XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need some quick advice: Looking at 2010 XF Portfolio...

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Need some quick advice: Looking at 2010 XF Portfolio...

Hey guys...

I'm going to have to make a decision sometime in the next four days on this one (prior to Apr. 4): I've found a 2010 Portfolio in my area for about $18k. I'll be trading in my XK8 when I get this car. My XK8 isn't in the best shape, though, so I'm not sure how much I'll actually get for it.

Regardless, $18k for a car with less than 75k on the clock seems potentially promising. I took a test drive in it today and was quite impressed. The interior is just about flawless. It's a black-on-black car, a very nice looker inside. Probably the most comfortable car I've ever been in. The paint could be better. Lots of scratches in the clearcoat from what looks like parking lot battles.

The car was apparently used as a dealer loaner this whole time, which is both good (always serviced at that dealer) and bad (its drivers never had much incentive not to beat on it). I will say I've owned such a car before: a 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP that I kept 7 years and only had one non-scheduled repair, a bad alternator in year five, making it the most reliable car I ever owned.

I noticed today two things: a sticky A/F/S switch on the console (someone probably spilled Coke in/around it) and brakes that were a little grindy at very low speeds. No squeaks, just more of a grind when moving it around a parking lot. I have no idea whether that was due to the formulation of the pads themselves or if there's a problem.

Can anyone offer feedback as to exactly what issues that particular year model/trim level had? I'm running Google searches and looking back in the forum as best I can, but I have a short decision window here. I've basically got to either pick this car or order a new Mini Cooper JCW by the end of the week.

Thanks,
Jess

Old 04-01-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Don't worry about the brakes, on all three of my Jags (two XFs and one F-Type) the stock brakes are "graunchy" at very low speeds, just as you come to a stop. It's just the nature of the OEM Jag pads & rotors and the only cure I have found is ceramic brake pads.

The following users liked this post:
JessN16 (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My 2009 XF experience.

Let me start off by saying that I love my 2009 XF. I've owned nothing but used cars all of my life so I know that repairs will be needed. Mine had 59k miles on it when I got it over a year ago. I've had repairs to do on this one too but I'm not regretting getting it at all. You have to protect the leather dash from the heat of the sun. Back in 2009, 10, and 11 they just glued, and not stapled the leather down and many have bubbled up and separated. So far, so good on mine. Here is a list of things I've had to get fixed, just so you'll know.
1. Expansion tank nipped break.
Tank replaced.
2. New expansion tank cracked. Stranded. Tow truck, taxi.
3. Bottom hose popped off. Stranded. Tow truck, Uber ride. Fixed over head phantom dome light. No charge.
4. Two worn rear tires replaced.
5. Screw flung out of front tire. Tire replaced.
6. Whiney bearings. Front left wheel hub assembly replaced.
7. Cracked thermostat housing.
8. Water pump going out. #7 & #8 replaced.
9. Lower rocker arm assembly leaking. Not replaced yet.
10. occasional Battery low warning. Not replaced yet.
11. Both key FOB batteries low Warning. Not replaced yet.
12. Occasional Tire Pressure Monitoring System fault warning. Sending unit Not replaced yet.
13. One headlight bulb burnt out. Bulb replaced.
😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲
And that's just in the first year and a half of ownership! These things can happen to any used car.

JessN16 (04-01-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Drcummins
Let me start off by saying that I love my 2009 XF. I've owned nothing but used cars all of my life so I know that repairs will be needed. Mine had 59k miles on it when I got it over a year ago. I've had repairs to do on this one too but I'm not regretting getting it at all. You have to protect the leather dash from the heat of the sun. Back in 2009, 10, and 11 they just glued, and not stapled the leather down and many have bubbled up and separated. So far, so good on mine. Here is a list of things I've had to get fixed, just so you'll know.
1. Expansion tank nipped break.
Tank replaced.
2. New expansion tank cracked. Stranded. Tow truck, taxi.
3. Bottom hose popped off. Stranded. Tow truck, Uber ride. Fixed over head phantom dome light. No charge.
4. Two worn rear tires replaced.
5. Screw flung out of front tire. Tire replaced.
6. Whiney bearings. Front left wheel hub assembly replaced.
7. Cracked thermostat housing.
8. Water pump going out. #7 & #8 replaced.
9. Lower rocker arm assembly leaking. Not replaced yet.
10. occasional Battery low warning. Not replaced yet.
11. Both key FOB batteries low Warning. Not replaced yet.
12. Occasional Tire Pressure Monitoring System fault warning. Sending unit Not replaced yet.
13. One headlight bulb burnt out. Bulb replaced.
😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲😲
And that's just in the first year and a half of ownership! These things can happen to any used car.
Thanks.

Direct sun is going to be a big problem. I live in south Alabama and this car will be my daily driver, and I must park outside in full sun every day. We got fewer than 10 days last year where the temps got under 32 degrees F. It hit the 90-degree mark in late March. Any tips to avoid trouble here besides a big sunshield?

This car has recently had the water pump replaced, so I'm hoping I don't have that problem in front of me. I've decided if I can't get an aftermarket warranty, I might not take a chance here.

Jess

Old 04-01-2017, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 2,380 Posts

Originally Posted by JessN16
Thanks.

Direct sun is going to be a big problem. I live in south Alabama and this car will be my daily driver, and I must park outside in full sun every day. We got fewer than 10 days last year where the temps got under 32 degrees F. It hit the 90-degree mark in late March. Any tips to avoid trouble here besides a big sunshield?

This car has recently had the water pump replaced, so I'm hoping I don't have that problem in front of me. I've decided if I can't get an aftermarket warranty, I might not take a chance here.

Jess
Don't just get a sunshield, get the custom XF one, much better fit than any generic sunshield (and looks good too!)
Also get a dashmat, plenty of good molded ones custom fit for the LHD XF.
Lastly, treat the top door panels, rear headrests and rear seat tops to a regular coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant.
If you don't fit a dashmat then also put 303 on the dash.

See here for the sun shade: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jaguar-winds...ZUHHrs&vxp=mtr

And here for the dashmat: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cover-Craft-...ZWzKOM&vxp=mtr
(that's a black one, but Cover Craft make them for the XF in a wide range of colours)

Last edited by OzXFR; 04-01-2017 at 11:44 PM.
JessN16 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 11:32 PM

No other tips from me besides that I keep the leather wiped down with McGuire leather wipes and I use Aerospace 303 to keep all the black plastic and foam door seals clean and black as new. The sun roof will creak when the rubber seals get dirty but after I wipe them clean with the 303, they're quiet for another 2 or 3 months.

JessN16 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Have the dealer replace the sticky button as part of the deal. it will only get worse. I had sticky buttons replaced under warranty. Good luck, it sounds like a great car for you at a good price.

JessN16 (04-02-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 06:05 PM

Continuing to look through service records, etc., one thing comes up: For those of you who responded to the Takata airbag service recall, does the recall ever "go away" when you look up your VIN? I look up the VIN on this car and it still shows the recall as being active, but I can't tell whether that means active *for this car* or whether it's just generally active because the recall is still ongoing and expanding. The recall notice for this car originally went out May 26, 2016, with the caveat that there were not enough "parts to repair your car at this time" or something similar.

Jess

Old 04-02-2017, 07:56 PM

I received the notice a couple of months back and just this week the second letter telling me the parts are in. Now I'm going to make the appointment with Park Place Jaguar of Plano to get the airbag and my rocker suspension arm replaced since I was going to get that done anyway. They usually give me a newer XF loaner car to drive while they have mine so I don't mind the wait.

JessN16 (04-02-2017)