XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New owner, needs help and advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2021, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, needs help and advice!!!

So I purchased a beautiful caviar 15 XF 3.0 Portfolio with 36000 on the clock a month ago. I drove it almost 300 miles back home flawlessly..fast forward a few days, I'm out for a "Sunday drive" before work... And BOOM I'm overheating in stop and go traffic. I don't drive much, maybe 8000 miles a year, so I couldn't recreate the conditions to see what's really going on. My check engine light use not on, but I pulled these codes a few days ago..I don't know exactly where to start to tackle these problems. I also need some advice for a good service manual. I am mechanically inclined, I went to school for auto tech, I bought this car to become better at it seeing as this might be my forever car, help a brother out

please any advice is appreciated.

Old 05-13-2021, 06:19 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Looks like your supercharger coolant pump, radiator fan and temperature sensor 2 are not working properly, its defo going to make it overheat - do not drive this until you've fixed it otherwise you could easily overheat it to the point it causes irreparable damage to your engine, especially if you live somewhere warm and just air moving over the radiator can't cool it fast enough just by convection. It says circuit open so it could be as simple as a bad connection to both the coolant pump and fan. But the short to ground could also mean the fan control logic has died. There's also an issue with the temperature sensor (circuit low), that could also simply be disconnected but it may have failed.

I'd check the connection to the fan, sensor and pump, make sure they are good and not corroded - you'll need to look up in the workshop manual where these are for your car, I don't have the details to hand for that engine. Check for power to the coolant pump pins, the fan is more problematic as I think it uses a PWM signal to control the speed and harder to measure effectively without a scope, tho you might be able to fudge it by using a multimeter set to VAC and you should get something that is not 0V (but not representative of the actual V).