XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Oil Changes with the Pump Acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 02:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Oil Changes with the Pump Acceptable?

Techs can jump in but my local Jaguar Service Centre and many others are using the Pumps to extract the oil and do quick oil changes. Is this the recommended procedure by JLR?

If I do not have to lift the car then I might as well do the oil changes my self by buying one of these pumps and change my oil more regularly rather than pay the dealership.

Anyone else doing it this way? Draining it might not be necessary if you change the oil double the frequency.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by hen555
Techs can jump in but my local Jaguar Service Centre and many others are using the Pumps to extract the oil and do quick oil changes. Is this the recommended procedure by JLR?

If I do not have to lift the car then I might as well do the oil changes my self by buying one of these pumps and change my oil more regularly rather than pay the dealership.

Anyone else doing it this way? Draining it might not be necessary if you change the oil double the frequency.
I always used to jack the car up and drain via the sump plug as I assumed that would remove more of the old oil than the vacuum pump from the top method.
But then someone posted a pic of the sump pan showing where the end of extraction tube sat, about 5 mm off the bottom of the pan, and someone else posted a pic of the inside of the sump pan showing the drain hole, and it looked to me that the bottom edge of the drain hole was near as dammit to the same 5 mm or so off the bottom (as you know the sump/drain plug on the AJ133 and AJ126 is on the side of the sump not the very bottom).
So I figured that the amount of old oil left in the bottom of the sump would be pretty much the same either way, and if 99% of JLR dealerships use the extraction tube method then surely it must be OK.
So I bought myself an extraction pump and have used that method the last few oil changes - waaaaaay easier than jacking the car up and scrabbling around underneath removing a million bolts to take the under-tray off to access the sump plug. I haven't measured exactly how much oil came out either way so I can't give a definitive answer as to which method removes more of the old oil.
I change the oil every six months and have done so for years coz 90% of my driving is very short trips which is bad for the oil.
I also followed a tip from Queen & Country during the last oil change ( a month ago now) where I poured about a litre of fresh oil down the oil filter hole (after having pumped the sump out) to flush more old oil out of the galleries, and yes when I pumped that litre out again it had a fair bit of black dirty oil mixed in with it.
Bottom line - use a vacuum pump, muuuuuch easier!

The following users liked this post:
SunFlower (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

That was my pic - here's where the extraction pipe sits inside the sump extension

The following 2 users liked this post by davetibbs:
OzXFR (02-10-2020), SunFlower (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 05:29 AM
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I also do my oil changes with the extraction pump. It IS a very easy procedure and no mess whatsoever.

Old 02-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

i've done both ways. yes, way easier with extraction pump.

no, i didn't use a $90+ model, i used a $5 fluid transfer pump from harbor freight. doesn't take as long as you'd think.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

The annual oil change interval from JLR seems much too long for our engines. Can anyone suggest recommended oil extraction pumps on the market. I’d like doing my own changes every 6 month in addition to the annual one done by the dealer under my warranty.

Thanks!

Old 04-26-2023, 05:55 PM
Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

As you have an F Type, you’ll want to post in that forum.

This is the one I use for my Type and Pace. https://www.harborfreight.com/pneuma...=oil+extractor

I change my oil every 5,000 miles.

Old 04-26-2023, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,209 Likes on 2,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark7Seven
The annual oil change interval from JLR seems much too long for our engines. Can anyone suggest recommended oil extraction pumps on the market. I’d like doing my own changes every 6 month in addition to the annual one done by the dealer under my warranty.

Thanks!
Heaps of them on Fleabay, that's where I got my cheap no-name Chinesium one from many years ago and it still works perfectly. Only problem is that it only takes around 6.5 litres and the F-Type V6 and V8 sump holds around 7 litres so I have to stop part way through the drain process and empty the container. No biggie but better to get one that takes at least 8 litres. For a high quality high capacity pump many around here use a Mityvac which costs a fair bit more than a cheap Chinesium one.
And yes 12 months is a stupid long oil change interval for these engines (AJ133 and AJ126), much better to change the oil every six months.