XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Online Battery Date decoder and battery change

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 12:21 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Online Battery Date decoder and battery change

My 2013 XF AWD had the random "battery not charging, gearbox failure" lights so I decided to buy a new battery.

The battery seemed original, had Jaguar label, but I was unsure if it had ever been replaced, I bought the car used from a Jaguar dealer.

Not sure if replacement batteries were ever FIAMM l looked into it and the replacements from Jaguar are not FIAMM at least here in the states, they use interstate now it seems but no one could tell me if they ever used FIAMM as replacements when they swapped them out years ago,

Anyway, I found a online batter decoder that you can use and put in the code from any brand and then it tells you the manufacturing date,

online battery decoder for FIAMM

Find your battery manufacture date

Mine was made in Nov 2013, time to change it out. What a Bear...Pulled back the cover and slid it back out of the way, its better than using the clip to hold it up, give way more room.
The battery weighs 62 lbs and sits down in the trunk. Tight fit, had to remove the plastic trim on the trunk lip and the little stop/start battery to bend the bracket out of the way.

I Sheared of the bolt for the top of the battery holder it was corroded in there, Should have sprayed it with penetrating oil (on both ends, the lower bolt was tough too).

I got an Odyssey Performance series 94-950 as recommended on thier site battery (got top marks from Consumer Reports. It has 950 CCA - 50 more than the required. Fit great

Bought from FCP Euro, they warrant ALL parts for life (even wear parts) I hope I won;t need another before I pick up a new car, but it nice to have. I Paid $256 including shipping

I have a charging port connected to th battery at all times, added it because I let the car sit for long periods when I travel The connection I got has a little led that tells you how charged the battery.. Nice to see when I open the trunk after a trip and know its going to start. Amazing to see how it drains when left, got down to 25 % a few times in 10 days, but that it why I decided to swap it out, as well, we will see if the new battery hods up longer when sitting. It's $9, good deal for some peace of mind with these high energy drawing cars

NOCO battery indicator charging port NOCO battery indicator charging port

I keep a NOCO 1.1 amp Battery portable battery maintainer in the trunk, its small in size and amps and it takes a while to charge a dead battery, but mine has never gotten that bad. They have some in higher amps but this works for me. I am going to pick up a lithium jump pack from them as well and leave that in the car, they are very small but powerful I hope I never need it but have helped jump people who need one the past with my large one.

I keep the maintainer hooked up while changing the battery out, Never done that before but was thinking ti may keep all the settings live while the battery is out (if the car's draw is less than 1.1 amps and i should hope it would be. I did check and some folks said it was a good idea for other cars.

Here are a few pics of interest perhaps. Wanted to show installing the plastic shroud in the back, it is always hard to figure those things out. You just remove the plastic stays using a Phillips screwdriver to back it out and pull it til it just about out and it allows the to contract and pull out. I used a mini prybar to extract them buy placing it under the round seat of the rivet. The shroud pulls straight up. it has plastic 4 "hook clips"

More pics:

Rear cover off an d clips

Slots where the plastic clips of rear cover go

Remove start/stop battery and ebnd bracket out of the way

Rivet removed