XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Parking Assist not available - see your dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Assist not available - see your dealer

Moved this from the 260 forum - they're probably too new to have experienced problems with the backup cameras.

Been a member here a few years, but haven't been in the forum for quite a while. BECAUSE I HAVEN'T HAD TO POP THE HOOD ON THIS BABY!!!! HOORAY! However, the honeymoon's over.
First question: Is the light in the roof button supposed to be lit when the camera's on or off? I've mashed the button half a dozen times with the car off, started, reverse, etc. and all I get is blinking. With one of those combinations, I got a few seconds of the camera but it shut off.
Second question: I suspect a corroded connector. Where can I find wiring diagram and connector locations for the XF? I don't see any complaints about the assist in the XF Forum and I may be starting from scratch.
Third question: Is there any kind of diagnostic or reset procedure built into the car?
Jaguar spoiled me rotten with this backup camera - first one I ever had. And now I'm dying without it!

2014 XF, 52K miles. And I'm not in NC anymore - moved to rainy MD.

Old 02-08-2020, 06:27 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

there is a very thin wiring harness up front, mine must have rubbed through the insulation because of the plastic clip that held it in place. I bought new (used sensors) but that was not my issue. When I pulled the bumper and installed the new sensor that the jaguar dealer said was bad, it still did not work, A bit more investigation and found the broken wire. Harness was like 50 dollars

I may have the old harness here somewhere if you want to try to repair it, I'll send it to you for postage only

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...8/#post2040292

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...5/#post2094900

Last edited by Jssaab; 02-08-2020 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:28 PM

Jssaab: Very interesting offer. Must say many thanks. But give me tomorrow to see if I can isolate it to the (front bumper?) I see a trick in the forum to turn the system on and listen for a high pitched whine at each sensor. Let me try that first.

Old 02-09-2020, 03:38 PM

Jssaab: Well, its 10 degrees warmer and dried out today. Parking Assist is working fine. Again I thank your for the offer, but I don't think it will address my problem,
I'm pretty convinced the problem is corroded connectors. I'm getting similar behavior with the Eco start/stop system - it only works above 70 degrees. I'm sure there are connectors all over this car, none of which are accessible and only a couple of which might be contributing. I don't yet have a sensible plan of attack, but my first step will be to find some XF wiring diagrams. I do appreciate your response and willingness to help.

BTW, the trick to listen for the sensors chirping doesn't work on this car. I can't shift into reverse to turn the system on without starting the car (automatic transmission). I was hoping to do that next time it messed up and narrow down the lines I needed to find. I started it and tried but couldn't hear anything on sensors I know were working.

Last edited by TerryinNC; 02-09-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add pertinent thoughts
Old 02-09-2020, 07:40 PM
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I could never hear them either, I took mine to my dealer ( they are great an always willing to diagnose for free. Told me exactly which sensor it was.

I bought a used set of sensors (as in my post) pulled the bumper and noticed the broken and corroded wire ( I saw a post with someone with the same problem) The wires in the harness for the sensors are very thin and held in place by plastic clips, that's where it broke, water got in and it was green with corrosion.

It wire was broken right where the the affected sensor was.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:09 PM

I'll follow your lead. Next time it quits I'll traipse down to the dealer and have them locate it. Then I'll take the bumper covers off before I buy anything. Thanks.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:33 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryinNC
I'll follow your lead. Next time it quits I'll traipse down to the dealer and have them locate it. Then I'll take the bumper covers off before I buy anything. Thanks.
You don't need to wait for it to fail, it stores a fault code for the exact sensor(s) that have failed. If it's multiple most likely the loom.

Also you can listen to them, put it in reverse, apply handbrake, then you can get out the car and they will stay active.

Old 02-10-2020, 07:00 AM

Rhys: Thanks for the thoughts. I have an OBD reader, but I expect its one of the "private" codes - do you happen to know what the code is?
I used the emergency brake and started the car, but I couldn't hear anything, even while it was beeping inside the car. Maybe too much engine noise.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 27 Posts

yeah you would need a specific JLR one to read the codes from it. But this is the perfect reason to grab one. I use either SDD (not easy to use) or an iCarSoft v2 JLR, the icarsoft cost around £130 and will tell you exactly what sensor it is thats gone. You would probably be looking at that much if you're thinking of going to the dealer to get them to look at it, this way you will have it for the future.