XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Need suggestion reg maitanence service (Jaguar xf)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Need suggestion reg maitanence service (Jaguar xf)

Hello guys,

Recently I got Jaguar XF 2012. one week back warranty expired and today morning I have taken new warranty for nxt 3 years / 100k miles.
as last 4 days popping warning message as service maintenance request. I dropped the car at jaguar service center.
to my surprise they are charging $850 for service maintenance.
my question is, is this amount everyone paying for SM? kindly guide me / provide me the details if you have any info which will help me.

Thanks in advance

best regards
VBP

Old 08-31-2015, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Need suggestion reg maitanence service (Jaguar xf)

What are they saying needs to be done?

The following users liked this post:
bhojav (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:33 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Usually that mean your car is due for an oil and filter change plus a multipoint inspection..along with perhaps a Cabin pollen filter, brake fluid change and other fluids if it has the miles...I agree with Kyanite..you need a list of items/procedures performed.

bhojav (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:37 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Giving a car to a dealer just saying 'service it' is like signing a blank cheque. $850 is about average if they do everything.

bhojav (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 02:18 PM

Thanks for the responses....
Mikey as you said they are charging $850. please let me know how to deal with this.. Thanks in advance

Old 08-31-2015, 02:33 PM

It might be too late for this visit if you've agreed for them to proceed. Next time ask them what they intend to do vs. 'needs' to be done for warranty purposes. To reduce costs, elect to do some of the work yourself using aftermarket parts.

I remember reading a post about a guy being charged around $200 to change the filters that go into the seats.......

bhojav (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 03:15 PM

Thank you mikey for your quick response... if possible please let me the contact details of the guy who charge $200 to the change of filters

Old 08-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts
Default Need suggestion reg maitanence service (Jaguar xf)

Why don't you post the invoice or call them and get the breakdown and post that?

bhojav (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 04:10 PM

Here I am attaching the copy of the service receipt (Invoice)
contains 4hrs labour - $548.00 and parts 364 and they provided 140+ discount and total bill come 878.08.
when will I have to go for next service? Thank you

Old 08-31-2015, 04:15 PM

Here I am attaching the copy of the service receipt (Invoice)
contains 4hrs labour - $548.00 and parts 364 and they provided 140+ discount and total bill come 878.08.
when will I have to go for next service? Thank you

Old 08-31-2015, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I would say they jumped you pretty hard on the wiper blades, and I don't know what the extra filter does, but that looks like normal kind of rates. And, you got a discount!

You MIGHT have saved a few hundred dollars doing the work yourself, but it would have required a few hours, some dirty hands, and maybe some new tools. On the other hand, there is a certain pride of doing your own work.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:51 PM

They've charged you for several different additives (the four line items above wipers) which are NOT part of the Jaguar maintenance schedule. Besides being unnecessary and a waste of money, Jag specifically mentions in the owners manual to NOT use any additive.

Pretty expensive oil and filter change!

Old 08-31-2015, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

They gave you 3 BG (Barry Grant) cleaners. These are 100% not needed at all. Now they won't hurt anything but many garages push this BG product line of magic elixirs!

As was said above unless you give them exact instructions it's kind of hard to argue that they did anything not needed.

Can you do the service yourself?? I mean the wiper blades were over $30 each!

Jssaab (02-15-2020)
Old 08-31-2015, 05:59 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Air filters, wiper blades could have been gotten cheaper and installed yourself no problem..

I do agree putting in additives should have been your call first..But I have to disagree with tbird (no offense). But since these are direct injection engines, the BG cleaners and treatment are a must, especially with miles creeping up on the engine...He used the throttle body cleaner, which is a good measure and he used a fuel guard and the 44K fuel conditioner..44K is something to use every 5000 miles as a general preventive fuel system cleaner...It's like a shot of penicillin for the engine and helps to prevent and clean carbon build up in the intake valve area and injectors clean..so IMO and from my Jag tech's opinion, along with several other engine experts I know..that was money well spent and Jaguar endorses it too...however again, you could have done it yourself at a lot less for per item cost as well.

The Oil Additive I don't know about..I would like to hear what that benefit is.

But the tech in this case should have checked with you first, but he was doing a good job in getting the engine right for another year of trouble free operation.

Last edited by DPK; 08-31-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:18 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Air filters, wiper blades could have been gotten cheaper and installed yourself no problem..

I do agree putting in additives should have been your call first..But I have to disagree with tbird (no offense). But since these are direct injection engines, the BG cleaners and treatment are a must, especially with miles creeping up on the engine...He used the throttle body cleaner, which is a good measure and he used a fuel guard and the 44K fuel conditioner..44K is something to use every 5000 miles as a general preventive fuel system cleaner...It's like a shot of penicillin for the engine and helps to prevent and clean carbon build up in the intake valve area and injectors clean..so IMO and from my Jag tech's opinion, along with several other engine experts I know..that was money well spent and Jaguar endorses it too...however again, you could have done it yourself at a lot less for per item cost as well.

The Oil Additive I don't know about..I would like to hear what that benefit is.

But the tech in this case should have checked with you first, but he was doing a good job in getting the engine right for another year of trouble free operation.
How does the 44k additive clean the valves when the valves are never in contact with the fuel?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:08 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

I'm not sure, but it's all part of the combustion process..

Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
I'm not sure, but it's all part of the combustion process..
In short it doesn't the fuel NEVER sees the valves on a DI engine. Any additive you put in your fuel tank to clean the valves is complete BS.

From the research I have done the only sure fire way to clean valves on a DI engine is to either try an additive through the intake like the BG system and some are beginning to believe that is bunk or take the intake apart and clean the valves manually.

This is a well documented issue on VW and Audi engines and unless Jag figured something out it will end up biting us as well due to how the DI engine fuel delivery system works regardless of who made the engine.

The only way to know for sure besides reduced performance is to scope the cylinders and look at the valves.

This is a pretty good read on the problem and potential solutions

Intake Valve Deposits in Gasoline Direct Injection Engines

Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by boiler
In short it doesn't the fuel NEVER sees the valves on a DI engine. Any additive you put in your fuel tank to clean the valves is complete BS.
+1.

Back the OP's questions-

I think you can see the effect of letting the dealer do what they want to the car. There is no requirement to have any servicing done by the dealer. It will not affect the warranty.

Find a reputable Independent mechanic or do the work yourself. The XF guys can advise what the Jag schedule requires and when.

One point that's not been discussed is the $548 labour charge. The dealer did an oil and filter change, air filter, cabin air filter, wipers and dumped some additives in the oil and gas. I see maybe one hour labour all told. Most dealers are in the $110-$150 per hour labour rate so how did yours come up with $548?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:03 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
If you already knew, or think you know..why did you even ask me the question?
I've talked to several that seen inside of broken engine for other reasons, that ran on a regular dose of BG-44K of the DI design and said the intake valves where much more cleaner than engines of the same design that hadn't used it..

I don't care myself what you think...I believe it works (however it works) and if nothing else, it's cheap insurance from getting a head job sooner rather than later...

http://injectorcleanerboss.com/bg-44...leaner-9-6-oz/

http://wearebg.com/gasoline-direct-injection/

Not looking for a debate, but if you are a certified master mechanic (I doubt) and or are a Jaguar engine engineer (which I also doubt) you go ahead and rant and rave about all your research you've done on google on the subject.

Last edited by DPK; 08-31-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

YOU GOT RAPED!.. $550 for a filter and oil change? When YOU could have.

Downloaded the XF MAINT CHECK LIST.pdf Free.
Paid $13 for the full XF Service manual from JagDocs.com To see how to do everything your self, including the service interval reminder reset.
bought the parts and additives yourself and did the job in 2hrs.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 08-31-2015 at 10:16 PM.
bydand (09-01-2015)

Quick Reply: Need suggestion reg maitanence service (Jaguar xf)