XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New to Forum - Looking for help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum - Looking for help

Hi, everyone! I've been lurking on this forum for a bit, looking at some interesting threads (including all the posts about the infamous dashboard problem). I've had a 2010 XF for almost 3 years now. Great car but it is certainly giving me a bit more trouble than my previous car for 9 years (2005 Acura TSX).

I'm posting for a few reasons. #1, I was hoping any of you could point me towards a good way to find a reputable mechanic in the Dallas, TX area.

I need my brakes done (front and back) and it's about $2,400 at the dealer. Even places like "Just Brakes" are close to $2,000. I've discovered a website called YourMechanic.com that sends a qualified mechanic to you, complete with tons of reviews to do whatever you need and it's only $182 for the labor and another ~$600 for all of the parts. 12,000 mile / 12 month warranty. Seems worth a shot, but anyone else tried this service?

Regardless, I still want to find a good mechanic in my area. My car has started with the dashboard warp, although it's very minor. I also have a problem where my sunroof isn't flush to the roof. It's not leaking, but it of course annoys me on such a beautiful car. Similarly, that chrome piece in the bumper just under the headlights is misaligned. The dealership wants about a grand for EACH of those two problems.

Thanks for all the info. I did see someone posted how to remove the front bumper, so MAYBE I can fix that part myself but I'm not very handy with most of this stuff.

Bonus question: I can supply my own parts if I use the yourmechanic website. Suggestions on brake kits? I love the drilled look. I've got the 5.0 engine but not the Supercharged.

Thanks everyone. Seems like a great forum filled with good info.

Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 126 Likes on 116 Posts

My thread from a few years ago. for my old 2010 Premium V8 (non-supercharged).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-5-0-a-140891/

Brakes (in black).
Full Kit Black Hart Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Disc and Ceramic Pads XF XJ XK | eBay

You can get the same thing in either gold or silver also.

The following users liked this post:
Zereaux (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 02:28 PM

If your sunroof is not sitting flush to the roof, you will need to remove the headliner (not a fun job) and re-tighten all the nuts that hold it up to the roof skin.

Fairly common for them to work their way loose.

Just a time consuming job. And use a green or blue Loctite (not red) to keep it from happening again.

Zereaux (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by 10 XF Premium
My thread from a few years ago. for my old 2010 Premium V8 (non-supercharged).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-5-0-a-140891/

Brakes (in black).
Full Kit Black Hart Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors Disc and Ceramic Pads XF XJ XK | eBay

You can get the same thing in either gold or silver also.
Thanks for the input. I was looking at another set that appear very similar. Now that it's been a year, would you buy these again? Your other thread you said they could be better... I suppose I also need to get brake sensors but then I'd have everything I need. Not a bad price at all!

Old 10-18-2016, 03:16 PM

If your sunroof is not sitting flush to the roof, you will need to remove the headliner (not a fun job) and re-tighten all the nuts that hold it up to the roof skin.

Just a time consuming job. And use a green or blue Loctite (not red) to keep it from happening again.
First, I need to google "headliner" but I'll do that. You say it's not a fun job, but is it doable for someone with no real technical skills?

What's funny is that, while I was cleaning the contact for the interrior dome bulbs that would come on/off without being touched, a large bolt literally fell out of the dome and into my lap. The dealer said that's a sunroof bolt! What the hell!?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:14 PM

Yes, I would buy them again if I needed to. The slots give you a very slight pedal vibration and a very faint clicking noise (very slight and very faint), but you get that with any slotted/drill discs.

They perform great.

And yes, the bolt was one of the ones that hold the sun roof cartridge onto the roof skin.

The headliner is just bulky and gets finger prints easy. Hard part is once loose, getting it out of the car so you can work on the sunroof, then putting it back in.

Zereaux (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 05:27 PM

Ordered the black rotor kit you mentioned. I'm going to try this website mechanic deal and hope it all goes well! Seems like I've had to replace the rotors now both times I've needed new brake pads. Is this an upsell technique by Jaguar or actually required on this car?

I'll google the headliner removal, and I'm going to watch the bumper removal video. I'm a total rookie at this stuff but I'll report back if I can get anything fixed on my own.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:57 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Zereaux
First, I need to google "headliner" but I'll do that. You say it's not a fun job, but is it doable for someone with no real technical skills?

What's funny is that, while I was cleaning the contact for the interrior dome bulbs that would come on/off without being touched, a large bolt literally fell out of the dome and into my lap. The dealer said that's a sunroof bolt! What the hell!?
MY OPINION....if you have to google headliner...that repair job is not for you

Old 10-19-2016, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Injekter
MY OPINION....if you have to google headliner...that repair job is not for you
Can't fault your reasoning. To be fair I assumed it was the fabric/inner roof. Just had to verify. I haven't been able to find a guide on this particular model, and it seems like the hardest part is getting it OUT of the car without damage, but I wonder if I'd need to get it out of the car to get the bolts repaired on the sunroof...

Old 10-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Can't fault your reasoning. To be fair I assumed it was the fabric/inner roof. Just had to verify. I haven't been able to find a guide on this particular model, and it seems like the hardest part is getting it OUT of the car without damage, but I wonder if I'd need to get it out of the car to get the bolts repaired on the sunroof...
idk...ive never done it,,, but with some good you tube at my side i do tend to tackle quite a few things..... patience , and being slow and methodical would pay off

Old 10-19-2016, 06:47 PM

If you are flexible and have a good back, you can probably just recline the front seats back and let the headliner lay on top of the seats.

Then work outside the car leaning over the headliner without crushing it.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts

See this other thread and the link I provided, apparently there is no need to remove the headliner: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...hoenix-170621/

Old 10-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Oz, his sunroof is falling in, not just rattling.

He needs to tighten and in some cases reinstall the bolts that hold the whole assembly to the roof.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:21 PM

Oz, his sunroof is falling in, not just rattling.

He needs to tighten and in some cases reinstall the bolts that hold the whole assembly to the roof.
Correct. I still haven't been able to find a guide on how to remove the headliner on this particular vehicle. If anyone knows of one, please share! I'd love to tackle it this weekend as the Texas weather just turned cool!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 363 Likes on 273 Posts

Actually aligning the sunroof is done by opening the roof panel blind, releasing the bellows covers on each side, loosening the 4 torx screws the hold the sunroof in, make you alignment to the sunroof, tighten the torx screws, replace the bellows covers. According to the service manual and the shop that aligned mine, the headliner does NOT need to come down.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 AM

Well, I had a productive Saturday, and mostly success!

I took the front bumper off - didn't need anything but a socket wrench and a flathead screwdriver. It took me about an hour and a half (I could do it again in about 25 minutes now) and a second set of hands to get it back on, but I managed to re-position that chrome piece and save myself $1,000.

I also took the headliner down....mostly. This was harder for sure, but again I didn't need any special tools or knowledge. Just had to be deliberate and careful not to bend anything too much. I had to remove the vanity mirrors, the front interior dome lights panel, the "oh-****" handles front and back, the side pillar that divides the front and back seats, and the diagonal pillar that runs along the dashboard toward the doors. That was enough to pull down gently on the headliner and get to where I needed... Turns out all FOUR of the bolts had come completely loose and were just hanging out between the roof and the headliner. I got some blue Loctite and SO FAR, so good. The sunroof has never been this flush since I've owned the car, and there's a significant reduction in wind/road noise when driving with the sunshade retracted. Saved another $1,000 over the dealership. I had a little touble getting the seatbelts retracting the first time I finished putting it back together, but with some adjustments I got that figured out pretty quickly.

The mechanic is coming on Thursday to put in the new brakes and rotors, and I'm still considering painting the calipers but I'm going to ask the mechanic a few things before I decide if I'm going to tackle that.

Reading that I didn't need to take the headliner down.....I'm not sure how that works because you couldn't get to the places where the bolts belong without moving that headliner, but who knows. Certainly sounds easier but I don't know how it would work. Also I wouldn't have located the three other bolts without doing what I did.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 AM

Well, I had a productive Saturday, and mostly success!

I took the front bumper off - didn't need anything but a socket wrench and a flathead screwdriver. It took me about an hour and a half (I could do it again in about 25 minutes now) and a second set of hands to get it back on, but I managed to re-position that chrome piece and save myself $1,000.

I also took the headliner down....mostly. This was harder for sure, but again I didn't need any special tools or knowledge. Just had to be deliberate and careful not to bend anything too much. I had to remove the vanity mirrors, the front interior dome lights panel, the "oh-****" handles front and back, the side pillar that divides the front and back seats, and the diagonal pillar that runs along the dashboard toward the doors. That was enough to pull down gently on the headliner and get to where I needed... Turns out all FOUR of the bolts had come completely loose and were just hanging out between the roof and the headliner. I got some blue Loctite and SO FAR, so good. The sunroof has never been this flush since I've owned the car, and there's a significant reduction in wind/road noise when driving with the sunshade retracted. Saved another $1,000 over the dealership. I had a little touble getting the seatbelts retracting the first time I finished putting it back together, but with some adjustments I got that figured out pretty quickly.

The mechanic is coming on Thursday to put in the new brakes and rotors, and I'm still considering painting the calipers but I'm going to ask the mechanic a few things before I decide if I'm going to tackle that.

Reading that I didn't need to take the headliner down.....I'm not sure how that works because you couldn't get to the places where the bolts belong without moving that headliner, but who knows. Certainly sounds easier but I don't know how it would work. Also I wouldn't have located the three other bolts without doing what I did.

IF YOU did all of that,,, do the pad and rotors your self...that job is easier than any that you have tackled so far.....good job

Old 10-24-2016, 11:02 AM

Very cool.

Good job.

Old 10-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 439 Likes on 388 Posts

Nice work on the projects! Re brakes I'd definitely paint them. Personal taste but I like the look. See below

Decal was only a few dollars too.

Attached Thumbnails New to Forum - Looking for help-photo706.jpg  
Old 10-24-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Injekter
IF YOU did all of that,,, do the pad and rotors your self...that job is easier than any that you have tackled so far.....good job
My thoughts exactly. Save your money and do the brakes yourself. Nice work repairing the other items!

Quick Reply: New to Forum - Looking for help