XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Noise when accelerating (Pinking Noise?)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noise when accelerating (Pinking Noise?)

Hi, I have a 60 plate XF 3.0s that I have only had for a few weeks and is my first Jaguar.
My question is, when I accelerate I hear what I can best describe as an old school 'pinking' noise from the engine. A bit like the noise you used to hear from a badly tuned engine back in the carb days.
Is this normal or does it sound like I have a tuning problem.

The main reason I ask is that I am in dispute with the independent dealership who sold me the car as they supplied it with badly worn discs and now I am a little concerned they have not serviced it even though they have stamped the book saying they have given it a B level service.

Am I right in saying filters should have been changed in the B service, is this a fairly easy thing for me or a garage to check? (this is a subsidiary question to the pinking issue of course)

Thanks in advance.

Jason

Old 12-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be something as simple as bad fuel... In the USA it is recommended minimal of 91 Octane... not sure what that is in the UK... but if you got some bad fuel or something with too much ethanol it will ping.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by joey4420
Could be something as simple as bad fuel... In the USA it is recommended minimal of 91 Octane... not sure what that is in the UK... but if you got some bad fuel or something with too much ethanol it will ping.
Minimum fuel in the UK is 95 RON which is the same as 91 AKI octane rating in North America.

Ethanol has a considerably higher octane rating than gasoline (believe it or not) so that would work in the OP's favour not against him.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM

could it be tappet noise than I am hearing? Please excuse my real lack of knowledge in this area, I'm just trying to explain the noise as best as possible given my experience with old style cars.
It may well be than the noise is pretty normal of a diesel which is why I am curious to ask others.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Minimum fuel in the UK is 95 RON which is the same as 91 AKI octane rating in North America.

Ethanol has a considerably higher octane rating than gasoline (believe it or not) so that would work in the OP's favour not against him.
I know in my manual it says not to use any fuel with more than 10% Ethanol... And not sure on Octane, but I know it burns cleaner but produces a lot less energy. So higher Ethanol levels will equal a lot less energy being produced.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

If this is the 3.0l Ford engine, it has been known to ping a bit especially when cold. It is not direct injected, so that rules out, most likely, injector noise as is sometimes heard on the 5.0. If all the ECM codes are clear, it would seem unlikely to be a major issue, but you should have it checked out - If the filters are somehow very clogged, this could also be the culprit in their effect on how hard the engine is working...

Old 12-05-2013, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by joey4420
I know in my manual it says not to use any fuel with more than 10% Ethanol... And not sure on Octane, but I know it burns cleaner but produces a lot less energy. So higher Ethanol levels will equal a lot less energy being produced.
There's no fuels (other than E85 and non-starter soon to be extinct E15 in the US ) that have higher than 10% ethanol. Irrespective, this has nothing to do with the OP's problem.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by JLMedia
It may well be than the noise is pretty normal of a diesel which is why I am curious to ask others.

Thanks
Excuse my ignorance- does your car have a diesel engine? These are not sold by Jag in North America.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Excuse my ignorance- does your car have a diesel engine? These are not sold by Jag in North America.
I missed that second post as well - If it is a diesel, sounds like perhaps normal clatter? Is this noise something that has been present from delivery, or a developing issue?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:37 AM

Thanks for everyones input, it has been there since I took delivery of the car however this was of course a 2nd hand car rather than a new one so I am unsure if this is normal or a bad service issue.
The car is booked in with Jaguar main dealership on Tuesday anyway so I will get them to test drive it and see what they say.

Thanks again guys

Old 12-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

I started a thread about this issue couple years ago about the same exact pinging that I was experiencing with the 5 L supercharged engine on my XFR. I've had everyone look at it several times, and even contacted Jaguar North America. Essentially, everybody's assessment is that it is just noisy feel pumps. I had the car for 85,000 miles, and it runs perfect, except for this one issue. The only reason I am skeptical as to whether it really is noisy fuel pumps is because the pinging is more apparent after there has been some heat soak and depending on what type of gas I use. Typically, it is better with Sunoco or Exxon, even if it is not completely gone.

I would not offer this explanation to anyone, but rather I would wait to see what they say to you. I am very curious as to what they report back to you, so please let me know and even private message me.

The following users liked this post:
JLMedia (12-07-2013)
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

But which engine? Diesel?

Old 12-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
But which engine? Diesel?
Yes, makes all the difference in the world. In fact in this review

they state

Car review: Jaguar XF 3.0D S - road test - BBC Top Gear

"You can hear the tappetty chatter of the new direct injection system (you can on pretty much all the DI cars that I've ever driven)"

Might be the noise you hear.

Diesels by design cannot suffer from detonation (pinking) so the comparison with the other poster with a 5.0 is not relevant.

As for the filters, I doubt it has any connection.

The following users liked this post:
TACOS YANNI (06-09-2023)
Old 12-09-2013, 05:07 AM

Yes, makes all the difference in the world. In fact in this review

they state

Car review: Jaguar XF 3.0D S - road test - BBC Top Gear

"You can hear the tappetty chatter of the new direct injection system (you can on pretty much all the DI cars that I've ever driven)"

Might be the noise you hear.

Diesels by design cannot suffer from detonation (pinking) so the comparison with the other poster with a 5.0 is not relevant.

As for the filters, I doubt it has any connection.
Thanks Mikey, that was great information.

Much appreciated. Sounds like its normal characteristic which is reassuring.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:29 PM
Location: Oranjemund - far south western corner of Namibia , orange river mouth.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLMedia
Thanks Mikey, that was great information.

Much appreciated. Sounds like its normal characteristic which is reassuring.
Hi there everyone,
Sorry for hijacking this very old post ... But I have done research and this was the closest I came to finding an answer to my problem as explained in this post and below.
I have this exact same "pinging" noise when I floor my 2013 XF 3Ds (note: only when cold , otherwise runs 100% fine since I owned her for the past 3 months. She got 50 000k miles on the clock. Question I have is: is this "hopefully" a characteristic of the V6 diesel, a fuel delivery system related fault or maybe the solid earth strap noise relayed into cabin? When idling or driving away slowly while it's cold - no pinging sound ... but when I floor her the pinging sound is very noticeable until fully warmed up , say 10min of driving.
Thank you for reading and replying with your valued knowledge , much appreciated.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:15 AM
Location: Oranjemund - far south western corner of Namibia , orange river mouth.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zakka
Hi there everyone,
Sorry for hijacking this very old post ... But I have done research and this was the closest I came to finding an answer to my problem as explained in this post and below.
I have this exact same "pinging" noise when I floor my 2013 XF 3Ds (note: only when cold , otherwise runs 100% fine since I owned her for the past 3 months. She got 50 000k miles on the clock. Question I have is: is this "hopefully" a characteristic of the V6 diesel, a fuel delivery system related fault or maybe the solid earth strap noise relayed into cabin? When idling or driving away slowly while it's cold - no pinging sound ... but when I floor her the pinging sound is very noticeable until fully warmed up , say 10min of driving.
Thank you for reading and replying with your valued knowledge , much appreciated.

Hi Everyone,
Still have the same old pinking noise on excelleration when cold .... Did anyone maybe have this same issue and fixed it. I am concerned that it could cause engine failure although there are no codes on my Icarsoft OBD tool.
Thanx