XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New (to me) XF 3.0 SC - Coolant Leak Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New (to me) XF 3.0 SC - Coolant Leak Help

Hey everyone,

I just bought a 2014 XF with 55k miles on it Monday. Love the car, but unfortunately found out it's leaking coolant when I got home. I thought I could smell it at the dealer but couldn't find the leak for the life of me, so figured it was my imagination. Sadly not the case - I noticed steam coming out from under the hood when I got home last night.

Anyways, I've traced it down some and am looking for a little help diagnosing. I've researched what I could on the forum and it sounds like the water pumps as well as coolant line(s) under the supercharger are common failures. I have coolant running down the front of the engine under the water pump, and also can see it pooling under the supercharger. It's not a super fast leak - I am just below the fill range on coolant and probably have driven it 300 miles since buying. I also have a little on the bottom of the intake tube as it comes into the throttle body/SC which I found interesting. Possible it got slung there during my spirited testing out the new car though .

I attached a few pictures - some are a little blurry since they're a picture of my inspection camera screen.

Questions:
  • Does a water pump failure cause coolant to pool under the SC, or does that likely indicate a line under the SC going bad?
  • If just the water pump, do you have to remove the SC to replace? It doesn't look like an awful job but I couldn't find a write-up on this engine
  • How difficult is it to remove the SC and do the lines under there yourself? Anyone done it, and approximate time? I'm a moderately proficient back-yard mechanic
  • Is there a good resource to get a service manual pdf for this car? I'm guessing it'll come in handy over time

P.S. Looks like an awesome forum you have! I'm coming off an Oldsmobile Aurora which had a solid community, so I'm excited to find one for Jags as well!

Thanks,
Austin

Attached Thumbnails New (to me) XF 3.0 SC - Coolant Leak Help-waterpumpfront.jpg   New (to me) XF 3.0 SC - Coolant Leak Help-bottomofintake.jpg   New (to me) XF 3.0 SC - Coolant Leak Help-coolantundersc.jpg  
Old 11-16-2017, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

That's 100% the coolant pump leaking. Especially in the space behind the pump in your last photo. Classic sign.

You don't need to remove the Supercharger to replace the pump, but it can be a bit tricky and fiddly to get the bolts back in without the space above. Definitely possible though.

Removal of the supercharger is significantly harder, primarily because the supercharger is heavy, is attached to the inlet manifolds which can't be separated from it until the whole assembly is removed, and has interference-fit locator pegs that get very stiff. On my 5.0 I ended up having to drill holes in some lengths of box section, put threaded bar into the supercharger with some nuts either side of the box section and roping in a gym buddy to help me rock it off the engine! I suspect others have had it easier but it was a bit of a mare for me.

If you did end up taking the supercharger off it'd probably be worth replacing the coolant pipe that runs underneath it for peace of mind if nothing else.

I also absolutely recommend replacing the black coolant pipe that goes between the oil cooler and the rear of the coolant pump - it's the black plastic thing in your last photo - as well as the O-ring which should be included. There's 2 O rings, one that goes between the coolant pump and the black tube, and one that goes between the black tube and the pipe from the oil cooler. Make sure this pipe is straight and the plastic isn't fouling on the lip of the engine block.

Last edited by davetibbs; 11-16-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 441 Likes on 389 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

I hadn’t realized the coolant pump on the V6 was also prone to leaking. I thought it was only a V8 issue.
At least a (relatively) simple fix. But if you just bought it, won’t the dealer fix it for you??

Old 11-16-2017, 08:44 PM

I'm going to try to at least get them to split it. I got an estimate from a shop today for ~$800. It was bought as-is since it's just out of warranty, so we'll see if the dealer is willing to be reasonable or not. Hopefully so, but you never know with car dealerships.

If I were to do it myself, I know they've been through a few revisions on the water pump - is there a good thread with part numbers of what I would need? Or otherwise a resource you recommend to find them? I always used rockauto for my domestic car, but their offerings are pretty spotty for Jaguars.

Thanks,
Austin

Old 11-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Given the similarities between the 5.0 and 3.0 engine I'm willing to bet it uses the same water pump with the same inherent design flaws. It's also worth pointing out that sites like parts.com list exactly the same part number (C2Z31587) for the 3.0 as the 5.0, so based on this, I'd say it's safe to say that both engines share the same water pump and therefore the same problems.

However, parts sites on the internet are not great for keeping the latest up-to-date part numbers, so I'd recommend checking with the dealer what the part number is, ask for a price, and then jump online to see what you can get it for, and seeing if the dealer will match this. My local dealer has always been pretty happy to give me the part number so I can do this. The only thing I'd caution is that some unscrupulous sellers e.g. on eBay might be selling the older design of pump and just listing the latest part number, so if you do go to eBay, go for an auction that has photos of the item so you can check it's the latest design.

The ever-useful Bigg Will has posted photos of the latest design of coolant pump in this thread and there's also useful tips and photos covering installing it in this thread.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 PM

I called a few Jag dealerships - here's what I came up with:My plan is to order these - from what I can tell that seems to be a good place to buy parts online as well.

Questions:
  • Does everyone use Jag coolant? They seem super proud of it based on the price. Since I'm not flushing and refilling though, I probably will use this over mixing something else in
  • Are both O rings included for the oil cooler tube? I may buy a spare just in case, although it sounds like they're included from reading the parts descriptions
  • "Vacuum filling" coolant - is this important, or can I just add coolant in when I'm done and allow it to bleed the air out like I would normally do?
  • Draining coolant - pull the drain plug in the radiator, or something else? What's my best way to drain it down below the pump?
  • Any other tips and tricks I should know? Doesn't look like an awful job

Thanks,
Austin

Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

That water pump is available from Jaguar Land Rover Reno Parts for $158.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:23 PM

Really - do they ship parts too? I'd just submitted my order on the other site since it was over $300 at all the dealers around here. Apparently they won't ship the coolant though, so not sure how I'll solve that one yet besides buying it from a dealer. Has anyone gotten jag coolant online cheaper/used an alternate?

Old 11-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Laugen
I'm going to try to at least get them to split it. I got an estimate from a shop today for ~$800. It was bought as-is since it's just out of warranty, so we'll see if the dealer is willing to be reasonable or not. Hopefully so, but you never know with car dealerships.

If I were to do it myself, I know they've been through a few revisions on the water pump - is there a good thread with part numbers of what I would need? Or otherwise a resource you recommend to find them? I always used rockauto for my domestic car, but their offerings are pretty spotty for Jaguars.

Thanks,
Austin
Jeez, I got the water pump and 2 or 3 o-rings replaces for $500. And to add to that my shop couldn't find where the leak was coming from, so he took a couple of days to take a lot of stuff apart and see. I have a 09 XF SC, just saying $800 sounds a bit too much, including the fact that you know almost 100% where and what the leak is. Just saying.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

The coolant spec is listed in your owners manual. I use Prestone Extended Life which meets the spec for my 2012 XF Supercharged.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged Jag
Jeez, I got the water pump and 2 or 3 o-rings replaces for $500. And to add to that my shop couldn't find where the leak was coming from, so he took a couple of days to take a lot of stuff apart and see. I have a 09 XF SC, just saying $800 sounds a bit too much, including the fact that you know almost 100% where and what the leak is. Just saying.
If the leak is in the crossover coolant pipe sitting under the supercharger, $800 is a steal. That job involves removal of the intake , throttle body, water pump, induction manifold, and supercharger. Labor alone would be about $1200. They would probably replace many of the hoses while in there, along with the water pump, and seals for the intake plenum and the throttle body seal (once it is removed it has a nipple that expands and wont let it seat into place again). It is a major job so if the O.P. can get the service department to split the cost of an $800 quote, I would jump on that in a heart beat.

If I may ask....have you tried testing your coolant reservoir cap?

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 11-18-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:17 AM

Well, sad day. I replaced the water pump and all went smoothly, but it still is leaking and pooling under the supercharger. Something else in there must be leaking unfortunately. I don't really want to pay a ton to get my new car fixed, but I'm pretty low on time right now so it's going to go into the shop and we'll see what happens. Pulling the supercharger sounds like a significant time commitment.

The water pump wasn't too bad of a job. I only pulled the serpentine tensioner and left the supercharger one on to do it, and it fit in and out just fine. I have a little inspection camera I snagged at harbor freight a while back, so that was great for getting the tube behind it lined up and seated. I put a pressure test system on it afterwards and could hear it leaking out under the supercharger somewhere. It's hard to tell where from, but based on where coolant first started showing up (I cleaned it up good while the water pump was off) it's not the new water pump.

Some day I'll actually get to drive this car

Old 11-25-2017, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like your crossover pipe. Sorry. If you lived near me I would help you get it done because it really isn;t that hard of a job to do, but it is intimidating to say the least.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
Sounds like your crossover pipe. Sorry. If you lived near me I would help you get it done because it really isn;t that hard of a job to do, but it is intimidating to say the least.
That's my guess as well at this point. Now that the gravel shield is off I also can see some coolant coming down the back. There's no way to get to that short rubber portion that normally fails with the water pump off and change it is there (if this is a similar failure to another post I read)? I haven't been able to find a diagram of where that hose attaches - I'm still pretty new to Jag and trying to find a good shop manual resource. Also, how heavy is the supercharger and difficult to get it to pop loose? I could do it over my Christmas break from work and school, but that also leaves me not being able to use the car for a month.

Old 11-25-2017, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member

I can't speak for everyone, but my supercharger was a bitch to get loose. I ended up having to get some threaded bar into the threaded holes on top of the supercharger and some box section to create large handles that me and a gym buddy could use to rock it off. The supercharger has interference-fit pegs underneath which were tight.

Definitely possible to get off but I don't know if I could've done mine single-handedly.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin Laugen
That's my guess as well at this point. Now that the gravel shield is off I also can see some coolant coming down the back. There's no way to get to that short rubber portion that normally fails with the water pump off and change it is there (if this is a similar failure to another post I read)? I haven't been able to find a diagram of where that hose attaches - I'm still pretty new to Jag and trying to find a good shop manual resource. Also, how heavy is the supercharger and difficult to get it to pop loose? I could do it over my Christmas break from work and school, but that also leaves me not being able to use the car for a month.
If the SC has never been off it can be a pain because they tend to freeze in place, you just have to make sure all its bolts are out and start prying and pulling. Once it's loose you can tip it up and disconnect the connectors in the rear. The v6 is merely a v8 with 2 cylinders off the front. My bet is the rear coolant crossover is leaking, pressure testing might be a great help here, but a leak ANYWHERE under the SC will eventually run down the back of the engine.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 11-25-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

If you decide to do the job, BiggWill has a excellent "how to" posted in the forums. I followed the steps from that and yes...I got stuck when it came time to remove the supercharger. I used a lever and fulcrum method...that got it started, then I rocked it back and forth from the left and right sides and it eventually wiggled loose. After that, the crossover pipes are a breeze.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Thread hijack, sorry
I just ordered the pump and hoses for the slowly leaking pump in my XK. Are you a mechanic? I'm in Plano. I was going to try tackle it myself, or bring the parts to an indy. Any recommendations?

Old 12-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Veteran Member

lol...not a professional mechanic, sorry, I was just offering my help since the OP seemed a little hesitant. EuroSport or AutoScope on Coit near the G.B. tollway are good options now that the old dealership moved to Grapevine. The Land Rover dealership that took over Jaguar service in the area is a total joke. they have no interest in having anything to do with Jaguar and you cantell by the shitty attitude they present. I was there to check them out and left feeling like I was intruding on them. I drive to Grapevine, since I have a relationship with the those guys already. Besides, the new service area / showroom are sweet.

The following users liked this post:
shemp (12-04-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

lol...not a professional mechanic, sorry, I was just offering my help since the OP seemed a little hesitant. EuroSport or AutoScope on Coit near the G.B. tollway are good options now that the old dealership moved to Grapevine. The Land Rover dealership that took over Jaguar service in the area is a total joke. they have no interest in having anything to do with Jaguar and you cantell by the shitty attitude they present. I was there to check them out and left feeling like I was intruding on them. I drive to Grapevine, since I have a relationship with the those guys already. Besides, the new service area / showroom are sweet.
Really. The one in Frisco? Too bad.
There's also Autobahn right here in Plano but I have no knowledge of any of them yet. Thanks for the input!