XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Nearside main beam Xenon not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nearside main beam Xenon not working

I have a 2012 XF-S with Xenon headlamps. I am not a techie so please be gentle.
Am I correct in saying the Xenons change from dipped to main beam by the movement of a reflector, as there is only one bulb in the light?
A few nights ago I put my lights onto main beam and they stayed on dipped. Neither worked on main beam. I got home, switched off the car and a few minutes later restarted it to find the offside main beam worked correctly but no nearside mean beam working.
When changing from dipped to main you can hear a noise in the offside headlamp but not the nearside , which leads me to think there is movement in the light to change beams.
Why would I lose both main beams then get the offside one back?
Any advise please?

Old 09-10-2023, 10:13 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, ( well almost, it's a shutter that moves in the projection system )
Perhaps if the car can detect the fault, it will prevent use of main beam to keep the lighting symmetrical.
Maybe now the CJB can't detect the fault.
If you haven't already then I'd suggest you check the CJB for water ingress, lots of threads on that so have a search. ( Screenwash from the washer pump can leak through the harness to the CJB, and arrives on the same connector used for the shutter for the the right hand light. )

Old 09-10-2023, 11:06 AM

[The light not working is the left, ie nearside. Is this affected by washer pump? And what is a CJB? Thanks for the reply. QUOTE=sportbrake_phil;2677579]Yes, ( well almost, it's a shutter that moves in the projection system )
Perhaps if the car can detect the fault, it will prevent use of main beam to keep the lighting symmetrical.
If you haven't already then I'd suggest you check the CJB for water ingress, lots of threads on that so have a search. ( Screenwash from the washer pump can leak through the harness to the CJB, and arrives on the same connector used for the shutter for the the right hand light. )[/QUOTE]

Old 09-10-2023, 11:32 AM

Both flaps are run from the CJB, though not from the same connector, so it could still be CJB related ( in fact they may swap the wiring for left hard drive models too )
The CJB ( also known as BCM ( body control module), and FSJB ( front smart junction box ) in behind the panel towards the outside of the car in the front footwell ( I think it's always the right hand footwell ) there's a trap door in the panel to get to the fuses in it, but you need to remove the trim across the bottom of the doorway ( comes straight up), the trim on the side of the dash ( pull the sealing strip away, and pry it outwards starting at the edge nearest the seats ), then you can pull corner nearest the rear of the car of the trim covering the CJB upwards, and finally pull it out towards the rear of the car. ( Sounds complicated but pretty obvious when you do it, a trim removal tool helps a lot to get the doorway one out without damage )

There are many threads about the washer pump to cjb water ingress problem for example https://www.jaginfo.org/threads/xf-o...4/post-2925764

Old 09-10-2023, 11:36 AM

Is it by any chance a sportbrake? ( if so the blue connector powers the washer pump, and also does the left light flap. )

Old 09-10-2023, 01:37 PM

Sorry we are confusing each other. I am in Norwich UK and it is my nearside headlamp that is the problem. You mentioned the right light which confused me. Thanks for the info and advice but I am confused about how the washer pump (on the offside) can affect the nearside headlamp?
Originally Posted by doublekite
[The light not working is the left, ie nearside. Is this affected by washer pump? And what is a CJB? Thanks for the reply. QUOTE=sportbrake_phil;2677579]Yes, ( well almost, it's a shutter that moves in the projection system )
If you haven't already then I'd suggest you check the CJB for water ingress, lots of threads on that so have a search. ( Screenwash from the washer pump can leak through the harness to the CJB, and arrives on the same connector used for the shutter for the the right hand light. )
[/QUOTE]

Old 09-10-2023, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by sportbrake_phil
Is it by any chance a sportbrake? ( if so the blue connector powers the washer pump, and also does the left light flap. )
Saloon not sportbrake.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:48 PM

The shutters in both lights are controlled by electrically by the CJB, so water ingress to the CJB from the washer pump, could effect either side, but would be most likely to affect the right side on the saloon, and left side on the sportbrake, as the wires are in the same multiplug. The washer pump is wired to the top left ( as you look at it ) multiplug on the saloon so water can run down to anything below ( and inside the CJB too )

It could of course be a wiring failure, or failure of the headlight unit, but it's well worth checking the CJB in any case as that problem is quite common, and can cause all manner of problems.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:17 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

There's a similar thread about this here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...orking-273042/

Old 09-11-2023, 08:52 AM

Looking at replacement headlamps if this becomes necessary, Euro Car parts have a new one for £774.99 (their code 471630190), and there are of course used ones on eBay.

Can anyone advise the correct part number please?

On eBay they are quoting 13W030-ED and 13W030-DE.....whats the difference between ED and DE?

Old 09-11-2023, 09:11 AM

I replaced the washer pump during lockdown for the newer model after reading horror stories on here, even though I had no issues at the time. However I have never checked the CJB. How to I access this on the saloon and has anyone got a picture of which plug is the issue please (I believe its the top left from some other threads but it would be good to be sure). Thanks.

Yes, ( well almost, it's a shutter that moves in the projection system )

Old 09-11-2023, 02:33 PM

See my post #4 above
( I'm not sure I can explain it any clearer, personally I've used to bent end of the widest tool in this set pushed under from the carpet side of the scuff plate across the drivers doorway to lift it )

See link thread linked to in post #4 for pic of corroded connector too.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:24 AM

See my post #4 above
( I'm not sure I can explain it any clearer, personally I've used to bent end of the widest tool in this set pushed under from the carpet side of the scuff plate across the drivers doorway to lift it )

See link thread linked to in post #4 for pic of corroded connector too.
Thanks.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:12 AM
Default Panic over...for now

Thanks for all your help and advice. I started the car this morning and both main beams are working again. As previously mentioned this has happened before where the faulty one suddenly works again, so I will be leaving it well alone for now. I do intend to check the CFB connection to check for water ingress in due course, but I am hopeful it is OK as I changed the washer pump before I had any issues. Of course I suppose water could have started wicking and just reached the CFB, but this is unlikely now the new pump has been fitted for 2 yrs.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:19 AM

Bearing in mind the TSB came out about three years after the facelift was launched, your cars washer pump might even be worth another look,
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...96454-1020.pdf

Old 09-13-2023, 11:50 AM

Thanks Phil. As I understood it, no X250s had the revised pump, it came in with the X260...or am I wrong? Which means the TSB was released at about the same time as the new pump was fitted as standard. I fitted the revised pump in 2020 but didn't do the other work on the TSB..

Bearing in mind the TSB came out about three years after the facelift was launched, your cars washer pump might even be worth another look,
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...96454-1020.pdf

Last edited by doublekite; 09-13-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 09-13-2023, 02:21 PM

As far as I understand it the modified pump just has a shaped piece or rubber pushed in over/around the terminals to help seal it. I wouldn't bank on it lasting longer than the old one, which given when the TSB came out obviously had some failures with within 3 years.

Old 11-01-2023, 12:58 PM
Default Further query

I still haven't got round to checking the CJB for corrosion, but have another question for the experts.

When moving the stalk down to main beam, only the offside works, the nearside remains on dipped beam.

However when pulling the stalk up to flash the headlamps I discovered that both headlamps flash their main beams.

Am I corrrect in saying this is because flashing uses a different switch or connection to the action of putting the lights onto main beam? Are the pins the same in the CJB?

Thanks.

Old 11-03-2023, 05:33 PM

The CJB feeds the flap control for each headlight separately, only one wire for each light, shared for flash, and main beam, perhaps it uses a higher voltage for flash to get the flap to move faster, and lower voltage for main beam as it's used continuously.
The lightswitch doesn't have separate outputs for left and right headlights ( for flash or main beam ), so if one light works correctly it can't be a lightswitch fault.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:20 AM

The CJB feeds the flap control for each headlight separately, only one wire for each light, shared for flash, and main beam, perhaps it uses a higher voltage for flash to get the flap to move faster, and lower voltage for main beam as it's used continuously.
The lightswitch doesn't have separate outputs for left and right headlights ( for flash or main beam ), so if one light works correctly it can't be a lightswitch fault.
Thank you.