XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Paddle Shifters only in 'S' mode?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Paddle Shifters only in 'S' mode?

My 2010 premium has the paddle funcions available in D, or S.
I understand from the 2011 models they disabled this, except in the XFR, since some old ladies with fat fingers full of diamond rings were complaining.
This would be a deal breaker for me when my lease is up.
Is there a way for the dealer to easily re-program the system, so the paddle shifting is available in 'D' also?
That would be a pre-condition for me to get into my next XF (supercharged hopefully.....)

Old 08-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, the dealer can reprogram that function back in.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was actually thinking of going the other way, asking the dealer to disable the paddles in D on my 2011 XFR. I have inadvertently shifted down while turning the wheel a few times now (although not for a little while, maybe I am getting used to it?). And my fingers aint fat or full of diamonds! The paddles are too close to the rim, simple as that.

One question about being in S and Dynamic mode - I am aware that the auto upchange at the red line is removed in this mode/combo of modes, but if I downchange too early in that mode, will it let me do that?

And another thing (sorry for the thread hijack) - if I were to move the drive select dial into R while zooming along, would it let me do that? Obviously I haven't tried it, but being new to the car and finding the dial slightly unintuitive, it has crossed my mind as a potential hazard...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2012 XF has paddles that work in D or S although there was some supplemental documentation stating the paddle would only work in S.

Old 10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by darlo
i was actually thinking of going the other way, asking the dealer to disable the paddles in d on my 2011 xfr. I have inadvertently shifted down while turning the wheel a few times now (although not for a little while, maybe i am getting used to it?). And my fingers aint fat or full of diamonds! The paddles are too close to the rim, simple as that.

One question about being in s and dynamic mode - i am aware that the auto upchange at the red line is removed in this mode/combo of modes, but if i downchange too early in that mode, will it let me do that?

And another thing (sorry for the thread hijack) - if i were to move the drive select dial into r while zooming along, would it let me do that? Obviously i haven't tried it, but being new to the car and finding the dial slightly unintuitive, it has crossed my mind as a potential hazard...
you can turn the shifter into any gear while moving, park, reverse, etc...being electronically connected, the trans is not gonna let you do something stupiD, so you can selEct reverse all day or park while moving and it will not go there but yes it while going into other forward modes while driving

Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 204 Likes on 156 Posts

You can move the dial from D to S while driving and the computer will re-map and run in S mode just fine. You can flip it back to D and it will return back to normal. As mentioned above it won't let you flip into park or reverse while in D. You can even turn the car off when you aren't in park and the car will put it in park for you.

Last edited by Blackcoog; 10-06-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Being a Brit, and living in the US, I felt that it was only right to have a British built car. I've ordered the 2012 XF Portfolio, with the Sport Package and a few other options, and should pick up the car tomorrow if all goes well.

I'm particularly bothered by the paddles not working in 'D' mode, as this is what really attracted me to the car in the first place, having come from a string of manual (stick shift) cars I really like the option to temporarily switch to manual mode. I really dislike the concept of kick down because it feels like an all or nothing experience; sometimes I want to drop down just one gear and accelerate a little quicker than the current gear without really flooring it.

I've asked the dealer to look into getting this feature re-enabled as has been suggested here, but haven't heard anything back from them yet. JJAustin / Vette Owner / Anyone else, could you confirm that you have had or seen this modification done, and give any information about it so that I can argue with the dealer if they claim that it's not possible.

Thanks very much for your help!

Neil.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2012 car came that way, I never had to do anything. My car was the first one the dealership received so out was a very early model.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 261 Posts

If it helps I was of the same view, coming from manual shift cars. However, in the real world I never use the paddles from D. The ZF transmission works so well I hardly ever use S either!

If you can't get the software changed back to Euro spec I'd just try it for a while before I got exercised about this function missing. Selecting S on the rotary selector becomes second nature after a while on the odd occasion when you feel the urge to waste some fuel!

Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 AM

I took delivery of my car yesterday, and I am 99% happy with it... the remaining 1% dis-satisfaction comes from this gearbox issue which the dealer said they were unable to do.

The service manager says that he hasn't given up yet, and indeed I have not given up either! I'll be emailing Jaguar in the UK to get there advice too, using this thread as a reference to those that have already had it done.

Thanks for your comments Jagular, I may find that I get used to it missing as well, but I have to say that it was one of the top reasons I like the XF during test drives, and I was really frustrated when I found that the feature wouldn't be there on my car.

I'll keep the thread updated with the result!

Neil.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes, keep at it. I actually like the ability to instantly shift gears using the paddles from D. I don't do it often, but having come from a full manual transmission in my last sports sedan, I appreciate the option.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member

If you still feel the same way after four years I'll be surprised.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2011 XF premium allows paddle shifting in D or S. Is this a regional issue?

Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve in SoCal
My 2011 XF premium allows paddle shifting in D or S. Is this a regional issue?
Same here, it may be a12MY change.
However , i cannot change from D to S while going at any speed.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Per
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
you can turn the shifter into any gear while moving, park, reverse, etc...being electronically connected, the trans is not gonna let you do something stupiD, so you can selEct reverse all day or park while moving and it will not go there but yes it while going into other forward modes while driving
True, and even if you try the paddles won't let you go down too far. In addition, mine won't let me go directly from S to anything beyond D without a pause in D even when standing still with the foot on the brake.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

MY12 here. No paddle shifters in D. Available in S. Can change between D and S even when driving by simply depressing the dial and turning.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

To select reverse you need to apply the foot brake. There is an exception allowing you to alternate from D to R and back to rock the car if stuck. There is a limit on when this will be permitted by the selector.

Selecting D and S or back again can be done at any time without braking. The transmission may not switch exactly when you make the selection but it will do it.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Well I'll clear up one thing for everyone............

The paddle operation in Drive can easily be toggled on or off by the dealer with the IDS/SDD diagnostic equipment. I don't understand this business of the dealer having to "find out how to do it".

Attached are screens showing the application that does it within SDD.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails Paddle Shifters only in 'S' mode?-paddle-shift-application.jpg   Paddle Shifters only in 'S' mode?-paddle-shift-02.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Need4Spd (01-16-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 09:35 AM

XJR Guy, is this the case with non-supercharged versions of the car like mine as well. I'd go back to the dealer and show them the screen shots, but they told me that they tried the obvious methods and have thus far failed.

The dealer did mention that they've had some cars come in with the paddles working in 'D', and had to disable the function. They've also had XF Supercharged and XFR customers complain and ask for them to be disabled. So far however, no-one (apart from me) that requested the change to enable them.

Neil.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Nezil
XJR Guy, is this the case with non-supercharged versions of the car like mine as well. I'd go back to the dealer and show them the screen shots, but they told me that they tried the obvious methods and have thus far failed.

The dealer did mention that they've had some cars come in with the paddles working in 'D', and had to disable the function. They've also had XF Supercharged and XFR customers complain and ask for them to be disabled. So far however, no-one (apart from me) that requested the change to enable them.

Neil.
Until such time as they take the application away from us, this would apply to normally aspirated and supercharged alike. We have had both, some had the function in drive and wanted it turned off, and others missed it and wanted it enabled. I'll do what ever makes the owner happy!

Cheers,

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters only in 'S' mode?