XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Park Brake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2017, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Brake Fault

Hi

I have a Jaguar XF 2010 model 3.0 litre - recently I get this error message "Cannot Apply Park Brake" - Its totally Intermittent - I took it to the garage i brought the car and he said it was the brake pads - I replaced them but still no joy. I get this error when I apply the hand brake in "N" or "P" mode. Also in "D" when I am stationary in Traffic lights - the mechanic says I should not apply park brake until the engine is turned off ! ??

any thoughts on the errors

Thanks

Old 03-02-2017, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

I think the handbook tells you that you can apply the brake at lights. (Even it doesn't say so I can't see why it would not be OK - it's OK for the S-Type with similar brake.)

The error might be a low battery (often is on S-Types, and they share a LOT of parts etc).

Old 03-02-2017, 08:21 AM

thanks for the quick reply jagv8 - but curious why would the battery low show up saying "cannot apply park brake" - misleading isnt ?

Old 03-02-2017, 08:31 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Jagv8 is correct and the shop youre going to is a perfect example of why I say if you don't go to the dealer at least go to a shop that specializes in Jaguars. The reason a low battery can do this fault and others is because a low battery to all the modules on cars is like running a marathon with your hand covering your mouth. ps you can apply the parking brake at ANY time, running or not and even while driving.

The following users liked this post:
mel8o8o (03-05-2023)
Old 03-02-2017, 08:47 AM

Yep true but dealers are nearly 20 -25% expensive but agree where you are coming from. but isn't this error misleading ? how much does a new battery cost ?

Last edited by krssubbu; 03-02-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

You can test the current one. You can also get a ctek (or the like) to smart charge and maintain it full.

A jag indy will tend to know a lot because they have to. Some dealers are great but some are not (and they all cost more than an indy).

If you're a DIY kind (battery is pretty simple) and want a new battery try www.tayna.co.uk

BTW the EPB (park brake) will be tested on every MoT and in effect the car is moving (on rollers) - it really is an emergency brake as well as park brake.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-03-2017 at 04:53 AM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by krssubbu
Yep true but dealers are nearly 20 -25% expensive but agree where you are coming from. but isn't this error misleading ? how much does a new battery cost ?
LOL Ill share a car I had last year. Stype comes in with a customer for park brake fault that a indy shop had replaced the module and brake apply switch and sent here to us to program the new module. Of course the advisor tells me the car will need to be jumped and first words out of my mouth are "great, they charge her for parts she didn't need when she really needs a new battery!"
charged the battery and programmed the new module which everything worked fine and recommended a new battery. Declined of course. 3 days later comes back with the same parking brake fault. Shes mad and said the other shop said we did something wrong (yeah of course) no you need a battery. Gave est. for battery and diag charge. then here comes the advisor and manager. You want to charge diag for here problem. "no I gave a diagnosis a few days ago for free. Nobody wanted to listen then because it was free, so now you can pay for my experience that diag. it without looking at the car but took me 18 years to learn and know problems like this. you can internal the time if you want to but I would be asking why she didn't come here first......
Her response was because we're expensive! Well how expensive was a shop that charged you $1100 dollars for parts you didn't need when a battery is what you needed for a couple hundred bucks and no diag charge?
So manager paid me the diag charge internally, she bought the battery which yes fixed the car and she left learning a much more expensive lesson than needed. FYI cruise unavailable is another indicator. There is now battery monitors that are on the negative terminal to monitor voltage both in and out of the battery for proper charging and condition that goes through a series of warning on the touch screen. This has to be reset when ever a new battery is installed. But again people go wherever to get a new battery and this is never reset then and wonder why other issues come up. Cars are WAY more advanced in so many areas now that days of fixing cars accurately without the proper knowledge get you in trouble real quick. Which is why is stick with what I know best, Jaguars. Can I fix others? yes, but the learning curve is high, special tools, mistakes etc just is not worth the hassle to me or a owner. Im speaking of drivability of course not brainless stuff like brakes or suspension although Ive seen issues in those areas that makes me shake my head..... Bye time to go work....