XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

OEM subwoofer (under spare) retrofit to non-sub cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 08:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OEM subwoofer (under spare) retrofit to non-sub cars

Anyone install the OEM sub onto a non subwoofer system (i.e. the ~400W premium system)? Is it just plug and play?

I have a 2012 Portfolio with non-B&W system. 3 speakers in each front door, two in each rear door and I think a center dash speaker, unless if it's just a grille.

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The base audio system in the 2012MY XF, from VIN S20753 to S61361, only has a woofer and a tweeter in each door.

You can add the factory subwoofer, and the two additional door speakers to bring it up to "600W Premium" spec, but you also need to change the amplifier, and the Car Configuration File (CCF) needs to be changed to activate the additional functions in the touchscreen.

It's relatively easy to do, if you have access to a suitable diagnostic tool. Wherabouts are you in the US?

You could also upgrade to the 1200W B&W system in a similar fashion, it's just a matter of getting the correct amplifier, and adding the speakers to the parcel shelf and the dashboard (that spot is empty in your car).

Old 02-12-2017, 09:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Weird, I have 3 speakers in each front door, tweeter, mid and woofer. Verified all are producing sound.

Yeah, I've been reading the that most challenging part is changing the CCF. I'm located near San Francisco, CA.

The following users liked this post:
boostedxf (04-13-2022)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:24 PM

Well the 2012MY cars tend to be a bit hit & miss as they were often built with some bits from the 2011 model, some from the 2013 model, in more ways than one... so not that surprising...

You can see the difference between the three systems here;

OEM subwoofer (under spare) retrofit to non-sub cars-2012-400w.jpg

OEM subwoofer (under spare) retrofit to non-sub cars-2012-600w.jpg

OEM subwoofer (under spare) retrofit to non-sub cars-2012-1200w.jpg

I don't know anyone in California who has SDD and could do the CCF changes for you, been trying to find someone but haven't found them yet...

hendogg8 (02-12-2017)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steve

I have just fitted one into my 2013 xf it plugged in easy enough but it’s not working. I think the problem is the wiring loom is fitted as standard but not plugged into the back of the head unit. So the next job for me is to remove the head unit and check the connections. I will keep you informed, unless someone out there can put my in the right direction?

Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Steve israel
I have just fitted one into my 2013 xf it plugged in easy enough but it’s not working. I think the problem is the wiring loom is fitted as standard but not plugged into the back of the head unit. So the next job for me is to remove the head unit and check the connections. I will keep you informed, unless someone out there can put my in the right direction?
On a 2013 it's not a head unit issue, it's the amplifier, and the configuration file in the car.

All the 2012-2015's have an external amplifier, there are a three versions depending on the audio system; base (no sub), mid-level (sub, no surround), or the Surround.

The Base amp does not have any outputs for driving the subwoofer, even though it's all wired up from the factory.

You need to swap the amp, and the Car Configuration File needs updating to turn on the subwoofer functions.

Also the front door wiring is different on the base cars, needs a few wires moved around to split the front door channels up from 2 channel to 3 channel.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Default Steve

Thanks got your help saves me from taking out the head unit.
It seems like a lot of hard work just to get the spare wheel subwoofer working.

Steve

Old 01-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Well the 2012MY cars tend to be a bit hit & miss as they were often built with some bits from the 2011 model, some from the 2013 model, in more ways than one... so not that surprising...

You can see the difference between the three systems here;

Attachment 142675

Attachment 142676

Attachment 142677

I don't know anyone in California who has SDD and could do the CCF changes for you, been trying to find someone but haven't found them yet...
Hi Cambo,
Thank you for posting those diagrams.
Based on them, it seems that possible my 2012 XF Portfolio (S33135) would have the mid system, but I do not remember seeing any woofer in the trunk :/, on the spare wheel. Is that a hit or miss thing?
If I would plan to upgrade the amplifier, do you by any chance know the part number for the next up in line from mid tier?
Thanks!

Sorry hendogg8 - butting in your thread... just didn't feel like people would of been to happy if I started a new one on the same topic :|.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cambo
On a 2013 it's not a head unit issue, it's the amplifier, and the configuration file in the car.

All the 2012-2015's have an external amplifier, there are a three versions depending on the audio system; base (no sub), mid-level (sub, no surround), or the Surround.

The Base amp does not have any outputs for driving the subwoofer, even though it's all wired up from the factory.

You need to swap the amp, and the Car Configuration File needs updating to turn on the subwoofer functions.

Also the front door wiring is different on the base cars, needs a few wires moved around to split the front door channels up from 2 channel to 3 channel.
where dose the wiring need splitting? Is this all in the front doors? Do you just need to split the wiring loom in the doors and reconnect the mid channel?

Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Solved this now.
For anyone interested in doing this you need to change 4 connections on connector C44-Z
this is in the same location as the amp (just above)
you move pins 5,6,7,8 to 1,2,3,4 then the new amp powers the front door mid speakers.
Now just waiting for the new speakers to arrive.

Panthro (08-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 01:46 PM

👍

Last edited by Turk85; 04-17-2019 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 04-17-2019, 05:41 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Turk85, I have the 2012 XF Portfolio. For me it was getting the right amp and updating the CCF file. I also had the mid system on my car 3 speakers in each of the front doors (Bass, Mid and tweeter), two speakers in each the rear doors (mid and bass). No Sub. But I added that and it worked without any problems. No surround sound center speaker in the dash and none in the rear deck. I've added them though, but editing the CCF to work didn't seem to work out as apparently I have issues reprogramming the Premium Amp. I get surround out of the front speaker, none in the rear as the amp came from an F-Type. I've been trying to get this to work but got tired of the amps not programming properly and getting borked. I'm still trying to find someone in the Washington DC area to help me perform the programming. I have SDD but for what ever reason the system doesn't recognize the amp properly.
The only other issues are the sounds of the front parking sensor are very quiet. With the mid amp, it sounds fine. Also what is weird is that with the Mid amp the mid ranges of voice from my phone calls through bluetooth works well, but when I went with the High Amp or the Premium Amp, the voices are quieter and more high pitched like the system is not driving the mid speaker as loudly or the bass is not coming through as much when you are on a voice call.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 AM

I’m not an expert on this but I recon the amp you have is not suitable for the XF. Mine came from a XFR so I have just fitted it with the subwoofer and done the wiring changes for the midrange speakers and it’s all working. Just need to get the programming done so I have subwoofer Controlls on the head unit.

Old 05-02-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Turk85
I’m not an expert on this but I recon the amp you have is not suitable for the XF. Mine came from a XFR so I have just fitted it with the subwoofer and done the wiring changes for the midrange speakers and it’s all working. Just need to get the programming done so I have subwoofer Controlls on the head unit.
I'll have to take a look at wiring changes for the midrange speakers. I've done the CCF programming for the sub woofer controls on the head unit and surround sound, but the surround doesn't sound great.
Provide an update when you can.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:34 PM

Turk85, what model year is your car? I have a blue c-44z connector so I am thinking mine is already split and I am getting sound from my mids, though it may only be getting the twitter frequencies. I think my problem is programming the amp for the car. It sounds great with the sub but things like the front parking sensor is low in volume and poor bluetooth voice calls which only have tinny sound are troubling. Also, when I put in the premium surround amp, it doesn't power the rear surrounds for what ever reason. I put in the 2011 rear deck with the surround sound and rear screen, and did a change in the polarity of the cables as someone said I should do that.. May have to change that but I wouldn't think I wouldn't get any sound out of the rear surround. Probably an amp programming thing which I can't solve because SDD seems to not recognize the amps and borks them. Wish Cambo was in the US!

Last edited by harryf; 05-08-2019 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by harryf
Turk85, what model year is your car? I have a blue c-44z connector so I am thinking mine is already split and I am getting sound from my mids, though it may only be getting the twitter frequencies. I think my problem is programming the amp for the car. It sounds great with the sub but things like the front parking sensor is low in volume and poor bluetooth voice calls which only have tinny sound are troubling. Also, when I put in the premium surround amp, it doesn't power the rear surrounds for what ever reason. I put in the 2011 rear deck with the surround sound and rear screen, and did a change in the polarity of the cables as someone said I should do that.. May have to change that but I wouldn't think I wouldn't get any sound out of the rear surround. Probably an amp programming thing which I can't solve because SDD seems to not recognize the amps and borks them. Wish Cambo was in the US!
The c44z connecter one side is basically a jumper loop. You unplug it and move pins 5678 across to 1234 from memory I think. This then disconnects the midrange speaker from the tweeter channel and puts it to its dedicated mid channel. The wiring diagrams show the PIN numbers on the c44z connector.

Old 05-09-2019, 05:37 AM
Default Year

My car is a 2013

Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Turk85
Solved this now.
For anyone interested in doing this you need to change 4 connections on connector C44-Z
this is in the same location as the amp (just above)
you move pins 5,6,7,8 to 1,2,3,4 then the new amp powers the front door mid speakers.
Now just waiting for the new speakers to arrive.

Is C44-Z connector the same as C4ME22E?

Old 05-17-2019, 12:26 AM

Turk85, is the C44-z connector, connected to the amp? I'm wondering where the connector is.
Thanks! If you can take a picture of the right side of the picture it would help.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:19 AM
Default C44-z

Originally Posted by harryf
Turk85, is the C44-z connector, connected to the amp? I'm wondering where the connector is.
Thanks! If you can take a picture of the right side of the picture it would help.
I can’t take a pic of the other side as this was done from my local garage. The connector was just above the amp to the left. My car is a Sportbrake so may be different.
It was hidden behind a metal plate