XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New XF-R on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New XF-R on the way!

Went and test drove an XF-R yesterday, having looked at an M3, E63, and was going to look at a CTS-V but never made it. The R has a great blend of performance and comfort and I like Ian Callum's interpretation of "Modern Britain". It really was a no-brainer choice.

Coming out of a Porsche is tough, but the R does an awful lot of what the 911 does in performance terms but is a better all-rounder.

Car is in Botanical Green with London Tan interior and should be here at the end of July. Can't wait!

Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I think at $80k the car is a bargain compared to the M5 and E63. Not to mention it looks 100x better.

Pics are mandatory upon delivery of your beast. =)

Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 442 Posts

+1 on Master's comment

Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 AM

Thanks! ETA is end of July so have plenty of time to get the camera out. My only "wobble" since putting down the deposit is on color.

You don't see anything other than silver, gray and black cars these days - and I'm just as guilty having had 3 gray cars and 2 black cars in the past - but picking Botanic Green (wife preference over silver gray or black) feels a little odd.

Anyone here got Botanical Green and can talk it up?

MTIA

Old 05-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Thanks! ETA is end of July so have plenty of time to get the camera out. My only "wobble" since putting down the deposit is on color.

You don't see anything other than silver, gray and black cars these days - and I'm just as guilty having had 3 gray cars and 2 black cars in the past - but picking Botanic Green (wife preference over silver gray or black) feels a little odd.

MTIA
Never seen it, but green traditionally only looks good on Jags. Especially British Racing Green. How does Botanical green differ?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
Default Botanical Green

Originally Posted by Master Deep
Never seen it, but green traditionally only looks good on Jags. Especially British Racing Green. How does Botanical green differ?
It's a metallic color so has some sparkle to it. Depending on angle it can look black, or BRG, through to almost a blue color.

I wanted something that would throw the "R" chrome parts into sharper relief than you would get with silver or gray, but didn't really want the hassle of black.

SWMBO thinks it's great - you get black for free - and it's different enough to stand out without calling attention to itself.

I wish there were better pictures of the color on line, but it seems rare or unloved - take your pick...

Old 05-18-2009, 10:03 PM

I just googled the color and I like how it looks in cloudy/dark lighting. Its unique in sunny lighting. Not sure what to think of it. But it will be a unique color for sure.

Which dealer did you order your car from?

P.S. I'm a HUGE Pcar fan. The 997s are simply amazing. I've gotten a ride in one and it was so much fun.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice, congrats. If it looks close to Emerald fire color they have on XFs I KNOW the car will be a looker. I think the "R" /brakes/grill/chrome will stand out.
I am glad you are doing your part in stimulating the economy. Your president thanks you
________
Chrysler JA platform history

Last edited by sanand911; 02-08-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Default Imperial, Lake Bluff

Which dealer did you order your car from?

P.S. I'm a HUGE Pcar fan. The 997s are simply amazing. I've gotten a ride in one and it was so much fun.
Dealer is Imperial in Lake Bluff, IL. I was thinking 2 years ago about an XKR but a change in my company made me back out of going further. The sales person (Connie - how many women do you find selling cars and doing it well?) was informative, attentive, but didn't push, and was sympathetic when I backed out. She was the obvious choice to go back to when my wife and I began looking again.

The P-car is amazing. It handles sensationally, has intuitive steering, powerful brakes and a great shifter. Not forgetting a wonderfully responsive and tuneful engine.

The problem is it generates a lot of road noise and rides a little stiffer than ideal on Midwest cratered roads and concrete paving slabs. Most of my/our driving is either a short commute or 4 hour long trips to see family and return often the following morning. That's when the Porsche becomes wearing and why the XF-R seems a better fit. Fun when you want it - Dynamic + Trac + "S" - yet relaxed when you just want to cruise.

The green is still a question. We spent half the evening chasing images of Botanical Green, Lunar Gray, and Ultimate Black just to make sure...

Old 05-19-2009, 11:09 AM

My dealer is Patrick Jaguar in Naperville and they have been terrific.

The 911 is what got me into cars. I first saw it on the road while I was on a roadtrip in California. It was a 964 and I was around 4 or so and I was instantly hooked. Asked my dad what that car was and bam, my Porsche obsession has stuck with me since then. I hope once I get through med school and residency to pick one up in my late 30's. But that's another 12 from now. The poster on the wall in front of me will have to suffice till then.

Ultimate Black just looks so clean in pictures. Just highlights the side profile shot. Can't go wrong with it. But it might be popular. Top Gear had a review of the XF vs M5 vs CLS63 vs CTS-V. Their XF was a somewhat bright blue, but not too bright to look boyracer-ish. I don't know if you looked at that color too. It looked good.

Last edited by Master Deep; 05-19-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM

Proving that age is no obstacle to 911 lust, I saw my first one as a junior high student back in 1967. a white one going down the street in a city in the north of England. It looked and sounded different from anything else on the road. A book of cars (Observer Book of Automobiles) had me page turning furiously until I landed on "Panhard" then "Pontiac" then finally "Porsche" to discover what this car was.

I agree the Ultimate Black looks very sharp, but I wonder how "swirly" it looks after a few years of ownership?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:33 PM

Black is a PITA. But its worth it just for those few days after each detail that the car looks stunning. My dad has a Jet Black 3-series which is non-metallic. Swirls happen while washing sometimes. Check out my detailing photos:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...2&postcount=49

But I think Metallic Black is better since it will hide swirls a tiny bit. My next black car has to be Metallic Black.

As long as you keep up from Day 1 and have no one else touch your car but you or a touchless car wash at a gas station (do not dry it by hand), swirls can be kept to a minimum. The problems happen when others wash your car, especially the dealer...

Old 05-20-2009, 09:13 PM

After a furious (not angry, just lots of them) exchange of emails last night we came to the conclusion that Ultimate Black was the better color choice to go with London Tan. I have a really good guy who details my car twice a year so I'm hoping he can work his magic on Ultimate Black. Dealer confirmed the change to the order had been made. Now I just have to wait...

Old 05-20-2009, 10:42 PM

After a furious (not angry, just lots of them) exchange of emails last night we came to the conclusion that Ultimate Black was the better color choice to go with London Tan. I have a really good guy who details my car twice a year so I'm hoping he can work his magic on Ultimate Black. Dealer confirmed the change to the order had been made. Now I just have to wait...
That combo will look gorgeous. Is UB that metallic black?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Default UB is metallic

That combo will look gorgeous. Is UB that metallic black?
It has metal flakes in it (it's a bit like Porsche's Basalt Black). In the shade it just looks black but in strong sunlight it sparkles.

I'm also considering adding the side vent in chrome, but not sure if that would be too bling.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:20 PM

It has metal flakes in it (it's a bit like Porsche's Basalt Black). In the shade it just looks black but in strong sunlight it sparkles.

I'm also considering adding the side vent in chrome, but not sure if that would be too bling.
I don't think the side vent will look good in chrome but i'd have to see it in person.

Basalt Black is gorgeous. Almost looks dark gray sometimes depending on the lighting.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:22 PM

MTIA
Not just green -- $80K of green. It'll be beautiful. Enjoy it!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Default Spec is frozen!

Got a call yesterday from the dealer to say that the spec had finally been frozen, which means it should be built within the next two weeks. then there's the long wait for it to be shipped to Baltimore and trucked to Chicago.

After being at the race track with Jaguar Saturday the spec of Ultimate Black metallic and London Tan interior with Jet headlining should be perfect. At the track we saw numerous variations but our spec still works best for us. We did have a "moment" thinking about Ivory but I just think it will show dye from jeans too easily to be worth it.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 261 Posts

Saw an electric blue XF R today at the dealer, next to a black one. That electric blue is pretty spectacular, similar in impact to the emerald green that came out on launch.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM

Got a call yesterday from the dealer to say that the spec had finally been frozen, which means it should be built within the next two weeks. then there's the long wait for it to be shipped to Baltimore and trucked to Chicago.

After being at the race track with Jaguar Saturday the spec of Ultimate Black metallic and London Tan interior with Jet headlining should be perfect. At the track we saw numerous variations but our spec still works best for us. We did have a "moment" thinking about Ivory but I just think it will show dye from jeans too easily to be worth it.
I drive by the shipyards in Balitmore almost every day. How about I pick it up for you at the port and drive it directly to you.

I am sure I can get it to Chicago faster than the hauler, thus expediting your delivery.

I promise you I will leave you a little bit of tread on the tires!!

Please say yes, I will work out the details with your dealer...

Really - I hope you get is very soon, I know that waiting is somewhat stressful. I had to wait for a 911 delivery and it drove me crazy!!

Quick Reply: New XF-R on the way!