XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need oil filter wrench

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
That's the law everywhere in Canada, even in Quebec I believe but I am no expert there. It is simple contract law. In the U.S. common law and the statutory rules applicable to sake of goods have been modified but not here.

Even in the U.S. I'd be surprised if a manufacturer could not deny warranty where an unskilled owner performed his own oil changes. How could you prove you'd done them correctly?
In the US, the Magnuson-Moss act Basically puts any breech of warranty proof on the product manufacturer
All the consumer need prove is the oil changes where done per manufacturers recommendations. Receipts for oil and documented oil change (I write the mileage on the oil purchase receipt) interval are all that is required for proof of compliance.
This is NOT rocket science..

Old 07-20-2015, 06:04 AM
Received 6,366 Likes on 5,539 Posts

Originally Posted by raschwar

For the benefit of anyone whose interested I did change the oil and... I didn't have to use the drain plug. A simple $6.00 vacuum pump sucked the oil out just like the dealer. Service reset and oil level verified via dashboard readout. I like this method! No dirt and no jacks. I also like the cartridge filter up high.
But what about the wrench???? We need to know after all this.

The following users liked this post:
jon-izumi (10-12-2020)
Old 07-20-2015, 06:05 AM
Received 6,366 Likes on 5,539 Posts

Can we keep the discussion to the facts please? We are all entitled to our views and opinions right or wrong and you are all free to discuss those without needing to resort to personal jibes and attacks, thanks!

Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Let us await the outcome of the inquiry. If the owner cannot reset the oil level sensor then the owner cannot complete the DIY oil change within the terms of the warranty.

I expressed no opinion about warranty claims in the U.S. I am not aware of any legal case in Canada where the onus to prove that a failure was not covered by warranty lay with the manufacturer. I am sure the onus of proof remains on the claimant in Canada.

I have no particular need to be liked, especially on the Internet. I do like to be correct.

I have learned two things from this thread that may be useful. I made no bones about conceding on both points, not that this matters either.

The oil level sensor depends on ultrasonic principles and I could see how the "zero" level might have to be calibrated or reset on each oil change but do not know that. I can also see where the oil level sensor might have to be reset if oil with a different viscosity is used, as my dealer had to when the engine was changed because the Jaguar specified oil was not obtainable.

As for the wisdom of DIY your own oil, or indeed any service work on a car covered by a warranty that seems to me self evident and, since apparently it is not, I have shared my knowledge and opinions for anyone who wishes to consider them.

I appreciate being corrected on matters of fact. I appreciate reading differing points of view and opinions. Whether anything I post is appreciated or not is of no concern to me, obviously, as I have not met nor am I likely to meet any of you. Buy you a beer if you're in town though and compare notes on Jaguar ownership or whatever you may like to be driving.

The following users liked this post:
Swimref (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I was a little concerned that my last post might raise a moderator's eyebrow. Of course, personal insults should never be part of the conversation. And I let the first one go without much fuss. I wish it would have stopped at that.

As to the wrench used: I used a traditional metal, wrap-around filter wrench as mentioned by ozXFR in an early post. Give a good, slow pull while the engine is hot, a little scary the first time.

Go to a Harbor Freight and buy a vacuum pump for under $10. It come with hoses but they're too big so reduce down with plain old plastic tubing and stick it on the little tube in the oil filler port.

Pump away until sucking air.

Refill with 5w-20 (approved, of course).

Start engine and run for a few seconds then shut off. My oil level display would not reset until I did this.

Follow posted procedures for checking oil level. If it says reading unavailable hit the cruise control cancel button twice, restart engine again, shut engine off and try again.

Follow posted procedures for resetting service interval. It's legal, it's easy, It's clean and Bob's your uncle.

The hardest part is getting the engine cover back on. It looks like the body cowl prevents the back end from lining up with the attaching posts but you'll notice a cutout on the rear of the cover. This allows you to slide the cover over/around the obstructions.

The following 3 users liked this post by raschwar:
DPK (07-20-2015), Mikey (07-20-2015), Norri (07-20-2015)
Old 07-20-2015, 05:57 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by raschwar
Go to a Harbor Freight and buy a vacuum pump for under $10. It come with hoses but they're too big so reduce down with plain old plastic tubing and stick it on the little tube in the oil filler port.

Pump away until sucking air.

Now that we are back on topic (apologies for veering off course earlier)

How and where did you discharge or collect the oil as it was being sucked out? Can you post pictures of your set up..if you don't mind

thanks

I was looking at something like this for about $100.00

Last edited by DPK; 07-20-2015 at 06:04 PM.