XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New Vendor Introduction - VelocityAP Performance Exhaust Systems & ECU Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 01:10 PM
Sponsor
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts
Default New Vendor Introduction - VelocityAP Performance Exhaust Systems & ECU Tuning

Hi Everyone,

We are brand new to the Jaguar forums, but very well known over on this site's sister board 6speedonline. If anyone wants to check us out or our reputation, Aston Martin - 6speedonline.com Forums is where we are well known for taking care of our customers and going the extra mile!

Velocity Automotive Performance was founded in 2007 and is based in Dorset, UK. We are a manufacturer of performance exhaust systems, catalysts & headers, as well as a provider of ECU Tuning products.

For the XF 4.2 we offer a 2-stage System with separate rear boxes & center section:
Jaguar XF 4.2 & 4.2SC X-Pipe Center Section Exhaust Stainless
Jaguar XF 4.2 & 4.2SC 'Sports' Sound Level Rear Exhaust System

For the XF 5.0 & XF-R we offer performance rear boxes:
Jaguar XF-R 'Supersports' Sound Level Exhaust System

We also offer an ECU Tune + Supercharger Pulley performance package for the 5.0L SC engines. The ECU Tuning is delivered via an OBD cable + Android smartphone or tablet app. Rather than shipping equipment or ECUs back and forth, we deliver the cable to you along with the pulley. You read the file off the ECU using the cable + app, and it sends a copy of the original file to our ECU Tuning team. Each file is custom-written to each your specifications and then will be available for download and installation to the vehicle using the same App. Every file we write is covered by £2,000,000 GBP of public liability insurance for your peace of mind!
Jaguar/Land Rover ECU Tuning Supercharger Pulley Power

As new vendor we have an introductory offer to Jaguarforums members - Order our ECU Tune & Pulley and receive 20% off on any exhaust system, for a limited time only!

Please don't be shy if you have any questions, we like to talk cars and we want to hear from you

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 05-15-2014, 05:52 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool! Anything for the 3.0 SC yet?

Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM
Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

Count me in for FULL exhaust system, headers, cat elimintation, and full system and tune.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Very nice products. Out of curiosity, do you have any numbers for the ECU tune and exhaust on an n/a 4.2?

Old 05-15-2014, 08:56 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

That is a way more fair and realistic price for a pulley / tune combo than most of what other companies out there are offering for Jags. If I decide to tune this car you can take my money. Along with everyone else I would obviously also be interested in seeing dyno charts, etc. first.

The following users liked this post:
Stuart@VelocityAP (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:44 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by TMack
Cool! Anything for the 3.0 SC yet?
Not so far, but I'm interested to explore this one. It is the same block as the 5L, but with the back two cylinders blanked off. I think the charger is probably smaller displacement as well, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some transfer-able knowledge & experience there that would streamline the process with the 3.0 SC. I haven't tuned one yet but the protocols are most likely similar to the 5.0L

www.velocityap.com

TMack (06-06-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by *Phoenix*
Very nice products. Out of curiosity, do you have any numbers for the ECU tune and exhaust on an n/a 4.2?
Thank-you!

You know, we have done some pulleys and files for the 4.2 but I haven't had a customer run a dyno yet. On the one hand, dyno results can vary quite a bit, and having them done at arms length where we can't see what is going on is always strange. But on the other hand, I've always felt that the more results are out there, the more you can see where the median is and which ones are outliers. For example, I have lots of customers who have done dynos on V8 Vantage Sports cats, and a range of results from 12BHP to 20 BHP, but 15-16 BHP seems to be a consistent, middle of the road result so that's what I would tell customers to expect.

Hopefully we can start to build a library of dyno results for Jag applications that will give a similar ability to remove outliers and peg some repeatable numbers.

Since I know that having some results are important, we're actually offering a rebate at the moment - if you buy a pulley & tune + exhaust system, you get 10% off on the exhaust. If you do before and after dyno results with a reputable shop/well calibrated dyno, we will offer an additional 10% rebate on the price of the exhaust!

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
JimC64 (05-16-2014), Panthro (02-08-2016)
Old 05-16-2014, 12:55 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
That is a way more fair and realistic price for a pulley / tune combo than most of what other companies out there are offering for Jags. If I decide to tune this car you can take my money. Along with everyone else I would obviously also be interested in seeing dyno charts, etc. first.
Thanks for the kind words. We have priced the combo pretty aggressively, we'll have to see if it is something that can be maintained, but with the Android delivery system it does eliminate a fair bit of the cost.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-16-2014, 04:06 AM
Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The link in your sig doesn't work. It is a combination of 2 addresses.

Old 05-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
[the 3.0l V6] is the same block as the 5L, but with the back two cylinders blanked off.
I doubt that very much, have you got any hard data to back this claim up?

EDIT

Never mind, I found out for myself.

The AJ126 V6 block is externally the same dimensions as the AJ133 V8 block, however the casting internally is different.

There are no "blanked off cylinders" it is cast with six cylinder bores. But yes the V6 is physically the same size as the V8.

Jaguar's 3 series fighter to get the F-Type's V6?

Right, done a bit of digging, and it's true the V6 block is the same length as the V8, but it is a different block casting, with only 6 cylinder bores and a smaller bore size than the V8, so it's NOT the V8 block without 2 pistons and rods.

It's still an odd thing to do though, but it means engine bay system installations for both V6 and V8 can be similar according to someone that works at JLR, and the casting costs can be reduced in the engine plant.

Last edited by Cambo; 05-16-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by glenonoka
The link in your sig doesn't work. It is a combination of 2 addresses.
Strange, I copied & pasted it and it didn't pull the hyperlink correctly. Should be fixed now though. Thanks for the heads up

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd also be interested for a 3.0...

Old 05-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Stuart, does your pulley differ from any of the other pulleys on the market? Many of us already have a pulley, but have held off on a tune due to mediocre results, fact-less claims, or the exorbitant cost. Do you sell the tune without the pulley? You had also mentioned that the tune is custom written to the customer's specification- can you tell me about that process?

Thanks for any info!

Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Rakka
Stuart, does your pulley differ from any of the other pulleys on the market? Many of us already have a pulley, but have held off on a tune due to mediocre results, fact-less claims, or the exorbitant cost. Do you sell the tune without the pulley? You had also mentioned that the tune is custom written to the customer's specification- can you tell me about that process?

Thanks for any info!
I can't really comment in actuality on a comparison to other pulleys on the market as I haven't seen them and don't know the materials or specs on them. In practice, on the 5.0L for example, I would expect them to be broadly similar, meaning that there's a safe limit for material thickness etc, that you can go to in downsizing the pulley. Once you've reached that the next step is a crank pulley which is a whole other kettle of fish because of the harmonic balancing and so on.

I'm curious how the car performs with a pulley but no tune? I would presume that it builds boost more quickly but doesn't it bleed off any excess boost beyond a certain point? If the ECU is set to limit boost at a certain level, and the pulley produces more I would think it would be a waste unless the ECU was programmed to accept higher boost levels.

The other thing I would be concerned about is knock. Again, I'm not sure here (just for reference, I am not an engineer, I'm not the brains behind the operation here at all) but typically when pressure charging an increase in boost needs to be coupled with a retardation of the ignition timing, particularly around peak torque RPM to prevent detonation. Due to not being the aforementioned Egghead, I don't know what the knock strategy looks like on the Jag computer but I would guess that it is using the borderline knock table to adjust your timing to compensate for the extra boost. Which would work to a fashion, but it would create a push/pull situation with the ECU where it is set to command a particular degree of timing advance, starts to detect knock and then backs it off.

Most of that is just conjecture, I could be talking out of my you-know-what but I would think that having the ECU set up correctly for a pulley would be beneficial for a number of reasons.

I hear you on 'claims'. It is difficult without the resources of an OEM to do the levels of testing necessary to get SUPER accurate data. I mentioned in another post that my customers have reported a range of results for the same modification on a V8 Vantage. I guess the tendency is to pick the highest result and claim that this is the absolute result, but the best way IMHO is that the more results there are out there, from different cars on different dynos in different conditons, the more you can see which results are the outliers and where the median is.

The tuning process is quite simple. The tools we use are designed to pull a copy of the file that is stored on your car's computer. So our starting point is your exact file, with all the correct VIN, Chassis, Software numbers etc. Once that file is sent to our ECU Tuning team, they custom-write each file based on the instructions they get. In practice, most of it is the same (Please give me maximum performance) but they will take into account what modifications the car has or is getting installed. For example, from our experience with Astons, a car with headers & high flow cats needs a slightly different fuel trim than a bone stock one. Some of our Aston customers request things like 'switching off' the rear O2 sensors when they fit de-cat pipes, or changing the RPM at which the exhaust valves open & close. Or we have done Valet Maps before, where there's a 3500RPM limit imposed. Stuff like that.

To do just a tune would be $845 + shipping of the cable. We might need to do a little bit of digging just to confirm the specs on the pulley you have are the same or similar to what we have worked with ourselves but it should be do-able.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Cambo351
I doubt that very much, have you got any hard data to back this claim up?

EDIT

Never mind, I found out for myself.

The AJ126 V6 block is externally the same dimensions as the AJ133 V8 block, however the casting internally is different.

There are no "blanked off cylinders" it is cast with six cylinder bores. But yes the V6 is physically the same size as the V8.

Jaguar's 3 series fighter to get the F-Type's V6?
Hi Cambo,

As I said in the other thread, I didn't mean literally blanked off as in with a plate bolted on top, hence the parentheses. I should have thought of a more descriptive and less lazy way of putting it.

www.velocityap.com

Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

Very impressed and look forward to seeing the results. Great idea offering the customer the ability to OBD flash the car themselves. Will you be offering the ability to flash back to stock for visits to the dealer? I.e., customer pays for shipping for the cable or buy your own cable to do so as often as you like?

Also, I love the exhaust tips. They look to offer the perfect compromise between the plain stock ones and some of the other aftermarket solutions that are just massive. They are just enough to be an improvement without being over the top.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by caviarjag
Very impressed and look forward to seeing the results. Great idea offering the customer the ability to OBD flash the car themselves. Will you be offering the ability to flash back to stock for visits to the dealer? I.e., customer pays for shipping for the cable or buy your own cable to do so as often as you like?

Also, I love the exhaust tips. They look to offer the perfect compromise between the plain stock ones and some of the other aftermarket solutions that are just massive. They are just enough to be an improvement without being over the top.
The price includes the cable, so once you have completed the tuning process you can switch back & forth between the modified & original files at your own convenience. And you also don't have to email the file, the app automatically uploads it and sends us a copy, and vice versa with the tuned file.

I like the exhaust tips too. Monstrous tips just don't fit on a Jag, sometimes less is more, but a little up-size does fill the cut-outs nicely!

www.velocityap.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
JimC64 (05-16-2014), WRXtranceformed (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow, just the ability to flash back to stock yourself is a huge benefit over other providers that I have seen. This is fairly common with the more "tuned" brands (Subarus, Mitsus, Ford, etc.) so I am glad to see you all taking that approach.

Dang, my list of reasons for not getting a tune is shrinking drastically....

Old 05-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

Some of the STR guys would be rather keen on this! Not available?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:19 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by WRXtranceformed
Wow, just the ability to flash back to stock yourself is a huge benefit over other providers that I have seen. This is fairly common with the more "tuned" brands (Subarus, Mitsus, Ford, etc.) so I am glad to see you all taking that approach.

Dang, my list of reasons for not getting a tune is shrinking drastically....
Not only that, but for some people to be able to have race fuel maps, valet maps etc. is also a benefit.

www.velocityap.com

Quick Reply: New Vendor Introduction - VelocityAP Performance Exhaust Systems & ECU Tuning