XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Painfull first few months of Xfr ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017 | 01:41 PM
|
Default Painfull first few months of Xfr ownership

Hi all. I got my 2010 xfr in April 2017 with 52k and a warranty thankfully. In the last 4 months the following faults have occured;

1. Windscreen wash fluid low. This needed a new float switch and pump as old pump was leaking fluid into the loom.

2. New water pump. Bearings failed and pulley was all over the place. No fluid lost though.

3. Now the a/c condenser has developed a leak and needs replacing.

Is this typical of Jaguar ownership? Or am I just unlucky? Bet its the latter lol.

I have owned Subaru Sti's for the last 11 years and never had so much go wrong with them in such a short space of time. I love the Jag but that love is tarnishing with these faults/breakages. Im losing faith in the car tbh.

I did not get the impression they were any less reliable than other cars when i did my research before i purchased the car. But if this unreliability continues im going to have to get rid.

If you have had your xf for a while, whats your experience? Thankfully the warranty has been good intil now but its still a pita.

Old 08-04-2017 | 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Wrong forum....you need X250. I've read where your failures aren't unusual, but not common.

Old 08-05-2017 | 04:05 AM
|

Thanks. Mods please delete

Old 08-08-2017 | 06:58 PM
Default 2009 XF.

1. Expansion tank nipped break.
Tank replaced.
2. New expansion tank cracked. Stranded. Tow truck, taxi.
3. Bottom hose popped off. Stranded. Tow truck, Uber ride. Fixed over head phantom dome light. No charge.
4. Two worn rear tires replaced.
5. Screw flung out of front tire. Tire replaced.
6. Whiney bearings. Front left wheel hub assembly replaced.
7. Cracked thermostat housing.
8. Water pump going out. #7 & #8 replaced.
9. Lower rocker arm assembly leaking. Not replaced yet.
10. occasional Battery low warning. Not replaced yet.
11. Both key FOB batteries low Warning. Not replaced yet.
12. Occasional Tire Pressure Monitoring System fault warning. Sending unit Not replaced yet.
13. One headlight bulb burnt out. Bulb replaced.
back to #9. Lower rocker arm not leaking, but a transmission mount was.
14. Had transmission mount replaced along with the
15. Air bag recall replaced.
16. Rear brake pads and rotors. (Don't go with the original manufacturers break pads, I've never seen so much black break dust!)
I hope that's all for a while! Buying a used car, I just expected some of these one time fixes and general maintenance like breaks and bulbs. But I'm embarrassed to say, there's been a lot of repairs needed.

Old 08-09-2017 | 08:28 AM
pab
Veteran Member

Again, you're on the wrong forum, you have an X250 XF not an X260 one.

The forum you want is listed under Jaguar Models (Modern).

=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
'08 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 "Satin Edition" (250.06 whp / 259.67 torque)

Old 08-10-2017 | 08:18 AM

I had assumed this had been moved over and that's why I was seeing it. As always, I could be wrong. So SORRY.

Old 08-12-2017 | 04:02 PM
Banned

I really like my '09 XF, but I'm afraid that I've about had it with all of the problems. Owning a luxury car doesn't mean a lot if there are so many problems. I'm looking toward Germany for my next luxury vehicle.

Old 08-13-2017 | 01:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Quicktruck
I really like my '09 XF, but I'm afraid that I've about had it with all of the problems. Owning a luxury car doesn't mean a lot if there are so many problems. I'm looking toward Germany for my next luxury vehicle.
Are you planning on leasing? I'm guessing any luxury car that is almost 10 years old is going to have issues.

Old 08-13-2017 | 10:08 AM
Banned

I've never considered leasing, but I get your point. Our Lexus never had a problem until somebody sideswiped me and put a minor crease in both doors for which the insurance company totalled it. That led to our XF.

Old 08-17-2017 | 04:34 PM

Is this typical of Jaguar ownership? Or am I just unlucky? Bet its the latter lol.
If it makes you feel any better, I had a similar number of things that needed doing to my 2009 XFR when I got it: e-diff motor replaced; 2x water pumps (one replaced by the dealer, that went within 3 months of ownership); sticky fuel filler cap; TPMS sensors going off even with tyres at 34psi. Despite having more things fail in the first 3 months of ownership than my previous car had during the 4 years of my ownership, I'm loving it more and more each day!

I figure when you get a 2nd hand car, there are always likely to be initial faults (probably part of the reason why the previous owner decided to sell it). Even if the car's German.

I like the colour of your XFR btw