 for the extra stock exhaust just in case I didn't like it and so the shop could remove the valves at their leisure. Removal of the two center resonators was free :-)

Old 04-14-2014, 11:55 PM

Couple followup questions for you:

I take it the extra stock exhaust you bought for $50 came from another XFR owner?

Was the X-pipe custom-built by the muffler shop, or are these available pre-made?

Are the two resonators all there are, or is there a third one anywhere? Wasn't sure if you meant the two resonators were side by side, or at different points in the exhaust path.

Finally, for those who have removed the secondary catalytic converter, has that created any issues from an emissions testing standpoint? Put another way, are there any negatives to removing the secondary cat?

If the all-in cost of adding the X-pipe and removing resonators and the valve is $500, seems like a pretty good deal vs the Mina at 900-1000 isntalled (which isn't a bad deal to begin with).

Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by texevora

I take it the extra stock exhaust you bought for $50 came from another XFR owner?

Was the X-pipe custom-built by the muffler shop, or are these available pre-made?

Are the two resonators all there are, or is there a third one anywhere? Wasn't sure if you meant the two resonators were side by side, or at different points in the exhaust path.

Finally, for those who have removed the secondary catalytic converter, has that created any issues from an emissions testing standpoint? Put another way, are there any negatives to removing the secondary cat?

If the all-in cost of adding the X-pipe and removing resonators and the valve is $500, seems like a pretty good deal vs the Mina at 900-1000 isntalled (which isn't a bad deal to begin with).
Yes. I bought it from another forum member. At some point I'll pass mine along in the same way.

The muffler shop hand made it. They do have them premade, but not sure how they differ from the custom one I had made.

The two resonators are in line with each other and get removed when they put in the x-pipe. Not sure of any others in the chain.

Secondary cats still in place so don't know about that.

Depends on how much sound and the tone of the sound you want. If you want it smoother, the x-pipe really works. Took away almost all of the decel popping. If you like that you will want to just put on different mufflers. If you want it a bit louder than stock, the x-pipe and the valve removal wakes up the sound to where you can hear it. Never loud, just audible, unlike the stock that you can barely hear. And don't worry about having a set of stock mufflers if you don't like the sound. I took mine in and the service manager didn't even notice the exhaust note difference. It just sounds like it always should have. I don't see the need to ever put the stock ones back on.

I heard another forum member's car who got a custom exhaust with the x-pipe and Magnaflow mufflers and his sounds very good. I'd take it over what I have. But it was $1,500 for the system. For the difference, I'll take my $500 solution.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by texevora

I purchased the X-Pipe from Auto Anything for about $90.00 Bucks, Its called the Magnaflow Tru-X-pipe. It was rated really high so I went with it. I already had the Spires back boxes installed but from what I understand, I could have went with Mina system and saved some money. I went with 2.5 inch X-pipe and 2.5 inch tube all the way to the Spires system. The deletion of the resonators was free. In the end I paid $300.00 beans for the work and the install of the X-pipe. Added another grand if your going to change out the back end. If I had it to do over again, I would have went with Mina but I already know what the Spires system sounded like. Removel of the valve in the stock boxes is also a option. But I happen to like the chrome out back..
As for emissions, I just had the car inspected and my O2 level are well below the legal limit for Pa. No problems there. The car operates and function alot smother and the sound is more level. I think a system like this should be standard on the XF sports models (R) or (R-S). I know jagaur added the x-pipe and deleted the resonator from the (R-S) models but they keep the same back boxes or mufflers. In many of the reviews I've seen since the F type came out, This is the one weak point that is picked apart when it come to the XF model line, The car is to quite unless you hammering the go pedal. Hope that helps..

Old 04-16-2014, 11:12 AM

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

I think I may do this in stages... first with the Mina XFR exhaust, then depending on whether or not I want more volume/less decel popping, replace center resonators with X-pipe and 2.5" tubing to the Mina. I'd rather leave the cats alone, even if they don't have sensors.

Now if only I hadn't gotten whacked by the tax-man yesterday , I'd pull the trigger on the first stage right now...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member

You're not alone on that. Tax man got me too! Just lucky I got all my mods done ahead of time.

Last edited by 2010 Kyanite XFR; 04-21-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a muffler delete on my car right now. It is not an xfr though its a 5 litler N/A. I wonder if i should delete the resonator and replace it with an x pipe. You guys are running stock mufflers thats why i think my car is probably as loud as yours. Would running some nice mufflers like mina with a resonator delete give it an loud exotic sound?

Old 04-21-2014, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ajay Mann
I have a muffler delete on my car right now. It is not an xfr though its a 5 litler N/A. I wonder if i should delete the resonator and replace it with an x pipe. You guys are running stock mufflers thats why i think my car is probably as loud as yours. Would running some nice mufflers like mina with a resonator delete give it an loud exotic sound?
Hey Ajay,

Believe it or not, The car doesn"t get that much louder with the resonator and secondary cat delete. I was surprised but I think it has something to do with the leght of tube that the gas has to run before it come out the back end. What it does do is run alot smoother then stock.. IMHO..

Old 05-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xfrs exhaust

I have bought a full xfrs exhaust system and cats for my xfr. Anyone know if any difference in the cats or should I modify them like CraneBoy has?.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

I have yet to see any XF do hi flow cats. I would do it in a heart beat if there was a reputable exhaust shop near me. It's very popular over at the STR section of the forum. They are using the Magna flow hi flow cat # 59975. It has the perfect angle to be a straight weld in, besides moving the O2 bungs. The STR crowd swears by the performance.

The following users liked this post:
PrestigeDoug (05-12-2014)
Old 05-13-2014, 09:40 AM
Received 179 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by chXFS
I have yet to see any XF do hi flow cats. I would do it in a heart beat if there was a reputable exhaust shop near me. It's very popular over at the STR section of the forum. They are using the Magna flow hi flow cat # 59975. It has the perfect angle to be a straight weld in, besides moving the O2 bungs. The STR crowd swears by the performance.
I looked into it and couldn't find an appreciable gain worth the effort.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi all,
Want to share my experience with exhaust on XFR 10'.

First I deleted only the valves, everything else was stock. It was louder but not very significantly. Then I ordered magnaflow mufflers with tips, car started to sound really brutal and loud, but too loud for easy cruising. So we made xpipe with magnaflow middle resonator after removing cats and original resonators. XFR started to sound like a Ferrari, smooth but sharp metal sound and drone were crazy, couldn't stand it. So we changed xpipe to straight pipe and removed middle res. Car lost some power and became unbelievably loud. At least this "metal" sharp sound disappeared. So now, we've made custom xpipe and two powerflow resonators for each pipe. Sounds amazing in higher revs (2000+) but... Again there's a but. In 1500 rpm which is most common rev, it sounds too bassy and low, like extra low sub with vibration, so again its not possible to drive... Last solution will be replacing magnaflow with some other end mufflers and hope for the best. Anyway guys, what do you think, is there some difference between xfr and xfrs rear mufflers?

Old 12-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Good to read your exhaust experiences raulan.
Personally I've not seen any difference between the XFR and XFR-S rear silencers.

As for you droning problems, I suggest that you have a helmholtz resonator installed by your rear silencers.
Droning is very common on auto cars with performance exhausts fitted. It can be overcome by the right design and resonators installed.
I will be changing my rear silencers soon and installing helmholtz resonators at teh same time to stop the droning.

HTH

Andy

raulan (01-19-2015)
Old 12-05-2014, 11:36 AM

In case you 've never seen one, here's a pair of helmholtz resonators fitted to a 350Z

raulan (01-19-2015)

Quick Reply: My XFR Exhaust - Modified