XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 02:18 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Newbie Here

Recently purchased a 2012 XF Portfolio with 6K miles (that's correct 6,000) for my wife. So far we love the car, and I look forward to member's insight. The wife says "Gee it sounds so quiet", and I told her that I can fix that - hehehe. I've seen the posts here on the Mina exhaust as well as removing resonators and installing a cross pipe. Any thoughts on pros and cons of each? I would also like to eventually unleash this beast. Any recommendations as to the best ECU tunes?
Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your posts and learning a lot.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

That's an NA, right? No supercharger?
If so, I've heard the tunes don't really give you much bang for buck, but others can chime in. likewise, when I removed my resonators, it gave me a lot more supercharger whine, but I didn't notice much of a difference in engine noise.

Exhaust seems to be something most guys agree on, although there's a bit of debate on what makes the tone you're looking for. This has been pretty thoroughly debated on a number of threads, but I kinda like this one for reference.

The following users liked this post:
kwiksilver (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by n8ertot
That's an NA, right? No supercharger?
If so, I've heard the tunes don't really give you much bang for buck, but others can chime in. likewise, when I removed my resonators, it gave me a lot more supercharger whine, but I didn't notice much of a difference in engine noise.

Exhaust seems to be something most guys agree on, although there's a bit of debate on what makes the tone you're looking for. This has been pretty thoroughly debated on a number of threads, but I kinda like this one for reference.
NA, correct. You are probably right on the tune. With the supercharger tuners can play with boost and wastegates, but results on NA is probably not cost effective. Thanks for the link on exhaust. I will do more reading.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:47 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

I'm convinced that the Mina exhaust mufflers and quad sport tips are the perfect up grade for our Model of XF..

I'm waiting to find a deal on the MINA like BigWill did on ebay..don't expect him to explain himself too much or very well on the subject, god knows I've tried..Just know the exhaust are the best match for the ideal sound.

BTW..Count your lucky stars on your '12 with the big V8...you won't find them anymore except in the SC'd versions..

kwiksilver (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by DPK
I'm convinced that the Mina exhaust mufflers and quad sport tips are the perfect up grade for our Model of XF..

I'm waiting to find a deal on the MINA like BigWill did on ebay..don't expect him to explain himself too much or very well on the subject, god knows I've tried..Just know the exhaust are the best match for the ideal sound.

BTW..Count your lucky stars on your '12 with the big V8...you won't find them anymore except in the SC'd versions..
Thanks. If you happen find a deal please let me know.
I realized the 2012 was the last of the NA 5.0L when I bought it. I was actually looking for an XFR, but could not seem to find a good one at the right price when this one with 6Kmiles came along. I do feel lucky.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Choosing the NA over the XFR will change your focus to aesthetics/sound over outright performance. The 385 hp is no slouch, bit the XF is sooo heavy that it can't be considered a performance car. Luxo cruiser definitely though and good find with 6K miles. Enjoy!

kwiksilver (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah, 6k is pretty amazing.

Just drove my car after not being able to for 2.5 weeks (surgery) and actually was amazed at how much growl I was getting. This is with stock exhaust and resonator delete, so maybe the res delete has more impact than I was thinking. It's free to do anyway, so probably worth trying. I think I had just gotten used to it enough that I didn't hear it anymore.

kwiksilver (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Choosing the NA over the XFR will change your focus to aesthetics/sound over outright performance. The 385 hp is no slouch, bit the XF is sooo heavy that it can't be considered a performance car. Luxo cruiser definitely though and good find with 6K miles. Enjoy!
I understand and agree, but since it's really supposed to be for my wife, performance is not the primary concern. Although I did think that I might be able to sneak an XFR into the stable without her realizing.
You're right, the NA is no slouch, but even though I'm 78 years old, I do need an adrenaline rush every now and then; so I do have another toy that I can take to the track (Porsche 997TT) - not bragging, just saying that old car nuts never seem to shake the addiction.

The following 3 users liked this post by kwiksilver:
DPK (02-07-2016), Gpalace (02-09-2016), Humphrey (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by n8ertot
Yeah, 6k is pretty amazing.

Just drove my car after not being able to for 2.5 weeks (surgery) and actually was amazed at how much growl I was getting. This is with stock exhaust and resonator delete, so maybe the res delete has more impact than I was thinking. It's free to do anyway, so probably worth trying. I think I had just gotten used to it enough that I didn't hear it anymore.
Sounds like the resonator delete is a good place to start - thanks.

Old 02-07-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by kwiksilver
I understand and agree, but since it's really supposed to be for my wife, performance is not the primary concern. Although I did think that I might be able to sneak an XFR into the stable without her realizing.
You're right, the NA is no slouch, but even though I'm 78 years old, I do need an adrenaline rush every now and then; so I do have another toy that I can take to the track (Porsche 997TT) - not bragging, just saying that old car nuts never seem to shake the addiction.
Now that I know you have the Porsche (which is one of the few things I'd consider trading the XFR for), I don't think you'll miss the power, much. If you have the itch, just drive the 997. That should take care of any adrenaline issues you might have. Those things are sick fast.

And glad to see that the enthusiast is still alive inside you Hoping that I still have it in 30 years!

Old 02-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just saying that old car nuts never seem to shake the addiction.
Hahaha, this is almost signature worthy.

Well said, and I hope that my fire still burns if/when I get to be 70+.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:20 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Heheh..you go brother/....

Old 02-09-2016, 08:49 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

NICE, my 2010 XFsc has 8000 miles, 7200 when i got it.......smells , looks new ; ) congrats on your Jag.... this is my 5 th and 3rd S/C car i absolutely love them

Old 02-09-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Injekter
NICE, my 2010 XFsc has 8000 miles, 7200 when i got it.......smells , looks new ; ) congrats on your Jag.... this is my 5 th and 3rd S/C car i absolutely love them
Sweet ride. I would have liked to have had an SC, but this one came along. I still did quite well. I really like it. Stratus gray metallic (almost black). I like your wheels. What kind are they?