XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change

Sorry guys, You've probably been asked this before but couldn't find the thread. Newbie XFR owner here and trying to determine how worried I should be that my Independent Import shop used Mobil 1 Synthetic instead of the Castrol blend from dealership.

Old 02-24-2016, 08:28 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

As long as the oil used meets this spec (WSS M2C925-A 5W-20) you should be fine.

The following users liked this post:
Matthew Gouin (02-25-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Here we go again. Mobil 1 does NOT "meet" that spec. The oil manufacturer claims it is "suitable for use" in that application. Jaguar says you should use oil that meets the spec.
So, someone with a reasonable understanding of the English language and what the words "meets specifications" means can decide for themselves whether they want to use Mobil 1.

Although it is hard (for me) to believe, there are folks here that try to argue that those words mean the same thing. And then others quote federal warranty laws on whether you must use one brand or another, which really has no bearing on whether a brand meets the spec or not.

If you have a CPO warranty, why not call the dealer you expect to use for warranty claims and ask them? Unless you plan to hire an attorney to fight Jaguar in case of a problem, then the dealer's opinion (and Jaguar's) is really the only opinion that matters! If you do not, I agree it is probably fine to use oil "suitable for use".

Last edited by sparkenzap; 02-24-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:47 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Ditto what those guys said. Also, not sure how literally you meant it but the Castol called for is a full synthetic not a blend. Some people are having a hard time finding SLX but the Castrol Edge Professional should be easy to find for most and it meets the specs.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:32 AM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 390 Posts

Only other oil that meets Jag's Specs that I found and trust is:

Red Line 5w20

The following 2 users liked this post by DPK:
Jaaaggg (02-26-2016), Matthew Gouin (02-25-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.. I just called the dealership in Hilton Head, SC and they said using Mobil 1 is perfectly fine. I will be using the Castrol anyways going forward because I want things done right, but needed to know how severe the issue was.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 AM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matthew Gouin
Thanks.. I just called the dealership in Hilton Head, SC and they said using Mobil 1 is perfectly fine. I will be using the Castrol anyways going forward because I want things done right, but needed to know how severe the issue was.
I think you'll be fine...the Jag spec which really is a Ford Spec..(WSS M2C925-A 5W-20) is for extended run time oil, and now that Jag sets the limits at 12,000 miles or one year, they wanted an oil to hold up for that length of time..Land Rover does the same thing and calls out the same spec also..

So If it were me..I'd change out the Mobil 1 sooner than the recommended Jaguar scheduled time of 12,000 miles or one year...say 5000 to 6000 miles and get back on Castrol OE Professional, or the Red Line I mentioned earlier.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Here we go again. Mobil 1 does NOT "meet" that spec. The oil manufacturer claims it is "suitable for use" in that application. Jaguar says you should use oil that meets the spec.
So, someone with a reasonable understanding of the English language and what the words "meets specifications" means can decide for themselves whether they want to use Mobil 1.

Although it is hard (for me) to believe, there are folks here that try to argue that those words mean the same thing. And then others quote federal warranty laws on whether you must use one brand or another, which really has no bearing on whether a brand meets the spec or not.

If you have a CPO warranty, why not call the dealer you expect to use for warranty claims and ask them? Unless you plan to hire an attorney to fight Jaguar in case of a problem, then the dealer's opinion (and Jaguar's) is really the only opinion that matters! If you do not, I agree it is probably fine to use oil "suitable for use".
WELL SAID!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Lol..such ****ing nerds..I swear...gotta say..I love ya.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member

I mean really...this is a car..it's not like you are investing your f'ing family fortune into whether or not the warranty will cover you if you used the wrong oil..do you think they will actually check what oil you used!!!!...lol....sorry, I'm sure someone will rebutal, but ****ing hell man...do you think the car will conk out because of a different spec. Of oil,...if so then the car is not worth buying or keeping. Do you have the funds to pump $1,100 into the engine upkeep every year or not? If you want to keep the engine as you would a high end car, then that is what it will take. If you just want to drive the godam beast into the ground, then put whatever oil you want into the crank and go about your business. Then get another one. It's not going to matter either way.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-26-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Etip (02-26-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 AM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Note to self, never buy a car from Cherry 560sel.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member

Well, they go to the trouble of putting a ultraviolet dye in the oil for the sole purpose of identification, and the CPO documentation that came with my XFR delivered by Hennessy Jaguar had a separate piece of paper that I signed a copy of, which dealt with one topic- the requirement to use oil with the WSS M2C925-A 5W20 specification. So, ahem, YES, I do believe they MIGHT check what oil is in it if there was an engine failure.

Old 02-27-2016, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Overblown
Note to self, never buy a car from Cherry 560sel.
Hahaha...you won't buy it from me. You will buy it from the dealer that I traded it in at

Old 02-27-2016, 03:41 AM
Veteran Member

Well, they go to the trouble of putting a ultraviolet dye in the oil for the sole purpose of identification, and the CPO documentation that came with my XFR delivered by Hennessy Jaguar had a separate piece of paper that I signed a copy of, which dealt with one topic- the requirement to use oil with the WSS M2C925-A 5W20 specification. So, ahem, YES, I do believe they MIGHT check what oil is in it if there was an engine failure.
Strange that you were forced to sign that. Never heard of anything like that. I would have told them to shove it. I was not asked to sign anything like that for my extended warranty at the Jag dealership here. Do you have a link that I can read describing this ultraviolet dye additive. I can't sleep and I am sure reading that would help me out.

And btw...I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here and I apologize to those that I offended by my comment. Just having fun with you guys.

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-27-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

No offense taken! In general, I agree with your general position. As far as "telling them to shove it", when you do any negotiation, you need to decide what is important and what is not. Since I felt like my CPO warranty was coming at the right price (nearly free), after days of negotiation on the car price, I determined that it made no difference to me if I used the "right" oil or not. If I find the paper, I will post a scan of it. BTW, my guess is that you have never read a new car contract before signing IT!

Have a look at this link for the dye. Look at the last paragraph. Of course, it is characterized by a way for the customer to know the right oil has been put in at an oil change. Yeah, right, I'll just poke my UV light down in the fill hole with a mirror and look at the wash on the wall!
Castrol EDGE Professional

Last edited by sparkenzap; 02-27-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
I think you'll be fine...the Jag spec which really is a Ford Spec..(WSS M2C925-A 5W-20) is for extended run time oil, and now that Jag sets the limits at 12,000 miles or one year, they wanted an oil to hold up for that length of time..Land Rover does the same thing and calls out the same spec also..

So If it were me..I'd change out the Mobil 1 sooner than the recommended Jaguar scheduled time of 12,000 miles or one year...say 5000 to 6000 miles and get back on Castrol OE Professional, or the Red Line I mentioned earlier.
They recommend 12,000 miles now and not 15,000 which is the recommend interval on my 2011??

Old 02-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

No offense taken! In general, I agree with your general position. As far as "telling them to shove it", when you do any negotiation, you need to decide what is important and what is not. Since I felt like my CPO warranty was coming at the right price (nearly free), after days of negotiation on the car price, I determined that it made no difference to me if I used the "right" oil or not. If I find the paper, I will post a scan of it. BTW, my guess is that you have never read a new car contract before signing IT!

Have a look at this link for the dye. Look at the last paragraph. Of course, it is characterized by a way for the customer to know the right oil has been put in at an oil change. Yeah, right, I'll just poke my UV light down in the fill hole with a mirror and look at the wash on the wall!
Castrol EDGE Professional
You are, for the most part, right. I never have read very line of a car PURCHASING AGREEMENT. I am SO looking forward to going through all that and finding where they mention that I must use their brand of oil or their warranty will be inapplicable to anything that may go wrong with the car. The article link is interesting. Next time I go in for service I will talk to the service advisor and ask him to show me my glowing oil. If it doesn't glow I am going to raise a **** fit!

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 02-27-2016 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
They recommend 12,000 miles now and not 15,000 which is the recommend interval on my 2011??
I personally feel that such a high interval between oil changes is what contributes to many instances of lifter tick noise that plagues a lot of the V8 cars these days. I plan to get mine changed every 5,000 miles and Just let the dealership worry about what oil to put in it.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:19 PM
DPK
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by boiler
Okay..were you the original poster?..Unless you missed it, I was speaking in generalities based on my 2012..besides, he made no mention what year his was..

Old 02-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DPK
Okay..were you the original poster?..Unless you missed it, I was speaking in generalities based on my 2012..besides, he made no mention what year his was..
YOU are the one that brought up 12,000 mile interval between changes, I was simply asking for clarification if jaguar changed the interval from 15,000 to 12,000 on the newer cars.

Why would they decrease the interval when the same engine and oil are used from 2011 to 2015??

Quick Reply: Oil Change