XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Normal Coolant Temp

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Normal Coolant Temp

So I wrote on here a few times about my 2015 Portfolio SC that I got a couple months ago. Long story short it had high engine temp the day after I bought it. Dealership replaced auxiliary pump, thermostat, some sensor and the fan assembly. I have been driving it for a few weeks and no issues. I got me a OBD2 sensor that shows live data. When I would check the engine temp would be around 205-210F. When I looked at it tonight I noticed it was a little higher. It stays right at 215.6F. The only thing I did today that I haven’t before was turn on the AC in the early afternoon so at least 8 hours before noticing this temp. When I turn the heater on the temp drops down to 205. When I turn the AC on it jumps up to 220. Everywhere I’ve read it says 195-225 is in the normal range so technically it’s been within range but because of the issue when I first bought it, it scares me. Should I be worried? I check and the fan does turn on. It seems like it isn’t going fast but I’m not an expert. The reason they replaced the fan in the first place is because it was only turning on up to 30-40% automatically.

Thank you for any advice!

Old 01-07-2022, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Temperatures sound just about right from my experience with the 5.0 SC V-8. What engine do you have? Always helps to put full car details in your post. I think you also have the 5.0L? Kind of surprised with the over heating you had that the water pump was not changed or was it not leaking yet? Has it been replaced before this? As you know water pumps are the number one reason for over heating and blowing engines up. They have been revised at least 6 or 7 times and currently you want to run the one that the part number ends in 3909.

The AUX coolant pump is more for heater performance or are you talking about the SC AUX pump?

The thing to be worried about is the plastic cooling items. Now with a 2015 I "think" Jaguar had updated the plastic stuff to the smooth seams. So check you car to see what it has. Here is a thread where I tried to tell the person that they were installing the old style sure to fail parts. They did not listen and will be replacing all they did in the future when those square seam plastic pipes start leaking as they ALL will. Also don't forget the rear water manifold as it suffers from the same problem of the poorly made square seam parts.

Plastic Coolant Parts

You are wise to monitor the ACTUAL coolant temperature with an OBD device. I do the same thing as you simply can't trust the coolant gauge or more properly the coolant indicator as it does not move much regardless of the engine temperature. The fans are PWM so yes they will run at variable speeds as commanded by the ECM.

So enjoy your car as it appears to be operating as designed.

Old 01-08-2022, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Temperatures sound just about right from my experience with the 5.0 SC V-8. What engine do you have? Always helps to put full car details in your post. I think you also have the 5.0L? Kind of surprised with the over heating you had that the water pump was not changed or was it not leaking yet? Has it been replaced before this? As you know water pumps are the number one reason for over heating and blowing engines up. They have been revised at least 6 or 7 times and currently you want to run the one that the part number ends in 3909.

The AUX coolant pump is more for heater performance or are you talking about the SC AUX pump?

The thing to be worried about is the plastic cooling items. Now with a 2015 I "think" Jaguar had updated the plastic stuff to the smooth seams. So check you car to see what it has. Here is a thread where I tried to tell the person that they were installing the old style sure to fail parts. They did not listen and will be replacing all they did in the future when those square seam plastic pipes start leaking as they ALL will. Also don't forget the rear water manifold as it suffers from the same problem of the poorly made square seam parts.

Plastic Coolant Parts

You are wise to monitor the ACTUAL coolant temperature with an OBD device. I do the same thing as you simply can't trust the coolant gauge or more properly the coolant indicator as it does not move much regardless of the engine temperature. The fans are PWM so yes they will run at variable speeds as commanded by the ECM.

So enjoy your car as it appears to be operating as designed.
I have a 3.0 v6 supercharged. Sorry I haven’t figured out how to add it to my signature yet. It was the SC Aux pump that got replaced is what I was told. I will take it to the dealer next week to inspect those hoses because I noticed the coolant was under the minimum line today. The car has 59k miles and i am not sure if the water pump was ever replaced. I’m still monitoring the temperature and today it was hovering around 195F. At one point it did get down to 167. It worries me that it fluctuates so much. But maybe all cars do that when you have a obd2 sensor and not a gauge. Anyways thank you for your help.

Old 01-08-2022, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,472 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Sorry I got the engine wrong but I still think you are in the normal operating range.
Yes what your seeing is what's actually happening temperature wise to your engine and yes it does fluctuate around a good bit. But it's suppose to.

With the miles on your car the water pump may have been replaced already. On my 2014 XJR it started leaking at 32K miles when the dealer found and replaced it and at least the front of the engine plastic pipes. At that time I was unaware of the rear water manifold which has the same problems and needs to be replaced. I now have that part and will replace it when I pull the SC to replace the SC snout which is clunking.

Does your car have the square seam parts still?

You can also reuse the very large SC top gasket but since your taking it to the dealer that won't matter. If your a DIY guy that will save about $90-$100 by reusing that large top gasket. I again did not know that and purchased a new gasket.