XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

New XFR owner - Couple of questions to the forum group

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New XFR owner - Couple of questions to the forum group

Good day everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a 2010 XFR and I'm loving every bit of this incredible car!! But like any new things I got a couple of questions to seasoned jaguar XF/XFR owners.

1) I'm currently averaging 17l/100km (13.2 MPG) fuel consumption and I'm being very careful.. considering 80% urban / 20% highway is this in the norm?

2) I've noticed some rust (big chunk) on the driver door in the lower front corner, I took it to my dealership and it will be fixed this under warranty. My question is has anyone had rust issues on the XF/XFR? I live in Canada and they do put salt on the roads but I'm expecting for a car like a Jaguar not to have rust issues after 2 years.. could this be a known problem with Jaguar's in general?

3) This one is very strange.. Sometimes when I get out of the car I hear 2 beeps following a 1 sec silence then 2 beeps again following a 1 sec silence, this sequence can happen 2 or 3 times in a row or only once.

At night it will start doing it when the car is parked on the driveway. I noticed that it does it more when the car is dirty or has snow/ice on it. When I get it cleaned the problem disappears for a couple of days. I brought it to the dealership and they have never seen this.. If someone has any idea what could be happening please let me know so I can bring this info to the Jaguar dealership.

thanks,
Gab

Old 01-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I can only comment on the first issue, I'm in Calgary and its been a combination of great weather (0 to 8 deg C) for a week...followed by less than great (-5 to -18) and I can say that the idling time to warm up and colder weather in general really seems to impact the mileage.

I've at 15 l/100 km when driving like an angel in the city, closer to 20 when messing around. I'm a new owner too...

The following users liked this post:
Gabriellus (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

It's the 80 percent urban that is doing in the mileage. How many miles on the car?

I use a no ethanol premium which seems to help. I may do a mile per gal better if I am careful. If you drive in sport that will drain the fuel, but it's a better drive.

Congratulations on the car! Post some photos. What color combo?

Last edited by jaguny; 01-11-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Gabriellus
Good day everyone,

I'm the proud owner of a 2010 XFR and I'm loving every bit of this incredible car!! But like any new things I got a couple of questions to seasoned jaguar XF/XFR owners.

3) This one is very strange.. Sometimes when I get out of the car I hear 2 beeps following a 1 sec silence then 2 beeps again following a 1 sec silence, this sequence can happen 2 or 3 times in a row or only once.

At night it will start doing it when the car is parked on the driveway. I noticed that it does it more when the car is dirty or has snow/ice on it. When I get it cleaned the problem disappears for a couple of days. I brought it to the dealership and they have never seen this.. If someone has any idea what could be happening please let me know so I can bring this info to the Jaguar dealership.

thanks,
Gab
This sounds similar to what was happening to me. I would get into the car or get out of the car and would hear the beeps. I finally figured it out. I had a couple of keys attached to the key fob and when it was in my left pocket, sometimes the keys pressed against one of the buttons when I got into/out of the car. I put the keys in my right pocket and solved the problem.

Gabriellus (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Mileage is normal. I live in Calgary and my normally aspirated 4.2 does similar mileage. Highway economy is much better than City. Almost half the consumption rate, probably because of the gearing in 6th and the excellent aero.

That rust is evidence of body damage. The early X Type had factory installed rust but not the current steel Jaguars. I've seen them built and they should not rust. Get that correctly repaired under warranty, unless it's accident damage in which case you'll have to pay unless it is a certified used car.

The beeping is an electrical fault I believe. I can't help with the cause.

Gabriellus (01-12-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 08:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have a 2010 XFR and i drive highway to the office 20 miles each day. I average 21.6 (that's the average shown after 4 full to empty tanks). Best I have seen is 25.6 from Milwaukee to Chicago and back, 98% freeway.

If i go for a blast on a fun weekend and burn a few hundred miles, i will see 14MPG averages.

And no rust. I'm in Wisconsin and drive all winter.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 PM

Should have added, my car had several thousand km in the trip meter when I bought it, 12.7 l/100 km was the average...obviously a very different driver than I!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Was this vehicle purchased new or used?

Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Mileage and performance improve noticably at around 30,000 km (20,000 miles).

Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
It's the 80 percent urban that is doing in the mileage. How many miles on the car?

I use a no ethanol premium which seems to help. I may do a mile per gal better if I am careful. If you drive in sport that will drain the fuel, but it's a better drive.

Congratulations on the car! Post some photos. What color combo?
Thanks for the info, my car has 64000 km (40000 miles). when I'm 100% highway its doing about 11l/100km (21 mpg) @ 110km/h (68 mph). I was hopping for more but it is a 5.0l 510hp motors so I should be expecting this

Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
This sounds similar to what was happening to me. I would get into the car or get out of the car and would hear the beeps. I finally figured it out. I had a couple of keys attached to the key fob and when it was in my left pocket, sometimes the keys pressed against one of the buttons when I got into/out of the car. I put the keys in my right pocket and solved the problem.
I'll try this.. I think it could be the keys as well something with my keys opening the car and my wife's keys closing it created some weird state in the car. the Dealer will look into this next week, I'll keep the forum updated on what they say

Gab

Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

the mileage is normal.

my N/A XF was a horrible gas guzzler

Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jagular
Mileage is normal. I live in Calgary and my normally aspirated 4.2 does similar mileage. Highway economy is much better than City. Almost half the consumption rate, probably because of the gearing in 6th and the excellent aero.

That rust is evidence of body damage. The early X Type had factory installed rust but not the current steel Jaguars. I've seen them built and they should not rust. Get that correctly repaired under warranty, unless it's accident damage in which case you'll have to pay unless it is a certified used car.

The beeping is an electrical fault I believe. I can't help with the cause.

The Car is going in next week at the dealership, Its under warranty and I bought it from jaguar as a certified pre-owned so they'll fix it. It's not an accident damage as the car was never in one . The space on the lower front corner of the door is very tight when you open the door so I'm thinking something hard (ex: rock) got stuck and damaged the corner enough to exposed the metal sheet of the door. after that you add salt and voila!!

I'll let the dealer know about a possible electrical fault that would cause this, have you ever seen this on your car?

Gab

Old 01-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Was this vehicle purchased new or used?
Hi Jerry,

I purchased it used as a certified pre-owned from Jaguar at the John Scotti dealership here in Montreal.

I have to say that the service at John Scotti both sales team and after-sales team are great!

Gab

Old 01-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Jerry,

I purchased it used as a certified pre-owned from Jaguar at the John Scotti dealership here in Montreal.

I have to say that the service at John Scotti both sales team and after-sales team are great!

Gab
Did you get to see the ownership records for the vehicle or a carfax (if they have it in Canada)? Because of the unusual rust problem and the electronics problem, it would appear that this car may have been damaged in an accident of some sort. The double-beep that you are getting normally occurs if the lock button is pressed twice for confirmation when the car is being locked. It will also occur during locking if the alarm system detects a partially latched door, trunk, or hood. If the passive alarm function has been activated for the vhicle, then 30 seconds after opening a door and then shutting it, the alarms are automatically reset (even if the car remains unlocked) and the double beep will occur if faulty latching is detected. It is also possible that a sensor is damaged or knocked slightly out of position and is falsly and intermittently detecting a partially latched condition. That might account for the night time beeping.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Thanks for the info, my car has 64000 km (40000 miles). when I'm 100% highway its doing about 11l/100km (21 mpg) @ 110km/h (68 mph). I was hopping for more but it is a 5.0l 510hp motors so I should be expecting this
I have achieved better than 25 mpg on some 2 hr highway trips in summer. I only have about 5k miles.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:13 PM

Hi Jerry,

Gab
Did you buy the midnight blue one? Had my eye on it for a while!

Just back from a 700 km weekend loop, 11.1 l/100 km.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jerry S
Did you get to see the ownership records for the vehicle or a carfax (if they have it in Canada)? Because of the unusual rust problem and the electronics problem, it would appear that this car may have been damaged in an accident of some sort. The double-beep that you are getting normally occurs if the lock button is pressed twice for confirmation when the car is being locked. It will also occur during locking if the alarm system detects a partially latched door, trunk, or hood. If the passive alarm function has been activated for the vhicle, then 30 seconds after opening a door and then shutting it, the alarms are automatically reset (even if the car remains unlocked) and the double beep will occur if faulty latching is detected. It is also possible that a sensor is damaged or knocked slightly out of position and is falsly and intermittently detecting a partially latched condition. That might account for the night time beeping.
Hi jerry,

Yes I did get the carfax and carproof and they were both clean. the car had one owner that bought it at the dealership I bought it so I have all the history of the car.

Gab

Old 01-14-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by wannajag
Did you buy the midnight blue one? Had my eye on it for a while!

Just back from a 700 km weekend loop, 11.1 l/100 km.
Hi Wannajag,

Yes it is the midnight blue one There's not a lot of used XFR's on the Canadian market!

Gab

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 AM

To me, midnight blue is the classiest looking XF out there, beautiful - congrats!

Quick Reply: New XFR owner - Couple of questions to the forum group