XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Oil level sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Oil level sensor.

Can the oil level sensor give erroneous readings and still not set a code?

I had the check engine light come on, related to cam timing. Going on line, it said one possible cause was low oil. I checked it, and the bar was 1/2. Took it in, the dealer said I was 1 1/2 qts low.

I am **** when it comes to checking oil. The car is driven to work every day (25 miles) and parked in the same flat spot (my driveway is inclined). Some days the oil shows a full bar, and other days 1/2. A few days after the oil change (I had it done because of the low level), it showed overfilled. The next time it showed a full bar. I talked to the dealer and says that it would set a code if the readings were erroneous. The dealer did not check the oil level before he did the change.

I have talked to the dealer and am to bring the car back in month where they will suck out the oil and compare it to the guage.

Since Jaguar, in it's wisdom (or lack thereof) eliminated the dip stick, how can I be sure the oil level reading is correct?

Old 11-08-2017, 12:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

I'm not sure I agree with the dealer about the code. The oil level got low enough in my engine to spin two connecting rod bearings and I never saw a single warning, nor were any related codes thrown.

What's interesting is that my handbook (MY2010) doesn't mention this, but later owner's handbooks specifically state

The engine oil level is not monitored when the engine is running, or when the vehicle is in motion.
My owner's handbook does however say

It is recommended that the oil level is
checked weekly. If any significant or
sudden drop in oil level is noted you should
seek qualified assistance immediately.
I freely admit to not doing this, mainly because the sensor is apparently so unreliable (though of course I did stick to the service schedule and used the correct oil) and I guess it cost me.

Last edited by davetibbs; 11-08-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts

While we're on the subject of oil sensors, did you know that the 5.0 V8 (and the later 3.0 V6) engine also has no oil pressure sensor?

I'm sure we've all wondered about the rationale of losing the dipstick, but not having a simple pressure switch seems pretty remiss to me, especially as checking of the oil level is a manual action required by the driver. Maybe the engineers just reasoned that by the time the light comes on, the damage is already done?

Old 11-08-2017, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Check F-type forums, this subject was discussed at length.

The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (11-08-2017)
Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Same issue

Did you ever sort this out, my 2010 xfr does the same thing goes from level ok to add 0.5 l, to see handbook.
Maybe the oil level the sensor is faulty or dirty.