XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New V6 SC engine performance

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts
Default New V6 SC engine performance

So, couldn't help noticing that the V8 SC , XFR and XFR S. engines all produce peak torque in a flat "curve" from 2,500 to 5,500 rpm with the SC version actually peaking as low as 2,000 rpm. Even the petrol turbo four cylinder, which Europe doesn't get, peaks from 2,000-4,000 rpm. Whereas the new V6 torque peaks fom 3,500 to 5,000 rpm, using exactly the same block, crank and head design and with smaller combustion chambers than the V8, almost 10% smaller bore (which should increase the bmep at which detonation commences thus permitting higher boost and therefore higher torque at lower rpm, and indeed the compression ratio is an astonishing 10.5:1 a full point higher than the V8). Journalists are reporting that the V6 SC seemed low on torque at low rpm (I failed to notice this on either of my test drives!).

I did the arithmetic and the displacement specific torque for the V6 is much higher than for even the XFR S V8: 111 lb ft per litre compared to a maximum of "only" 100 lb ft per litre for the V8 which makes the V6 ten percent more efficient, consistent with the smaller combustion chambers. However, since the V8 has been progressively tuned twice for higher torque, could there be similar headroom in the V6? Food for thought.

Or is there more to come from the V8 and has the V6 been released at the maximum level achievable?

Note also that the V8 SC to be installed in the F Type falls short of the peak power delivered by the same engine in the XFR.

Also, the supposedly different tunes of V6 coming in the new F Type have peak power numbers 11% apart but peak torque numbers only 2% apart. You'd be crazy to pay any extra for this kind of difference. Exhaust maybe? Or just software cheating? Since torque determines the need for an LSD it's a bit cheeky of Jaguar to offer the LSD only on the S and not the base F Type, arguably just as "essential" for both engines. Is that the main difference in lowering acceleration times, the S is 6% quicker from only 2% extra torque, really?? If so, Quaife where is your F Type Torsen diff?

What's going on here?

Old 03-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didn't look into the v6 super charged but is it the same ?
The v8 is belt driven which is why solid tq curve at low rpm.
The v6 may have that supercharger that acts more like a turbocharger

Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

V6 uses exactly the same supercharger setup as the V8. Probably a smaller supercharger and smaller intercoolers but the same setup.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Kyu
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jagular
V6 uses exactly the same supercharger setup as the V8. Probably a smaller supercharger and smaller intercoolers but the same setup.
maybe, that and a smaller pulley with a less aggressive ecu tune, like the XF V8 Supercharged vs XFR

but still doesn't make sense about the torque curve line starting so late in the rpm range.
Which is why I thought it was using a turbo method like supercharger, forgot the name of those Blow supercharger ? instead of the V8's and XFR havnt belt driven.
I havn't taken much look into the new V6 models as I was slightly disappointed with them. other than for the AWD system which I am sad my model doesn't have. Wonder why the V8 SC didnt get one.

Keep us posted please, I'm curious now lol

Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

The turbine type superchargers are called Vortech. Basically one half of a turbocharger. Same limitations at low rpm as a turbocharger. Same advantages at higher rpm except for parasitic drag due to pulley drive rather than exhaust pressure drive.

The specific torque developed by the new V6 supercharged exceeds that of the XFR S!