XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New wheels finally installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New wheels finally installed

Took four months and lots of patience to get the wheels in. Finally they are here though, I think they were worth the wait. I had to roll the fenders to get them to fit in and new this ahead of time. Even so after first drive they rubbed fairly bad, since then all is fixed. Have to decide if I want to buy flares or stretch the exiting flares on the car. The reason being for me to have to pull the fenders is I went with a taller tire. I did this for several reasons, mainly being traction.

Wheels are Zito ZF05 in Bronze Burst

Front: 20x9 with 275/40/20

Rear 20x11 with 305/35/20

The following 3 users liked this post by HoustonSalsaR:
Jssaab (08-20-2019), mrNewt (08-21-2019), Panthro (08-28-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

oh wow. that's a big no from me. sorry.

The following users liked this post:
Wm. Lyon (12-20-2023)
Old 08-19-2019, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Congratulations for you, as your opinion is a no from me.

Thank you for the input however, guess we must be glad it is my car and not yours!

The following 2 users liked this post by HoustonSalsaR:
davetibbs (08-26-2019), Jssaab (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 08:25 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow! She's looking pretty serious. I've never run the Cooper...how is the tire? Are you happy with them? They look great!

Old 08-19-2019, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by allenman85
Wow! She's looking pretty serious. I've never run the Cooper...how is the tire? Are you happy with them? They look great!
As of so far they have been fantastic, I truly need more time with them to give you an honest opinion of them though. The traction with these is absolutely phenomenal though. Coming from the 285/30/20 Michelin tires I had it is absolutely night and day, however that may also be due to the larger diameter.

Jssaab (08-20-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonSalsaR

Thank you for the input however, guess we must be glad it is my car and not yours!
Why did you post it up if you didn't want reactions? Sorry you had to wait 4 months for that.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Big NO for rim/tyre ratio look (those rims looks good with 30-35 ratio tyres
Big NO for overall look those wheels to this partical car (for ford mustang shelby it swould be perfect)
Big YES for runing larger ratio tyres(overal diameter) and wider tyres. I went myself for 2 size up ratio on overall diameter with 22inch rims.

Old 08-20-2019, 12:44 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

What brand are they? I know to get anything interesting you need to go custom since there are not may direct fit for these odd-call cars that no one customizes.

Please don;t feed the troll. Just don;t respond like the rest of us or join the make fun X thread ... in PMs. Tons of laughs there.

I am sure You are young and like a more modern look so opinions for us old and crotchety guys should be counted with a grain (or boulder ) of salt. These cars are so dang cheap because they are absolute cr@p that 16 yo can buy one and customize it on a starbucks salary and keep it running if you are a bit handy. I am also sure date more 20 yo girls who get wet riding in your car than say hello to any of us in a month so forgive us older crowd that did not have such an awesome car in their younger years.

Why did you post it up if you didn't want reactions? Sorry you had to wait 4 months for that.
He's not sorry I am sure. No one likes you or your opinions anyway way since they are never constructive, just abusive opinions, but carry on, its your way, we get it and tolerate it for the fun comments about you on PMs. Also very odd that you are like that, guys who have (puke) yellow cars are supposed to be friendly and cheerful, exceptions to every rule I suppose.

Originally Posted by elviukai
Big NO for overall look those wheels to this partical car (for ford mustang shelby it swould be perfect)
Big YES for runing larger ratio tyres(overal diameter) and wider tyres. I went myself for 2 size up ratio on overall diameter with 22inch rims.
There's some constructive criticisms, maybe teach Lotus how to do it ...

I will add mine.

As of so far they have been fantastic, I truly need more time with them to give you an honest opinion of them though. The traction with these is absolutely phenomenal though. Coming from the 285/30/20 Michelin tires I had it is absolutely night and day, however that may also be due to the larger diameter.
I don't like the idea you had to roll the fenders or are contemplating a wide stance with skirts, not in keeping with the lines of the car. You figure Ian McCallum would have designed it that way if he thought it would add a nice look. I agree the stance of the wider rears needs to be a bit more pronounced than the stock ( it is so hidden on the inside that what's the point except dynamics) but not beyond the fenders like yours are now ( wouldn't pass PA inspections either) Just lined up with the edge would be perfect. I might try a set of spacers to do the that on mine when I get the stock staggered set up.

I like that the higher sidewalls fill the wheel wells, I think the stock sizes get lost in there and look tiny even with 20" rims. You mentions tha tit all seems to mesh but Did you notice any negative changes in driving dynamics that you can feel at all (tighter/looser in corners, body roll)? How about Speedometer accuracy?

I love the dark copper just maybe not on a car your color, seems to get lost instead of a pop I'd like to see helping me focus on the wheels.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:56 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

You probably have tons of traction now, would love to see the quarter mile times you can put down with this setup.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Congrats on the wheel and tire combo, I think the wheels look great. The tires look a bit odd, because I think you have a bigger sidewall than typically setup on the XFR, but like others have mentioned this should help with traction, and I believe opens you up to other tire options. This is for both the front and rear tires. Do you get any rubbing with this configuration? Did you have to role the fenders (front or rear)? Are you getting and Traction Control error messages due to the change in overall diameter (or circumference), especially with your front tire setup?

Old 08-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by elviukai
I didn't want to go with larger wheels as they weigh more than the tire would and I am very performance oriented with my vehicles. Perhaps even to my downfall with them.

Originally Posted by Jssaab
What brand are they? I know to get anything interesting you need to go custom since there are not may direct fit for these odd-call cars that no one customizes.

Please don;t feed the troll. Just don;t respond like the rest of us or join the make fun X thread ... in PMs. Tons of laughs there.

I am sure You are young and like a more modern look so opinions for us old and crotchety guys should be counted with a grain (or boulder ) of salt. These cars are so dang cheap because they are absolute cr@p that 16 yo can buy one and customize it on a starbucks salary and keep it running if you are a bit handy. I am also sure date more 20 yo girls who get wet riding in your car than say hello to any of us in a month so forgive us older crowd that did not have such an awesome car in their younger years.

He's not sorry I am sure. No one likes you or your opinions anyway way since they are never constructive, just abusive opinions, but carry on, its your way, we get it and tolerate it for the fun comments about you on PMs. Also very odd that you are like that, guys who have (puke) yellow cars are supposed to be friendly and cheerful, exceptions to every rule I suppose.

There's some constructive criticisms, maybe teach Lotus how to do it ...

I will add mine.

I don't like the idea you had to roll the fenders or are contemplating a wide stance with skirts, not in keeping with the lines of the car. You figure Ian McCallum would have designed it that way if he thought it would add a nice look. I agree the stance of the wider rears needs to be a bit more pronounced than the stock ( it is so hidden on the inside that what's the point except dynamics) but not beyond the fenders like yours are now ( wouldn't pass PA inspections either) Just lined up with the edge would be perfect. I might try a set of spacers to do the that on mine when I get the stock staggered set up.

I like that the higher sidewalls fill the wheel wells, I think the stock sizes get lost in there and look tiny even with 20" rims. You mentions tha tit all seems to mesh but Did you notice any negative changes in driving dynamics that you can feel at all (tighter/looser in corners, body roll)? How about Speedometer accuracy?

I love the dark copper just maybe not on a car your color, seems to get lost instead of a pop I'd like to see helping me focus on the wheels.
The brand is Zito and they are decent for the price, I personally will never go with the brand again simply for my wait time for then to arrive.

I had another wheel that I had wanted, but was not willing to dish out the $6,000 on wheels alone for the vehicle. Looking back I should of gone with a different wheel altogether however I fell in love with the color.

As for driving the ride is much more comfortable since the tires are not rubber bands anymore. There is slightly more body roll, but a negligible amount. The added traction from the wider wheels all around actually has improved my entry and exit speeds as I can just push the car that much harder. The speedometer is still accurate as far as I can tell it matches all the speed traps that I pass and matches what Google maps says that I am doing. However theoretically it should read -5.87% slower than what I am actually doing.

I had to roll the fenders slightly as the max offset they offered was +45 ET and I wanted it in +51 ET so not too much rolling was needed for incorrect offset. The biggest reason being is I went with a 305/35/20 wheel which is 1.6-1.7" taller.

Originally Posted by Jaaaggg
You probably have tons of traction now, would love to see the quarter mile times you can put down with this setup.
I will be going hopefully mid September and am very interested to see what I run.

I have:
Smaller upper pulley
Larger lower pulley
Full exhaust headers to mufflers
Methanol Injection
Larger coolant pump
Custom tune

Originally Posted by H.Jones
Congrats on the wheel and tire combo, I think the wheels look great. The tires look a bit odd, because I think you have a bigger sidewall than typically setup on the XFR, but like others have mentioned this should help with traction, and I believe opens you up to other tire options. This is for both the front and rear tires. Do you get any rubbing with this configuration? Did you have to role the fenders (front or rear)? Are you getting and Traction Control error messages due to the change in overall diameter (or circumference), especially with your front tire setup?
I did have to roll the rear fenders slightly as the wheels didn't quite have the right offset I wanted. Only offered in +45 and I wanted a +51. However the biggest reason is the tires are 1.6-1.7" taller than previously and that is the real reason I had to roll the rear fenders only.

The fronts only have very minor rub during hard acceleration and at max lock of the steering wheel.

I could run a smaller tire go back to the stock 30 aspect ratio and would not have rubbing.

I was very careful about my tire size and choice as to increase the revs per mile the same amount front and rear so I do not get any traction control lights or warnings that ever pop up. Basically the % increase in revs per mile was close enough that it did not trip any faults.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

i'm leaning towards a like here - the rear 3/4 view looks great, as it does on all our cars i suppose - but your tire is so meaty! looks aggressive. I'd say you were pretty courageous in the utter size of the rubber. i had to roll fender just to make a 295/30 not rub in rear.. you must be traveling at 3 MPH higher than speedo indicates?

Old 08-29-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Adam J
i'm leaning towards a like here - the rear 3/4 view looks great, as it does on all our cars i suppose - but your tire is so meaty! looks aggressive. I'd say you were pretty courageous in the utter size of the rubber. i had to roll fender just to make a 295/30 not rub in rear.. you must be traveling at 3 MPH higher than speedo indicates?
Ah yes I was a bit worried about it, but knew I could make it fit. The added traction is aided not only by the size of the tire, but also the height. It actually effectively changes the gear ratio in the rear end and makes it not as aggressive therefore adding even more traction.
I actually have not noticed the speedometer actually being off at all going through speed traps and google maps say I am traveling the correct speed.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Ah yes I was a bit worried about it, but knew I could make it fit. The added traction is aided not only by the size of the tire, but also the height. It actually effectively changes the gear ratio in the rear end and makes it not as aggressive therefore adding even more traction.
I actually have not noticed the speedometer actually being off at all going through speed traps and google maps say I am traveling the correct speed.
Jag speedos with OEM tyres are notorious for over-reading (optimistic) by about 6%, so by fitting bigger diameter tyres you have corrected all or most of this over-read.

Old 08-29-2019, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Jag speedos with OEM tyres are notorious for over-reading (optimistic) by about 6%, so by fitting bigger diameter tyres you have corrected all or most of this over-read.
This sounds about accurate as most manufactures do this. I effectively changed the speedometer 5.87% according to what my math came up with. Of course that was not accounting for tire flex from vehicle weight.

Old 09-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Flex wont change rolling circumference. All the same amount of tread has to pass on the ground with each revolution. Even if the tire was an oval (or rectangle or triangle) with the same circumference it would move the same distance with each revolution. Just think that you lay out the tread on the ground and each will have the same length (distance) of tread)

HoustonSalsaR (10-24-2019)