XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Painfull first few months of Xfr ownership

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painfull first few months of Xfr ownership

Hi all. I got my 2010 xfr in April 2017 with 52k and a warranty thankfully. In the last 4 months the following faults have occured;

1. Windscreen wash fluid low. This needed a new float switch and pump as old pump was leaking fluid into the loom.

2. New water pump. Bearings failed and pulley was all over the place. No fluid lost though.

3. Now the a/c condenser has developed a leak and needs replacing.

Is this typical of Jaguar ownership? Or am I just unlucky? Bet its the latter lol.

I have owned Subaru Sti's for the last 11 years and never had so much go wrong with them in such a short space of time. I love the Jag but that love is tarnishing with these faults/breakages. Im losing faith in the car tbh.

I did not get the impression they were any less reliable than other cars when i did my research before i purchased the car. But if this unreliability continues im going to have to get rid.

If you have had your xf for a while, whats your experience? Thankfully the warranty has been good intil now but its still a pita.

Attached Thumbnails Painfull first few months of Xfr ownership-20170507_181103.jpg  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Waterpump is a common problem. Car tend to be pretty solid. It may have a few quirks compared to a Subaru, bc there are more gadgets.

The only other common issue is a rough idle.

I'm on my 5th jaguar and all have been pretty reliable if maintained. None of them had a/c problems or any other strange issues. My dads xf has 85k, miles and only had a waterpump done.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Mine has had the
Water pump
Differential
And all 4 rotors
replaced all before I bought the car with 52000 mi in addition to having the supercharger rebuilt .

The AC condenser
Cooling fan and controller
Intercooler water pump
and coolant recover tank have been done since I've owned it. I've got buds with
An 2011 E63 that even the dealer cant get the check engine light to stay off.
A 2013 BMW 550 that burning oil. This level of sophistcation and performance just ain't cheap.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 08-06-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

I did a ton of repairs to mine when I first got it, all under factory or extended warranty:

Differential
Rear Shock Mount
Interior Light Panel
Windshield Delaminated
Dash Leather Bubbled

Supercharger Coolant Pump
Broken Half Shaft (My Fault)
HD Radio Module

The first group happened very early in my ownership. I blame that on the previous owner who obviously didn't do anything to fix the car. Within 6 months all was good in my eyes. Have only had the two non-self-inflicted issues in the past 3+ years.

You have a warranty, as do I. Enjoy the car and the protection the warranty provides.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:40 AM

What was the issue with the differential guys?

Old 08-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kirk Holmes
What was the issue with the differential guys?
Early XFR'S had issues with their diffs. It was something that was wrong from the factory. Can't remember exactly what. If you search you will find.

I noticed the issue on my test drive but knew I still had factory warranty so wasn't that worried about it. You could feel the clutch packs weren't doing what they were supposed to do in slower left and hand corners, but especially left hand corners it seem like it was more pronounced.

I told the dealer I purchased it from that there was an issue with the diff and then they would always say that there was nothing wrong with it and it was normal. Shortly after I received a message on my dash panel that said there was an E-diff failure so I knew that it was done. Got it replaced and everything's been fine since. Dealer got fired then as well.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Mine has had the
Water pump
Differential
And all 4 rotors
replaced all before I bought the car with 52000 mi in addition to having the supercharger rebuilt .

The AC condenser
Cooling fan and controller
Intercooler water pump
and coolant recover tank have been done since I've owned it. I've got buds with
An 2011 E63 that even the dealer cant get the check engine light to stay off.
A 2013 BMW 550 that burning oil. This level of sophistcation and performance just ain't cheap.
Ahh... Water pump x2 I lost it AGAIN today...lol you jinxed me.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:13 AM

Oh Will. Im sorry to hear that. Was the second one a newer improved version? Or am i imagining that they exist.

Hope your back on the road soon. I get mine back today hopefully. My wifes Mercedes C250 is not a patch on the xfr

Last edited by Kirk Holmes; 08-07-2017 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member

That's crazy. And to think that mine has the original at almost 60K. Hoping they find it leaking when I go in for my yearly oil change so I can get it replaced under warranty.