XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New XFR

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XFR

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Recently took delivery of 2014 XJR with all the trimmings. BRG with London tan upholstery. Not quite as smooth as the X350 but quieter. 33 miles to the imperial gallon motorway cruising. Got to have faith in the adaptive cruise control when somebody suddenly enters your lane at 110k. Lots of favourable comments on the car
Auto fire

Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XFR

Sorry post should have said XFR. XJ wont go in my garage
Auto fire

Old 02-10-2014, 02:31 AM
Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto fire
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Recently took delivery of 2014 XJR with all the trimmings. BRG with London tan upholstery. Not quite as smooth as the X350 but quieter. 33 miles to the imperial gallon motorway cruising. Got to have faith in the adaptive cruise control when somebody suddenly enters your lane at 110k. Lots of favourable comments on the car
Auto fire
I am surprised you find the X250 XF-R "quiet". I have an XF S/C (same engine, minus the hood vents, sport seats, wing and "R" emblem). I find the XF to be a relatively noisy car. Relatively as in it's nosier than a BMW F10 5-series or MB W212 E-sclass and definitely noisier than any Lexus including the IS. I don't mean it's economy car noisy and I don't find it objectionably loud, but its definitely not the quietest car in the luxury segment it competes in. Wind noise, tire noise and cabin noise in general is higher than average. Doors also close with a somewhat hollow thunk which I found uncharacteristic in the segment.

Still... it's a beautiful car and a good performance value against the likes of an E63 or M5 in the same HP class, so I got one.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

That's a very subjective topic. I have a 2012 XFR and found it too quiet. I installed the Mina exhaust which is slightly louder than what I wanted but better than the factory exhaust. The build on the XFR is fabulous. It's not
meant to be a sedan. I don't think of Lexus when considering performance vehicles. The XFR has personality the Lexus does not. And I recently drove an M6 convertible for a week as BMW wants me to buy one. I preferred the XFR even thought it is not a soft top. The only car I loved driving more than the XFR is the Maserati GT.

Originally Posted by dwight looi
I am surprised you find the X250 XF-R "quiet". I have an XF S/C (same engine, minus the hood vents, sport seats, wing and "R" emblem). I find the XF to be a relatively noisy car. Relatively as in it's nosier than a BMW F10 5-series or MB W212 E-sclass and definitely noisier than any Lexus including the IS. I don't mean it's economy car noisy and I don't find it objectionably loud, but its definitely not the quietest car in the luxury segment it competes in. Wind noise, tire noise and cabin noise in general is higher than average. Doors also close with a somewhat hollow thunk which I found uncharacteristic in the segment.

Still... it's a beautiful car and a good performance value against the likes of an E63 or M5 in the same HP class, so I got one.

The following users liked this post:
chuckh007 (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmarton
That's a very subjective topic. I have a 2012 XFR and found it too quiet. I installed the Mina exhaust which is slightly louder than what I wanted but better than the factory exhaust. The build on the XFR is fabulous. It's not
meant to be a sedan. I don't think of Lexus when considering performance vehicles. The XFR has personality the Lexus does not. And I recently drove an M6 convertible for a week as BMW wants me to buy one. I preferred the XFR even thought it is not a soft top. The only car I loved driving more than the XFR is the Maserati GT.
I will second that, as I personally test drove:
- 2012 Audi S4
- 2012 BMW 335IX
- 2012 Cadillac CTS-V
- 2012 Mercedes E63 AMG
- 2012 BMW M5
- 2012 A6 & A7
- 2010 Jaguar XFR
- I now own a 2012 Jaguar XFR
- And very recently 2013 S7 (as one wasn't available at the time I was car shopping)

Pretty much in order of how I test drove them... and I will say that hands down the Jaguar (for me) was the quietest of the lot.

And still is, one could almost say it was too quiet. I loved how tire/ road and wind noise were completely isolated especially when comparing to every other car on that list... What did bother me was other than initial bark on startup there wasn't alot of noise when you drove the XFR, hence I too have added a MINA exhaust.

Both the M5 and Especially the E63 AMG were too loud in a good way, but I don't know if its something I would want to live with as my daily driver...

CTS-V, S4, and 335IX are not in the same class, but from a price point were actually not far off of the XFR's price...

A6 & A7 I test drove as I really had my heart on an S7, but none were available at the time when I was shopping... Both were meh!!! at best, nothing in comparison to the M5, E63, or XFR.

Then I recently got a call and test drove S7, and I would put Audi Interiors at the very top, barely edging out Mercedes interior, and I will say I wasn't impressed after stepping into it in comparison to my XFR... Quattro was nice for the weather we are having, but other than that, the car wasn't as engaging as my XFR, and road and wind noise were more pronounced than the XFR, E63 , and very close to the M5.

Overall after driving every other car I had no problem talking with sales staff and walking away and weighing out my options... Not the case with the XFR...

So to the new proud owner Congrats on a great car!!! maybe post up some pics when you have a moment...