XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New owner/member: XF Prem 2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner/member: XF Prem 2011

Just wanted to say hi and I'll be frequenting the forums here just as I did the bimmerfest forums.

I traded in my 07 750i today for a Lunar Gray 2011 XF premium. Car has 11K miles on it and was a loaner car for the dealership. That's kind of scary since I know how I drive loaners/rentals

Not even sure how well I did price-wise. I paid $44700 but it is not a Select Edition car. It does have remainder of the 5/50 full warranty/sched maintenance/wear and tear pkg though. How does this sound?

Initial thoughts are the engine can really growl more than my BMW. Haven't had chance to really test out the handling yet. I will miss the sumptuous interior of the BMW. Felt like a 5 star hotel.

There is a button with checkered flag on it and sales rep said it changes suspension/tranny shift and throttle response. Is that correct?

Thanks - PJ

Old 09-01-2011, 01:42 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
Just wanted to say hi and I'll be frequenting the forums here just as I did the bimmerfest forums.

I traded in my 07 750i today for a Lunar Gray 2011 XF premium. Car has 11K miles on it and was a loaner car for the dealership. That's kind of scary since I know how I drive loaners/rentals

Not even sure how well I did price-wise. I paid $44700 but it is not a Select Edition car. It does have remainder of the 5/50 full warranty/sched maintenance/wear and tear pkg though. How does this sound?

Initial thoughts are the engine can really growl more than my BMW. Haven't had chance to really test out the handling yet. I will miss the sumptuous interior of the BMW. Felt like a 5 star hotel.

There is a button with checkered flag on it and sales rep said it changes suspension/tranny shift and throttle response. Is that correct?

Thanks - PJ
Another BMW convert! I went from an M5 to an XFR. In some ways I miss my M5, but mostly because I liked the manual transmission. In other ways the XFR's performance is as good or better, and it's more comfortable.

The checkered flag button engages Dynamic Mode. Yes, it tightens the suspension. I'm not sure it does anything to the throttle response but if it does, I don't think I notice it much. The next step up in performance is engaging the transmission in Sport mode and using Dynamic Mode.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Congrats, actually BMW 7 is a higher class than XF . BMW styling is not my cup of tea but I like their comfort level and engines

Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Interesting choice of a replacement for a BMW 7 series. Thought the equivalent would be a XJ. The XF is usually considered to be comparable to the BMW 5 series. However great choice and you should love the car.

The checkered flag should change throttle response and shift points. Does not change suspension settings on the Premium, I believe.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Interesting choice of a replacement for a BMW 7 series. Thought the equivalent would be a XJ. The XF is usually considered to be comparable to the BMW 5 series. However great choice and you should love the car.

The checkered flag should change throttle response and shift points. Does not change suspension settings on the Premium, I believe.
Yes, I realized the 7 was not enough of a drivers car for me and the new 5 is priced too high. The XF fits the bill and even though I am more into handling than HP I'm getting spoiled by the V8 power.

I think that checkered flag button is only for the stability control. Another piece of misinformation form my salesperson. He also told me the ASL button was for adaptive cruise control and I was impressed. That is an optional item and I'm sure my car doesn't have it.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Spd
Another BMW convert! I went from an M5 to an XFR. In some ways I miss my M5, but mostly because I liked the manual transmission. In other ways the XFR's performance is as good or better, and it's more comfortable.

The checkered flag button engages Dynamic Mode. Yes, it tightens the suspension. I'm not sure it does anything to the throttle response but if it does, I don't think I notice it much. The next step up in performance is engaging the transmission in Sport mode and using Dynamic Mode.
On your XFR that button prob does change suspension. Not on mine. Only affects stability control.

Your XFR must be a beast. Isaw one sitting in BMW preowned lot the other day and was clearly the best looking car there. Have you written up a review on it for the forum so we can vicariously enjoy the XFR experience?

Old 09-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
Yes, I realized the 7 was not enough of a drivers car for me and the new 5 is priced too high. The XF fits the bill and even though I am more into handling than HP I'm getting spoiled by the V8 power.

I think that checkered flag button is only for the stability control. Another piece of misinformation form my salesperson. He also told me the ASL button was for adaptive cruise control and I was impressed. That is an optional item and I'm sure my car doesn't have it.
Jaguar are not very clear (read, they obsfuscate the function) on the function of the checkered flag button, but I think you are correct. I think transmission sport mode (S position on the shifter) changes shift points (it also allows you to stay in manual shift mode without going back to auto mode automatically after a time delay when the checkered flag button is pressed as well, as happens in normal D mode, assuming they have not changed the software to disable the paddles in D mode) and the checkered flag seems to change throttle calibration and supposedly the point at which stability control intervenes. On the XFR the checkered flag is also supposed to change suspension settings as well. However I could be wrong. I can verify the shift point changes in S mode but in checkered flag mode I have not driven the car aggressively enough to hit the point where stability control intervenes. It does seem to change throttle tip in.

I do not think the checkered flag disables stability control completely. I seem to remember that one of the US car mags complained that they could not disable the DSC for traction testing. However they discovered later that you could disable DSC by holding down the DSC button for some period of time (I think it was 10 seconds).

Last edited by whitbyxf; 09-03-2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Wrote Checkered flag instead of DSC
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 PM

sounds correct. i think i saw in manual that holding DSC down for 10 secs will disable it.
Manual is very obscure on what the checkered flag button really does. I also haven't truly tried pushing car with and without it. But def plan to do so

So far acceleration has been exciting enough in just S mode. You guys with SC and XFRs must always have smile on face after a firm peadl push.

Originally Posted by whitbyxf
Jaguar are not very clear (read, they obsfuscate the function) on the function of the checkered flag button, but I think you are correct. I think transmission sport mode (S position on the shifter) changes shift points (it also allows you to stay in manual shift mode without going back to auto mode automatically after a time delay when the checkered flag button is pressed as well, as happens in normal D mode, assuming they have not changed the software to disable the paddles in D mode) and the checkered flag seems to change throttle calibration and supposedly the point at which stability control intervenes. On the XFR the checkered flag is also supposed to change suspension settings as well. However I could be wrong. I can verify the shift point changes in S mode but in checkered flag mode I have not driven the car aggressively enough to hit the point where stability control intervenes. It does seem to change throttle tip in.

I do not think the checkered flag disables stability control completely. I seem to remember that one of the US car mags complained that they could not disable the DSC for traction testing. However they discovered later that you could disable DSC by holding down the DSC button for some period of time (I think it was 10 seconds).