XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Paddle Shifters only in 'S' mode?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

I agree with Steve, someone doesnt kow what the hell theyre doing. not we cannot know EVERYTHING and Jaguar changes stuff all the time. But if you should them the screens shots they should have back paddled and then gone forward. Now ORIGINALLY, jaguar did pull the feature as part of a service campaign. Until some owners complained that they liked it in drive(I do too, because it takes alittle to switch into S, if youre already there and want to downshift on the highway etc its much faster).
So they then changed it to a seperate function instead of a 1 size for all. This applies to all paddle shifted cars, its a dealer programmable feature. And one day maybe theyll make alot more features owner selectable...till then

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Jose British Motors should be able to do it for you. They have done it before. Don't ask me how I know since I was asked to keep it to myself.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On a recent service visit I requested that the paddle shifters be disabled in D (fat finger problem) and dealer said they could do the reprogramming but it would cost approx $125 to do it. I felt dealer should have performed the programing for free. Nevertheless, paddles still work in D.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by nsl1
On a recent service visit I requested that the paddle shifters be disabled in D (fat finger problem) and dealer said they could do the reprogramming but it would cost approx $125 to do it. I felt dealer should have performed the programing for free. Nevertheless, paddles still work in D.
Most dealers, us included, will set the car up the way the purchaser wants it at the time of delivery. For instance, here we set all cars up with Daytime Running Lights, for convention, all cars the same. If the new owner wants them turned off, we turn them off. They are then advised, if they desire any changes at a later date, there will be a charge. It's only fair, there is more to it than 'flipping a switch'.

Cheers,

Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So after getting such an overwhelming response on these forums that this should be possible, I contacted Jaguar US and told them about the story I'd had so far. They agreed that it would be possible, and that the dealer I bought the car from should have done this before I picked up the vehicle as requested.

Jaguar US contacted the dealer, explained how to make the change, and requested that they do this work at no charge. I ended up taking my car back in last week, but the dealer was still unable to make the change!

The head service engineer spent some time on the phone with Jaguar, who kept giving him a document that detailed how to make the change on vehicles up to VIN numbers ending in S05086; my vehicle's VIN ends S35793.

The service manager believes that the engineering document is only applicable to MY2011 vehicles, and not MY2012 ones like mine. When my car is connected to the computer system, the options shown in the screen shots earlier in this thread don't show up apparently, and this is the reason that he was unable to make this change before I picked up the car as well... he did try, but failed, now twice!

I showed the service manager this forum thread, and he suggested that I reach out to the two 'Tech Certified' members on here, XJRGuy and Brutal, for help. If anyone knows a solution to this, both the service manager and I would love to hear from you. Please post on here, or PM me if you'd be willing to lend a hand, and I can put you in touch with the service manager that I've been working with at my local dealer.

Thanks in advance!

Neil.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Nezil
So after getting such an overwhelming response on these forums that this should be possible, I contacted Jaguar US and told them about the story I'd had so far. They agreed that it would be possible, and that the dealer I bought the car from should have done this before I picked up the vehicle as requested.

Jaguar US contacted the dealer, explained how to make the change, and requested that they do this work at no charge. I ended up taking my car back in last week, but the dealer was still unable to make the change!

The head service engineer spent some time on the phone with Jaguar, who kept giving him a document that detailed how to make the change on vehicles up to VIN numbers ending in S05086; my vehicle's VIN ends S35793.

The service manager believes that the engineering document is only applicable to MY2011 vehicles, and not MY2012 ones like mine. When my car is connected to the computer system, the options shown in the screen shots earlier in this thread don't show up apparently, and this is the reason that he was unable to make this change before I picked up the car as well... he did try, but failed, now twice!

I showed the service manager this forum thread, and he suggested that I reach out to the two 'Tech Certified' members on here, XJRGuy and Brutal, for help. If anyone knows a solution to this, both the service manager and I would love to hear from you. Please post on here, or PM me if you'd be willing to lend a hand, and I can put you in touch with the service manager that I've been working with at my local dealer.

Thanks in advance!

Neil.
Well, I've confirmed it with our machines......the application has been taken away from us, as I had mentioned was possible before. I would suspect that they dropped it from the list in SDD because the bulletin operation referred to was actually closed in April 2011. That would mean that until such time as owners scream loud enough, we're stuck not being able to toggle the function for them. I have yet to test this for the earlier cars, as time and vehicles allow I'll do that.

Sorry folks.......might be time for a call in campaign!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 PM

Thanks very much for getting back to me Steve (XJRGuy), that helps a lot. I'll make a call to Jaguar USA again and complain a little more strongly now, seeing as both the dealer and Jaguary USA claimed it was possible... backtracking now would be very bad form.

I'll keep the forum updated with my results... which me luck!

Neil.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

Thanks very much for getting back to me Steve (XJRGuy), that helps a lot. I'll make a call to Jaguar USA again and complain a little more strongly now, seeing as both the dealer and Jaguary USA claimed it was possible... backtracking now would be very bad form.

I'll keep the forum updated with my results... which me luck!

Neil.
Just remember, they were not fibbing to you, it used to be there. The people maintaining the diagnostic software have just deleted the function, unbeknownst to all the rest of us. You just need to make your feelings known, so they might be motivated to put it back.

Good luck!

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

I've put the call in to Jaguar USA, and they've opened a new case number for me... The saga continues.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Just noticed your next message Steve, I've made it very clear to Jaguar USA that it's not a service problem, and that they've been extremely helpful so far.

It's appears to be a problem with the management of the service software, which is out of the dealer's hands.

The reason I feel so frustrated is that although I'm extremely happy with the car, the gearbox was one of the major purchase factors influencing my choice over other brands. I'm not saying that I definitely wouldn't have made the choice to buy a Jaguar if this feature didn't exist, but I might have spent longer looking at other vehicles, and the possibility is there.

The other thing that's irritating is that this is obviously a software feature, and something that's very easy for someone to just change/add to the system. I just hope that it's seen as such, and the feature re-enabled in your service software for me and all the other drivers out there who would like direct access to a 'Temporary Manual' mode.

Neil.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM

Just noticed your next message Steve, I've made it very clear to Jaguar USA that it's not a service problem, and that they've been extremely helpful so far.

It's appears to be a problem with the management of the service software, which is out of the dealer's hands.

The reason I feel so frustrated is that although I'm extremely happy with the car, the gearbox was one of the major purchase factors influencing my choice over other brands. I'm not saying that I definitely wouldn't have made the choice to buy a Jaguar if this feature didn't exist, but I might have spent longer looking at other vehicles, and the possibility is there.

The other thing that's irritating is that this is obviously a software feature, and something that's very easy for someone to just change/add to the system. I just hope that it's seen as such, and the feature re-enabled in your service software for me and all the other drivers out there who would like direct access to a 'Temporary Manual' mode.

Neil.
I agree with you 110%. The only comment I can make in their defense is, you have no idea what they must go through here in the states, to get a "modification" certified. By that I mean getting some change, software or otherwise, "approved" by the stupid EPA. I don't care what it is, if SOMEONE, ANYWHERE in the Federal government, can construe ANY change to a motor vehicle as having ANY effect on MPG or emissions, they have to get it certified by the EPA.
Now, I'm not telling you that's a fact in this case, but it could play a roll. Face it, someone using the paddles is not doing it for MPG, they are doing it for FUN. Tree huggers and the EPA do not like that, they have been vaccinated against FUN and fossil fuel.

My two cents......

Old 02-23-2012, 01:08 PM

Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind.

I've had a call back from Jaguar US, just letting me know that they're still working on a solution for me. No progress yet, it was more of a courtesy call.

Neil.

Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM

Impressive.......

That's actually more than I would have expected at this point. Keep us posted.