XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Noisy vacuum pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2022, 09:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noisy vacuum pump?

Anyone experienced a noisy vacuum pump? After listening to the high pressure fuel pumps and the vacuum pump, my noise seems to be more prominent at the vacuum pump. Both HPFPs have been replaced recently. 2011 Jaguar XF 5.0 with 58,000 miles.

Old 05-29-2022, 12:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2011_XF_5.0
Anyone experienced a noisy vacuum pump? After listening to the high pressure fuel pumps and the vacuum pump, my noise seems to be more prominent at the vacuum pump. Both HPFPs have been replaced recently. 2011 Jaguar XF 5.0 with 58,000 miles.
Hello, I too have a 2011 XF 5.0SC and I’ve had a whining sound for maybe 2 weeks that is most heard at idle that at first thought was my HPFP but I replaced both and it’s continued. The noise is typically heard once I’ve warmed up and come to stops at lights but goes quieter when I shift to Neutral. Have you tried that? If so did it have the same effect? I’ve not been able to find any information what I’ve been noticing. Also having some questions regarding the Fuel Pump Duty Cycle % for ON status which I originally thought could be the cause for the sounds as I was under the impression it was the HPFP sounding like they were being starved of fuel. Are you any familiar with that? Have you checked live data at all when you heard this sound?

Old 05-29-2022, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by boostedxf
Hello, I too have a 2011 XF 5.0SC and I’ve had a whining sound for maybe 2 weeks that is most heard at idle that at first thought was my HPFP but I replaced both and it’s continued. The noise is typically heard once I’ve warmed up and come to stops at lights but goes quieter when I shift to Neutral. Have you tried that? If so did it have the same effect? I’ve not been able to find any information what I’ve been noticing. Also having some questions regarding the Fuel Pump Duty Cycle % for ON status which I originally thought could be the cause for the sounds as I was under the impression it was the HPFP sounding like they were being starved of fuel. Are you any familiar with that? Have you checked live data at all when you heard this sound?
I’m not sure how to check the live data. Mine it more of a rasping noise. I listened to the fuel pumps and the vacuum pump with a stethoscope and the noise was much louder at the vac pump.

Old 05-30-2022, 04:43 PM

I’m not sure how to check the live data. Mine it more of a rasping noise. I listened to the fuel pumps and the vacuum pump with a stethoscope and the noise was much louder at the vac pump.
Are you able to post a video so I can compare to the noise in hearing? Also, I use the icarsoft LR v3.0 which shows all modules available and for my vehicle there’s about 250 points of live data viewable in just the ECU alone. Definitely recommend purchasing at least something that will show some live fed data. This model was about $300 shipped to California.

Old 06-07-2022, 09:54 PM

Are you able to post a video so I can compare to the noise in hearing? Also, I use the icarsoft LR v3.0 which shows all modules available and for my vehicle there’s about 250 points of live data viewable in just the ECU alone. Definitely recommend purchasing at least something that will show some live fed data. This model was about $300 shipped to California.
No video, but I can get one. Pump STILL hasn’t fixed my issue. Only thing left it could be is the pump cam timing out. So sick of this POS design. From what I’m reading that adjustment is like an 18 hour job and I was told there’s a bolt for the cam chain tensioner that requires engine to be lifted/pulled to get it out. FML 🤦‍♂️

Old 06-08-2022, 04:35 AM

No video, but I can get one. Pump STILL hasn’t fixed my issue. Only thing left it could be is the pump cam timing out. So sick of this POS design. From what I’m reading that adjustment is like an 18 hour job and I was told there’s a bolt for the cam chain tensioner that requires engine to be lifted/pulled to get it out. FML 🤦‍♂️
I have come across some information since my last reply that has me questioning wether my noise may be related to the torque converter rather than the vacuum pump. I have some similar/ possible symptoms such as this sounds I’m hearing. Like the whining pump type sound but typically when car is warmed up and previously only at idle when at a stop sign etc. but now heard at lower rpm/ speeds and usually is lessened when I put vehicle in Neutral at stops when it has a very audible tone difference by doing so. I also have a consistent ticking of the Tachometer needle when holding a steady cruising throttle and then when deceleration or downshifting I hear some mechanical noises that just started two days ago. I will be doing a proper diagnosis of this or if it is the vacuum pump by hopefully tomorrow. Just need to get access to underneath and run the car with a helper to shift to R/N/D to listen. I will make a note to report back my findings, if any. Thank you for your reply.

Old 06-08-2022, 04:45 AM

What bolt needs the Engine out to be removed? Only one I’m aware of that could be is the Crank bolt and I’ve already been in and out of that one with engine and radiator still in. It is most certainly a HUGE Pain in the *** and could be a lot easier if removed but it’s definitely accessible at least in my vehicle. The shaft that the HPFP and Vacuum pumps are driven by the crank gear which will need lots of stuff to be removed in order to get to.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:41 AM

What bolt needs the Engine out to be removed? Only one I’m aware of that could be is the Crank bolt and I’ve already been in and out of that one with engine and radiator still in. It is most certainly a HUGE Pain in the *** and could be a lot easier if removed but it’s definitely accessible at least in my vehicle. The shaft that the HPFP and Vacuum pumps are driven by the crank gear which will need lots of stuff to be removed in order to get to.
I’m not sure, he just said something about a separate tensioner near the HPFP cam.

Old 06-08-2022, 06:20 PM
Default Here’s the nois

Old 07-17-2022, 09:44 PM

hey just wanted to a check in with you on this subject. It completely slipped my mind as I have actually found something out in regards to that noise. Unfortunately I am now dealing with much bigger issues with my vehicle but I had momentarily been able to resolve the issue that we had discussed. So around the time I had been experiencing all of this, I had actually gotten my vehicles ECU flashed with a “tune”. Said tune had actually turned out to be a 2011 XF Portfolio map which unfortunately is a 385bhp N/A 5.0. Not the 470bhp S/C 5.0 that I have. So leading up to these findings I had tried to change my injector Teflon seals and eventually gave in and purchased 8 OEM injectors, 2 new HP pumps, in tank pump and a In tank pump flange. Well the last time I touched the injectors, I mistakenly tore an O ring on the rail side of the injector when installing the Rail. Luckily too. I had been chasing down lean codes and was stumped as to why nothing was helping. Anyways, I leaked a bunch of gas. But at this time I had my scanner plugged in and actually caught that the ECU was identifying itself as a Portfolio. Not a 5.0L supercharged. At that moment, the entire situation became much much clearer. I hadn’t thought of the tune being an issue because we’ll I figured a tuner who costs as much as said one does, should know wtf he was doing. But instead when I brought it up, I was told that there’s just a list he and a few other pull maps out of and typically have no issues and they don’t know exactly what it was for just a description or some horse **** excuse. But unless a customer complains they just don’t ever know. Well not knowing had at that point caused me lots of long *** nights, frustrated, questioning myself over and over and not to mention the $$$ spent. (Not exactly his fault that I changed all the parts but it wouldn’t have happened without him lol) I brought it up, got two new maps which I was hesitant to flash either but having gone through all this trouble, had to see if any of it would pay off. To my surprise both the Fueling AND my transmission issues literally ****ing disappeared before my eyes in the 15ish minutes it took me to flash the new Map. Word to anyone having any similar symptoms with a tuned vehicle, take a second and check what your ECU is identifying itself as. No not that horse s*** him/ he but rather Supercharged/ NA. Makes one hell of a difference. I apologize for such a long reply but there’s certainly a whole lot to be said about my experience with all of this. Fuel pressures are actually almost dead on for what I understand they should be, Fuel Pump Duty Cycle is still a question. But ya, anyways I hope someone down the line can use my ****ed up experience and save themselves the thousands I spent chasing a ****ed up tune.