XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need oil filter wrench

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Don't paint us all with the same brush.

Our friend from Calgary has many unusual beliefs. This is one of the more benign ones.............
My last oil change I paid for was on my '09 and I was charged CDN $150.00 by my local dealer.

I have not expressed any "beliefs" on this board as far as I know. Plenty of facts but no beliefs.

Of course, people with their own pet theories are prone to dismiss facts and evidence that do not support or even contradict their theories, this is very common. That doesn't make the theories correct.

Last edited by jagular; 07-16-2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

OK. I should have said 'misguided understandings' instead of 'unusual beliefs'.

Sorry.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

OK. I should have said 'misguided understandings' instead of 'unusual beliefs'.

Sorry.
That would be just as inaccurate. I post indisputable facts. You draw your own conclusions as you see fit. If you think the facts I post are incorrect in any way I invite you to correct same.

The conclusions I may draw from those facts may differ from yours and please feel free to persist in your misunderstanding.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Yep, it might take a couple tries since timing is important. but it's NOT the gloom and doom preached by others commenting on your thread..lol
Just a note to point out that Jaguar appears to treat resetting the service interval and recalibration of the oil level as two separate steps in the service schedule. In my service book the two steps follow one after the other.

I infer that resetting the service interval does not recalibrate the oil level.

Does anybody actually know?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by jagular

You will have trouble with your warranty if you DYI during warranty.
I post indisputable facts.
OK, sure you do.

The following users liked this post:
jagular (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:31 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Don't paint us all with the same brush.

Our friend from Calgary has many unusual beliefs. This is one of the more benign ones.............
LOL..It's all good, no harm meant..

Mikey (07-16-2015)
Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I infer that resetting the service interval does not recalibrate the oil level.

Does anybody actually know?
This is really surprising that you don't know the answer to your own question...

Unless they have a secret 007 coder ring they wear and pass it over the engine...I've watched the last two oil changes at the dealer's being performed..and they do exactly as I posted to; reset/RECALIBRATE the oil change reminder...NOTHING More(.)

But to add...If there is such a "recalibrate" procedure..I imagine it must be done via the OBDII...But WHY?..Unless something was replaced, like the oil level Sensor or some part of that ulta-sonic system..It would be stupid to do after every oil change.

Last edited by DPK; 07-16-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,274 Likes on 2,416 Posts

I think jagular is talking/asking about the oil level readout on the dash, and if/how the sensor which produces that readout needs to be reset.
I suspect no reset is required or even possible.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

The oil level sender transmits radio waves and times the receipt of the reflection from the surface of the oil then adjusts for temperature and transmits the result yo the display. The transmitter/receiver is bolted to the underside of the sump.

I merely ask why Jaguar lists two separate steps for resetting the service reminder and recalibration of the oil level sender. If only the one step does both then why list two?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPK
This is really surprising that you don't know the answer to your own question...

Unless they have a secret 007 coder ring they wear and pass it over the engine...I've watched the last two oil changes at the dealer's being performed..and they do exactly as I posted to; reset/RECALIBRATE the oil change reminder...NOTHING More(.)

But to add...If there is such a "recalibrate" procedure..I imagine it must be done via the OBDII...But WHY?..Unless something was replaced, like the oil level Sensor or some part of that ulta-sonic system..It would be stupid to do after every oil change.
Why would I ask if I knew?

The oil level transmitter/receiver is not ultrasonic, it uses radio waves. It relies on reflection which accompanies refraction of electromagnetic radiation when it passes through a boundary between transmitting media, in this case oil and air. The same phenomenon that makes diamonds sparkle. Sonar is not used.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

I stand corrected on the sensing means..Thanks, I know better than to argue, but this maybe wrong too.

Ultrasonic oil Sensors

Use ultrasonic level sensors for non-contact level sensing of highly viscous liquids, as well as bulk solids. The sensors emit high-frequency (20 to 200 kilohertz) acoustic waves that are reflected back to and detected by the emitting transducer.
Turbulence, foam, steam, chemical mists (vapors) and changes in the concentration of the process material also affect the ultrasonic sensor’s response. Turbulence and foam prevent the sound wave from being properly reflected to the sensor. Steam and chemical mists and vapors distort or absorb the sound wave. Variations in concentration cause changes in the amount of energy in the sound wave that is reflected back to the sensor. Use stilling wells and wave guides to prevent errors caused by these factors.
Proper mounting of the transducer is required to ensure best response to reflected sound. In addition, the tank should be relatively free of obstacles such as weldments, brackets or ladders to minimize false returns and the resulting erroneous response, although most modern systems have sufficiently “intelligent” echo processing to make engineering changes largely unnecessary except where an intrusion blocks the “line of sight” of the transducer to the target.
The requirement for electronic signal processing circuitry can be used to make the ultrasonic sensor an intelligent device. Ultrasonic sensors can be designed to provide point-level control, continuous monitoring or both. Due to the presence of a microprocessor and relatively low power consumption, there also is capability for serial communication to other computing devices, making this a good technique for adjusting calibration and filtering of the sensor signal, remote wireless monitoring or plant network communications.
To summarize, the ultrasonic sensor enjoys wide popularity due to the powerful mix of low price and high functionality.

Last edited by DPK; 07-17-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

There are ultrasonic sensors. I was told by my dealer's head mechanic that Jaguar uses a radio based sensor.

Radar rather than sonar.

Googling led me to this tidbit:

http://www.jaguar-world.com/features/qaas?start=5

Scroll down to the letter about the XK electronic dipstick. There's an additional step of pressing "cancel, cancel" to check the calibration, whatever that may mean. I've not seen this option displayed on my 2013 XF.

Last edited by jagular; 07-17-2015 at 04:39 PM.
DPK (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 PM
Received 6,366 Likes on 5,539 Posts

Regardless of how it works why does it need resetting?
Doesn't it know what the correct level is and if not, could you set it to think an incorrect level was in fact OK?

Old 07-17-2015, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Norri
Regardless of how it works why does it need resetting?
Doesn't it know what the correct level is and if not, could you set it to think an incorrect level was in fact OK?
Can't imagine. The service book states recalibration of the oil level as a step performed in the servicing. I'm curious to know what's involved. I'll ask my mechanic next time I see him.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

I have not expressed any "beliefs" on this board as far as I know. Plenty of facts but no beliefs.
As soon as you get into "cost effectiveness" and your charge out rate,
that becomes a matter of preference, opinion, belief whatever.

Fact, on the other hand is such things as whether a drain plug
does or does not exist, whether it is even possible to change
the oil at home on a particular vehicle and how to reset the
oil indicator.

It is alright to have opinions and beliefs.

What is not alright is to insist that others share them.

++

The following 3 users liked this post by plums:
davetibbs (07-17-2015), DPK (07-17-2015), JgaXkr (02-16-2020)
Old 07-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

Absolutely agreed. Also, you can authoritatively and rather arrogantly declare that everything you post is factual, but that doesn't necessarily make it so.

Take this gem:

All other maintenance now requires expert techniques, tools or parts.
Not only is this completely nonsense but it's patently absurd. All other maintenance? The amount of money I've saved by doing my own work on cars, from simple bulb changes all the way up to full engine changes runs into amounts I don't bear thinking about, and the idea that somehow I couldn't have done it without expert techniques or tools is frankly hilarious.

You may enjoy pulling your pants down to get reamed by your dealer's service department's hourly rate for "all other maintenance", but don't knock others for wanting to do otherwise or question their motives. Most of the time you do save money (if you're not plucking arbitrary "charge out rates" from your *** and applying them to your own personal time) and you learn a lot. I'm really struggling to see the harm in doing so, and equally struggling to see the attraction in remaining wilfully ignorant on how to fix anything by leaving everything to the dealer.

DPK (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Happy to be corrected on facts.

Done plenty of DYI myself over the years. Modern cars are very difficult to work on and you rarely save enough money to make it worthwhile.

DYI oil changes while the car is under warranty has to be right up close to the top bone headed attempt to save money. In Canada it would be plain crazy as the warranty would be void with no recourse.

Anyone who might learn something by changing the oil on his or her Jaguar doesn't know enough to do that job.

Then there's the inconvenience of disposing of the oil and filter.

Even sourcing the correct oil is a challenge. Indeed, even my dealer could not and had to use 5W 20 instead of the actual spec.

Old 07-17-2015, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
As soon as you get into "cost effectiveness" and your charge out rate,
that becomes a matter of preference, opinion, belief whatever.

Fact, on the other hand is such things as whether a drain plug
does or does not exist, whether it is even possible to change
the oil at home on a particular vehicle and how to reset the
oil indicator.

It is alright to have opinions and beliefs.

What is not alright is to insist that others share them.

++
Could actually care less if anyone even reads my posts much less "agrees" with them. If I can save one person from being misled by some of what gets posted that would be good.

Opportunity cost of DYI is often overlooked and is a fairly simple arithmetical process that is purely factual. No opinion enters into it.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

This is copied from the AJ133 5.0 - Liter DFI V8 Engine Technical Training Manual

"Oil Level / Temperature Sensor
The new ultrasonic sensor, a first for JLR, provides an
electronic indication as to when the oil in the engines
sump is low or high. This allows for the deletion of the
mechanical dipstick.
The sensor maps the fill level of the oil continually during
trips. An advantage in comparison with the static
‘dipstick’ method is that all marginal influences are compensated
for by averaging. Marginal influences include
the vehicle being on a slope, the oil flowing back at the
end of a journey, lateral and longitudinal acceleration, or
even dipstick tolerances.
The values determined can be used to signal that the
minimum oil level has been reached or to display the
current oil level if required.

The oil level sensor has the following technical properties:
• Linear measuring range
• Continuous measuring under static and dynamic
conditions
• Temperature signal and oil level signal 0.3s after
switch-on
• Measuring frequency > 10 Hz
• Customer-specific output signal
• Installs at bottom of oil sump
• Temperature measuring
The sensor is mounted to the underside of the sump, from
where it sends an ultrasonic pulse vertically upward
(engine position). It then measures the time for the pulse
to be reflected back from the top surface of the oil.
It compares this time period with a time period of a second
pulse which travels within the sensor across a reference
distance. With both time periods it can calculate the
oil height from the sensor flange, negating the noise factors
which affect the speed of the pulse through the oil".

So it's definitely ultrasonic. It looks like the dealers head mechanic might have skipped a class.

The following 2 users liked this post by TXFireblade:
DPK (07-18-2015), jagular (07-18-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 12:24 AM

DYI oil changes while the car is under warranty has to be right up close to the top bone headed attempt to save money. In Canada it would be plain crazy as the warranty would be void with no recourse.
Absolutely false.

Of course DYI (sic) might mean something different than DIY.

DPK (07-18-2015)

Quick Reply: Need oil filter wrench