XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Parkbrake Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 08:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Parkbrake Fault

Once again i find myself working on this jaguar. This time it left me stranded 30 miles from home because the Parkbrake decided to Not release. I called the dealership and the lady told me to unhook the battery to reset the car. It didnt work, i pulled fuse R32 which i read online was the fuse for the EPB. that didnt work. i unplugged the module in the trunk wall and that too failed to make it release. Finally she told me to just have it towed to jaguar so they could look at it.
At this point im pretty much fed up with dropping $300 every time i turn around with this thing and every time it decides to have an Electronic Sneeze. So i took the rear wheel off, grapped a pair of bolt cutters and cut the Cable to the caliper so i could go home.
It worked. The car drives now. Ofcourse the EPB is a thing of the past which is fine with me, but now it leaves the 'Parkbrake Fault' Message and light on. is there any way to trick the system into thinking its working or should i just cover up the light with a piece of Tape?

Old 07-20-2014, 08:45 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow dude...that was a pretty aggressive course of action haha. You may have made the problem more expensive to fix and certainly the car would be harder to sell or trade in until you get it repaired.

Good luck on getting it resolved. I would not put tape over the light unless you plan to keep the car forever and legitimately don't care about getting your e-brake fixed.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Just curious why anyone would use the parking brake on an automatic? I have been driving automatics for 30 years and I have never used a parking brake even when parking on steep hills.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 260 Posts

Stopped for a lengthy period in Neutral, with stop start this is pretty convenient.

When stopped on a significant incline, especially if leaving the vehicle, then use of the park brake is recommended and in some places legally required. The transmission pawl brake wears on release under tension (and can make an alarming noise as well).

I always apply the park brake if someone is entering or leaving my vehicle while the engine is running.

A functioning emergency brake is legally required in all jurisdictions, trying to use the Park function for this can be very expensive!

Old 07-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagular
Stopped for a lengthy period in Neutral, with stop start this is pretty convenient.

When stopped on a significant incline, especially if leaving the vehicle, then use of the park brake is recommended and in some places legally required. The transmission pawl brake wears on release under tension (and can make an alarming noise as well).

I always apply the park brake if someone is entering or leaving my vehicle while the engine is running.

A functioning emergency brake is legally required in all jurisdictions, trying to use the Park function for this can be very expensive!
I would tend to agree with you except I have driven all over the country and done all those things without ever using the parking brake for 30 years and none of those problems has ever happened to me.

Some people brake with their left foot, some people put their car in park at stop lights, some people do all sorts of things I would never do, so...

Old 07-20-2014, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Originally Posted by lotusespritse
Just curious why anyone would use the parking brake on an automatic? I have been driving automatics for 30 years and I have never used a parking brake even when parking on steep hills.
Apart from being a legal requirement in some places... One day you may find your car fell off the pawl and ran away, with horrific results. Remember this post on that day.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

If it hasn't done it in 30 years, I probably won't be alive by the time it does it. In fact, I have never heard of anyone's auto transmission park lock failing. You see, the automatics are DESIGNED to be able to stop the car when in park. That's its job.

If you use the EPB there's a good chance you won't be able to move your car when that breaks. Remember this post when you end up like the OP. I'll be laughing my head off.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

In fairness I know I should use the e-brake alongside of putting the car in park but I rarely do unless my car is parked on an incline. Which is almost never. I still don't think I could ever bring myself to straight up cut the e-brake cable though!

Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Iknow it was drastic lol. but i was not about to pay hundreds to have it towed to the Jag dealership only to turn around and pay them another several hundred (at least)to fix it. Odd thing is i Never even use the stupid park brake and apprently when there is a problem in the EPB system it automatically locks, similar to air brakes on a train or 18wheeler.
I put the fuse R32 back in because it apperently causes all hell to break loose if its removed (ABS, dsc, cruise, Transmission). Soon as i put it back everything went back to normal.
Now i just need to find a way to bypass the error message for the EPB.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM

Scratch that. DSC and ABS lights have come back on.