XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

no air coming from front center vents

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no air coming from front center vents

my 2009 xfs is having duct trouble im getting airflow from the 2 outer vent ---great air flow to rear vents --but no air flow to the 2 center vent ---I know the 4 front vents seam to be on the same duct --any suggestions-----thanks

The following users liked this post:
RSM22 (04-14-2024)
Old 05-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

There's a chance one of your stepper motors that opens/closes the blend door has either malfunctioned or broken. Sometimes you can hear a clicking noise if you try to change the blower settings from footwell up through the defroster vents.
When I had my 09 XF-SC the right center duct would not blow. If you pull the panel off along the transmission tunnel under the dash, the stepper motors and their respective white plastic gears and levers can be seen with a flashlight if you follow the ventilation tubing and look up towards the nav unit. On mine, one of the plastic arms had a "pin" at the end that is supposed to follow a groove along what looks like a 2" cog gear. In my situation, I just had to push the vent buttons until the cog spun around to the point I could pop the pin on the arm back in. The plastic is brittle though, so be careful you don't snap it. I don't know this for sure, but it looked like removing the dash was the only way to get to the stepper motor to replace it or the plastic arms if they are broken.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 356 Likes on 270 Posts

It's basically a Lincoln LS, and all Ford/Lincolns are known for failure of the A/C doors.

And they are never fun to fix. I did 3 of them (each painful) on my old Town Car, and the other 2 were such a big job, I just lived with it until I sold the car.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

A higher level Jaguar scanner will tell you exactly which stepper motor is out, I had one caught on my carpet after a cabin filter change.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the help tore the car apart saterday .trying to fix tpms also .ended up being the arm to that damper disconnected .only problem is I broke another arm next to it (is all by itself and only controls 1 damper .is on the passenger side outboard of the main damper controller) does anyone know its function. everything seams to function properly and would be very difficult to change -thanks

Old 04-12-2018, 05:42 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Does anyone know if this could have been caused by the replacement of the airbag recall?