XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New member _ new jag

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New member _ new jag

Hey Everyone - I'm about to buy my FIRST USED Jaguar.
I'm super excited, except my mechanic is telling me to pass unless it's a 2017 or later.

Car Stats
2014 - XF AWD SuperCharged, 30,000 miles.

So what has been your experience-- since I'm sure most people here own a JAG would you buy another....

currently driving a BMW - looked at Mercedes and Audi -- but they are mundane... love how my BMW drives, but it's not comfortable to ride in...

I'll look forward to your thoughts.

Susan aka Tnkrrbl

Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

if you don't like jag/audi/mb/bmw "tax" then there's always the toyota camry or honda accord.. lol
a 2014 with 30k miles is almost new - shouldn't be too much issue..

Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 AM
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts

Your mechanic is ignorant and out of date. Any Jaguar built since 2000 is at least equal in reliability to BMW and Mercedes. Only Lexus would be better. Yes, I would absolutely buy another, but used next time so I didn't have to eat so much depreciation.

Old 04-25-2018, 07:53 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

>2014 - XF AWD SuperCharged, 30,000 miles.

CPO? Mine was a '15 with 17K miles two years left no the original warranty.
Beautiful, classy, much-much nicer inside than a current XF.

You can't go wrong, unless you're jonesing for a V8...
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons
Current: '15 XF (X250) Portfolio AWD 3.0 (it's aubergine)
Past B: '08 S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)
Past A: '05 X-Type 3.0/auto Jaguar Racing Green

Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Used Jaguars are definitely the way to go as you can get nice car which everyone is envious of for a great value. Many are cared for very well. I'd say reliability got much better from 2007. I should know as I had a 2002 S-Type as well. Things which break are always the plastic stuff and they are irritating, but many of those things were used in other cars as well (Window actuators in Fords), Transmissions got much better with the ZF-Transmissions. The electronics were horrible in the pre 2003's. I bought a used 2012 Portfolio with the V8 and have had very few issues. I can't say I'm a fan of the newer interiors especially the 2017 and 2018's as they cheapened everything down, but the all aluminium body was a good upgrade on the 2016's and on to lighten the car up a slight bit and to make it more nimble. The ride is good and sporty and not harsh. It doesn't feel too light like a japanese tin can and harsh like a BMW. The 3.0 SC is a great engine and fast and reliable. I chose the V8 as I've always liked the smoothness, power and roar of the V-8. Of course the V-6 S/C has a more aggressive exhaust as well. Congrats on your buy!

Old 04-25-2018, 09:23 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by juibean
..... I'm super excited, except my mechanic is telling me to pass unless it's a 2017 or later. .....
Welcome to the forum Susan,

Get a new mechanic. That's an uninformed comment from your present one.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 04-25-2018, 01:17 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Welcome. I have a 2013 5.0 SC and I would absolutely buy another. Only problem ive had was a lugnut that broke and had to replace the stud and lugnut. Love the ride, love the power and it looks classy without being in your face like BMW and MB are.
When I went to a Toyota TVO meeting last week, everyone saw my car and when I walked in they said "looks like we know who makes all the money around here" but what they dont know is my car cost less then a new Camry

Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by juibean
love how my BMW drives, but it's not comfortable to ride in...
Reading this I'm going to suggest that you arrange an "extended" test drive before you decide and don't jump in head first. The XF is a "sport sedan" aimed straight at BMW's market share so if you don't like the BMW ride, the XF may not be that much better. I loved my older Jaguar so much that I went to extreme lengths to stay with the brand, but I've modified custom suspension, springs, dampers and changed the wheels and tires only to get back maybe 50% of the "magic carpet ride" that Jaguars of the past era were known for. You probably are looking for an off-the-shelf solution.

At a minimum, drive some other XFs at the different trim levels. The base model comes with 18 inch wheels and a slightly taller profile tire, but the seats do not have lumbar support. The Portfolio comes with 19 inch wheels and very low profile tires, but it does have lumbar support. The v8 supercharged and R models come with 20 inch conestoga wagon wheels, rubber bands for tires, but features deeply bolstered and very supportive sport seats. The sport seats were available as a separate option, but may be hard to find outside those trim levels. But you don't want to decide that you've made the wrong choice after only a few months or your first long-distance road trip.

Last edited by pdupler; 04-25-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:52 AM
Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Reading this I'm going to suggest that you arrange an "extended" test drive before you decide and don't jump in head first. The XF is a "sport sedan" aimed straight at BMW's market share so if you don't like the BMW ride, the XF may not be that much better. I loved my older Jaguar so much that I went to extreme lengths to stay with the brand, but I've modified custom suspension, springs, dampers and changed the wheels and tires only to get back maybe 50% of the "magic carpet ride" that Jaguars of the past era were known for. You probably are looking for an off-the-shelf solution.

At a minimum, drive some other XFs at the different trim levels. The base model comes with 18 inch wheels and a slightly taller profile tire, but the seats do not have lumbar support. The Portfolio comes with 19 inch wheels and very low profile tires, but it does have lumbar support. The v8 supercharged and R models come with 20 inch conestoga wagon wheels, rubber bands for tires, but features deeply bolstered and very supportive sport seats. The sport seats were available as a separate option, but may be hard to find outside those trim levels. But you don't want to decide that you've made the wrong choice after only a few months or your first long-distance road trip.
This is really good advice. When I was in the market a couple of years ago I drove an E-Class, 5-series, and XF all in the same day. The XF was exciting and lively which made me only look at Jaguar after that. However, if I did it again I would go with something pure luxury rather than the most sporty feeling of the luxury sport sedans. The seat bottom is not comfortable for more than an hour for me and the ride is not comfortable for long trips either. I'm currently pondering selling it while still under extended CPO warranty and moving to something more comfortable and keeping the sporty feeling days for my Vette and sportbike. Lesson learned, spend more than 15 min in a vehicle before purchasing, even if it feels like love at first sight.