XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

No battery or emergency key. How do i get in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 11:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No battery or emergency key. How do i get in trunk?

I took my car to sorry Walmart Auto for a battery swap. My emergency key fell out the fob a while ago which has been inconvenient. The guy takes the battery out the car and slams the trunk shut. With no key and no power how do i get into the trunk. Tried under the hood and the terminal inside the car but no luck. My car is stuck there windows down and idk what to do. Any help???

The following users liked this post:
AOTEAROA634 (10-22-2022)
Old 10-17-2022, 09:52 PM
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

If they have not locked the car, they can use a jumper under the hood on the positive terminal, and ground, should give power to the car to open the trunk via the switch on the dash. Hope this helps

Old 10-18-2022, 03:10 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dniqueo7
I took my car to sorry Walmart Auto for a battery swap. My emergency key fell out the fob a while ago which has been inconvenient. The guy takes the battery out the car and slams the trunk shut. With no key and no power how do i get into the trunk. Tried under the hood and the terminal inside the car but no luck. My car is stuck there windows down and idk what to do. Any help???
? So are you saying you have already tried this :
It definitely works ,100 %. ..... if it is not working for you I would strongly suggest perhaps investigate what is not right at your end ? Is the "emergency" battery you are using charged , booster cables not faulty etc etc
HTH !

The following users liked this post:
thistle4celtic1 (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 04:03 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

You may have experienced the truck cable failure at the same time as the process shown in the video should have worked as I have used that method.
A locksmith can use a lock pick ( if he has the right one) in your door to ascertain the key code to cut a key to open your truck, I have done this after finding a locksmith that can do it. You cannot get into the truck from inside the car as you cannot remove the back seat unless you have access to your trunk.
I have been through this and until i found a locksmith that could otherwise you have to cut a large hole to access and damage your latch to open it.
I have purchased my own lock picks for my x300, x308 and XF but have not used them as it's a skill you need to practice.

Old 10-22-2022, 05:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The following video shows how to get the back seats out,
If the positive cable is dangling somewhere in to boot, it may be best not to try and feed power in elsewhere.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by sportbrake_phil
The following video shows how to get the back seats out, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nwdo9qXeno
If the positive cable is dangling somewhere in to boot, it may be best not to try and feed power in elsewhere.
If you are concerned about that extremely unlikely possibility , you could easily check the accessible positive terminal at the fusebox for short to ground before doing anything else. . Not a reason to prefer pulling the seats out but this is a great backup plan if absolutely nothing else works.- great post !

Old 10-23-2022, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

Without a physical battery in the car none of that will work? You have no completed circuits?
Follow the suggestion above to get into the trunk via the back seats.
That's your only hope.

Yes that battery guy sure left you with a mess!

Old 10-23-2022, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Without a physical battery in the car none of that will work? You have no completed circuits?
Follow the suggestion above to get into the trunk via the back seats.
That's your only hope.

Yes that battery guy sure left you with a mess!
Just because you don't understand something doesn't make it untrue !!!
I’ll try and explain why this works.
Just say you remove your battery and place it on the ground. Now get some jumper cables- connect positive at battery to positive battery cable in car. Negative to negative in car. Everything in car has power, right?
Now disconnect jumper cable from negative battery cable in car and instead connect to an earth point in car. You still have power to car interior lights work etc etc…the car metal is one big negative terminal
But, hey isn’t the negative battery cable disconnected ? Yes, but you are effectively connected to it through the car metal. ( now obviously you wouldn’t do the following in real life
If you were to now clamp the positive jumper cable say 6 inches from the positive cable clamp that normally attaches to the battery in the car ( stripping the insulation first for electrical contact) it would still power the car. Do this every 6 inches until you reach the fuse box…yes, it still powers the car even though the battery cables are disconnected in the boot… HTH