XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New Speakers (non B&W 2009 XF)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speakers (non B&W 2009 XF)

Does anyone have any experience with swapping out the OEM speakers. I just got an '09 XF in perfect condition however the speakers just sound kind of awful and muddy to me, I was hoping to swap them for some JBL or Pioneer units i however cant seem to find the specs on the speaker sizes from around the cabin. Also does the amplifier need to be replaced on the base model speakers? it didn't on either of the cars i have done it before, but i know many cars have proprietary amplifiers.

I am comfortable swapping out the speakers myself as i have done in my '04 Phaeton as well as my now deceased '98 740li. But even on the ultra low run Phaeton i had no issue finding speaker size specs.

Any information would be welcomed, and if you have any recommendations on specific speakers for the XF feel free to share your set-up

Old 04-18-2015, 08:19 AM

so what I've been able to find has confused me even more. So my understanding is that there are two sound systems. The base 9 speaker system, with two speakers in each door and one in the dash. The other the 14 speaker B&W system with three speakers in each of the front doors, two in each rear door, a dash speaker, two rear deck speakers, and a sub under the spare wheel.

My car is not B&W branded, it however is not the base 9 speaker system either. I have three speakers in each of the front doors, two in each of the rear, a dash speaker, and a sub. so similar set-up to the B&W but without the rear deck speakers.

Is it possible that this is a B&W system that was de-badged for some reason? If not it still seems like a decent speaker set-up, so maybe I just have a bad amp that's making the sound muddy and not resolving the mid's and high's like it should.

Any information would be helpful! I know that id this is the B&W that it must be the AMP which I would imaging would be very difficult to replace with off the shelf components. but if this is some other system it should be much easier to replace either/both the AMP and speakers.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 04-21-2015, 01:58 PM
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Hey,

I have a 09' XF Supercharged with the B&W system, but on the front doors there are only 2 speakers in each.
The smaller speaker on the door has the B&W logo on it.

Wish I could be of some help.

Good luck on the upgrade and post up some pics if ya can.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:41 PM
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Aren't the B&W door speaker cones yellow? I'm not where my car is but IIRC my car has yellow speaker with B&W logos on the grilles.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:45 AM

The cones of the large speakers in the door are yellow. i believe the tweeters are in the B&W system as well.

Also unless I'm missing something, i do not believe that there are speakers in the aluminum trim in the base system, only the cut out and grill for one. If there is supposed to be i am not getting any audio from it on either door. same goes for the speaker on the dash, in the base system i do not believe there is actually a speaker in that area. so i think the base system is 9 speakers, two on either front door, the upper black grilled speaker next to the mirror and the large driver on the side of the door. in the back the speaker in the aluminum trim and the large driver in the side of the door, and in the trunk the subwoofer.

Hope this helps, if your worried someone changed out the speaker grills on the side to make it look like the B&W system just put on some music and check to see if sound is coming out of the speaker grills integrated the the trim that have the logo on it... if you arent hearing anything there is either a problem or someone swapped the door panel or speaker grill